Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote

Election 2010 - Post Campaign Vote  

192 members have voted

1. 1. If the Election took place today who would you vote for ?

• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Liberal Democrats
    • UK Independence Party
    • Green Party
    • British National Party
    • Independent Candidate
    • Other
    • I am not going to vote
    • Spoil Vote

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So says the man who blindly supports the party who removed the right to protest in Pariliament Square without licence ;-)

To be fair that law had a lot of potential and demonstrated the far reaching influence of effective policy making. It kept somebody in a job down the local nick.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/education/10123297.stm

Yet another crystal clear example of empty Liebour promises and 13 wasted years.

Labours aim was to get more kids to University... The top universities was not the aim... Now your not going to suggest they failed at doing that surely ? No I didn't think so...

Your boys are seriously talking about rejecting the human rights act... Now