Family Footie Rivalries

... are supported by members of your family? This is just aimed at a bit of lighthearted banter to brighten up our end of season.

Moving around the country and second marriages produce a hell of a lot more relatives and footie teams. So these are our family rivalries and, yes, we've moved around a fair bit so I'm not going to explain the reasons.

Me - Latics from day 1

Married a Chelsea supporter (If she supported Taggart United, we wouldn't have lasted 24 hours)

Son (Mine) - Newcastle United

Grandson #1 - Hull City

Grandson #2 - Chelsea

Daughter - West Ham

Grandsons #3 & 4 - West Ham

Grandson #5 - Too young to make his mind up, so I'll have to work on him before his mother does

Stepson - Swindon Town

Brother-in-law & Sister-in-law - Portsmouth

Nephew - Portsmouth & Havant and Waterlooville (Plus Latics when we play Sarfampton)

Adopted brother (He's actually a very close friend of many years and an adopted Tic) - Bath City

There you go, I wonder how many other teams are supported by our nearest & dearest?

Edited by Bristolatic

Mine's not that interesting but, here goes....

Paternal grandad (deceased) : Latics

Maternal grandad (deceased) : Latics

Mum : Latics

Dad : Latics

Me : Latics (and Chonburi)

Wife : Chonburi

I also have an uncle who claims to be a Un*ted fan but has been to BP hundreds more times than he's been to O*d Tr*fford.

Edited by ThaiLatic

Fairly boring United, City and Latics relations.

me latics from the off..always will be

me mum is a liverpool fan

me dad supports anyone whos doing well

ex wife manure fan..remarried a leeds fan

my son oldham from the off like me

daughter,although says she is a manure fan cos mum is,has been to 4 latics matches now and enjoys it

Ex Grandad - Latics

Uncles - Latics

Cousins - Latics

Mum/Dad/Brother - Latics

Get the jist...... :lol:

I'd like to know how people we recruited to being Oldham fans.

I first went because I liked the Swindon goalkeeper ansd I was convinced by a 'kind of' oldham fan. Then it just became my blood. Cycling across was actually fun.

Do most people come from what their dads watch? Is it local? Is actual product relevant (it was with me)?

I first went because I liked the Swindon goalkeeper ansd I was convinced by a 'kind of' oldham fan. Then it just became my blood. Cycling across was actually fun.

Do most people come from what their dads watch? Is it local? Is actual product relevant (it was with me)?

I remember being took my Dad and occasionally my Grandad and mum would come - (ma + pa, still season ticket holders as well), when I was 7 years ago - stood next to the tunnel, the smell of players' heat rub,the oxo, the smoke and in crowds similar to what are here today, the atmosphere for me seemed incredibly exciting - then to the back of the chaddy end, leaning on a blue barrier, under the amber lights, stood at the back of the chaddy end, with crushed crisps and a flask in a bag for us all, waiting for the game to start, until 2 minutes before the start of the game, some 6ft 5' giant stood right in front of us, despite us being there since 2;15 - he usually ended up with mi owd fella bellowing down his lugholes for 90minutes, hoping he'd shift.

The Junior Latics, ball boy, mascot, then onto the Booze cruiser - all helping towards the education of being a Latics fan.

That's a social education, you just can't teach :wink:

My parents moved from Hull to Oldham before I was a tremble in me Dad's kneecaps. Dad was a very good amateur footballer and just loved the game. He hoped and prayed I wouldn't be born on a Saturday afternoon as he would have wanted to be on the opposite side of Sheepfoot Lane to the hospital. He took me to my first game when I was 5, so it's all his fault.

The "adopted brother" I referred to when opening the thread is a chap I worked with for many years, the closest of friends. I happened to mention I was going to a game and he decided to come with me. He's been a Tic ever since and, although he's supported Bath City for many years, Latics come first.

Dad - City fan, used to go all the time, but not been in last 20 years, still follows them to an extent.

Grandad - United fan, always used to go back in the old times, watched them on tele, until he passed away.

Uncle - Oldham fan, still goes to this day, ST holder for 35 years, started taking me when i was 8 and not looked back since.

Dad - oldham fan, was a season ticket holder for 40+ years

mum - was a city fan until my dad convinced her going to latics would be better

nephew - latics fan - he had no choice, me and my dad started taking him when he was about 5, got his first season ticket when he was 7 - same as what my dad did with me

uncle - united fan, though he's starting to lose interest the last couple of years

cousins - one oldham fan, two united fans

Dad - Celtic/Oldham

Brother - Oldham (lost interest years back and never goes anymore.)

Uncles - 2 Rochdale. 1 likes Lincoln because his company owns an exec box there. The rest are more into motor racing.

Cousins - 1 Arsenal (never goes), 6 'Dale (4 of them go), 1 Oldham (never goes), 4 United (none of them go).

All my family on my dad's side in Scotland (and those exiled to various parts of England) support Celtic. Though one or two of the exiled lot now go the odd games at Norwich, Villa and Birmingham. Lad who married my cousin is a Hearts/Liverpool fan.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Dad - Celtic/Oldham

Brother - Oldham (lost interest years back and never goes anymore.)

Uncles - 2 Rochdale. 1 likes Lincoln because his company owns an exec box there. The rest are more into motor racing.

Cousins - 1 Arsenal (never goes), 6 'Dale (4 of them go), 1 Oldham (never goes), 4 United (none of them go).

All my family on my dad's side in Scotland (and those exiled to various parts of England) support Celtic. Though one or two of the exiled lot now go the odd games at Norwich, Villa and Birmingham. Lad who married my cousin is a Hearts/Liverpool fan.

Not called Liam Cotterial by any chance is he?

Mum - Everton (Just through her partner who's an Everton ST holder)

Dad - United when he was a nipper, around Busby Babes era. Then followed Citeh for a while during the 60's/70's, and since moving to Oldham in the mid-late 70's became a Latics fan.

Grandad (RIP) - United fan, used to go a lot in the 50's but just held a soft spot for them until his passing.

Sisters - 1 Burnley but very very casually and one Spuzz (even more casually!)

Fiance - has a soft spot for Citeh, but she follows Latics a little bit through me.

Nephew - Liverpool, through his dad but he's not a massive footy fan. I've taken him to Latics a few times but never really caught the bug.

Cousins - 1 Liverpool, 1 Partick Thistle and 1 Rangers.

Okay here are my relatives of shame:

Dad - Liverpool

Mum - just watches whoever dad's watching on tv (No loyalty unless It's Elvis)

Me - latics since about 14 but before that was forced into watchin MOTD on a sunday - UTD edge it as they were well Manchester

Ball and chain - Utd until last season then converted to latics - God please forgive me

Step-son - UTD, however come to latics the odd game and does look out for our results, its a start

Middle sister, BILaw, nieces - Manure

Younger sister, Livepool, BILaw, Manure, 2 nephew now latics since this season and I have two other younger nephews to work on once they are outta the pram

Oh the shame..... :disappointed:

Not called Liam Cotterial by any chance is he?

Nope.

Could say alot of my family up there are Latics fans - they all look out for Latics results and make sure they have the opposition on their acca's (on my advice). The youngest cousin is probably the most keen and clued up on us and his bedroom is covered in Latics flags, shirts, picture of BP. Not that I had any influence/brainwashing to do with that. Obviously. :grin: He keeps pestering his dad to bring him down for a weekend to come and see a game but I keep telling him he'd be better off using his season ticket at Parkhead than making a trip to BP.

One of my cousins who passed away the other year used to be great for football banter. He followed Sheff Wednesday home and away for a number of years. Then started to follow United home and away when Wednesday started becoming crap. Couldnt fault him though - he went all over Europe watching them. His programme collection was unreal.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

... are supported by members of your family? This is just aimed at a bit of lighthearted banter to brighten up our end of season.

Moving around the country and second marriages produce a hell of a lot more relatives and footie teams. So these are our family rivalries and, yes, we've moved around a fair bit so I'm not going to explain the reasons.

Me - Latics from day 1

Married a Chelsea supporter (If she supported Taggart United, we wouldn't have lasted 24 hours)

Son (Mine) - Newcastle United

Grandson #1 - Hull City

Grandson #2 - Chelsea

Daughter - West Ham

Grandsons #3 & 4 - West Ham

Grandson #5 - Too young to make his mind up, so I'll have to work on him before his mother does

Stepson - Swindon Town

Brother-in-law & Sister-in-law - Portsmouth

Nephew - Portsmouth & Havant and Waterlooville (Plus Latics when we play Sarfampton)

Adopted brother (He's actually a very close friend of many years and an adopted Tic) - Bath City

There you go, I wonder how many other teams are supported by our nearest & dearest?

Hmm Interesting

Me: Oldham

Dad: Man City

Mothers Family: Portsmouth

One Cousin (Mothers side) Man United

Fathers Family: Mixture of Man United and Man City

Fiance: Was once a red but now shes an Oldham fan whether she likes it or not :)

Soon to be grandfather in law: Hull City

Fiance's Family: Cheltenham/Norwich/Man United

We have definitely gone against the grain in our family

On my mums side...

Grandparents: Both united fans

Dad: Formerly a die hard city fan but lost interest in the 80's and started following Latics then

Me and Bro: Latics fans, first match in august 1994, got season tickets in 95 and been following since then.

On dads side....

My dads dad was die hard united, his stepdad was city

And the other uncles/cousins are split 50/50 between man u and man city, although the man u lot are most defo not armchair man u fans, they go to games when they can.

Me and me Dad- Latics

Brother- Citeh

Male Cousin- Spurs

Uncle- Cardiff

Female Cousin- Man U (plastic)

New male cousin in law- Ipswich

I've some distant second cousins who are Red scousers too but most of my family don't really follow football (or if they do I don't know what team)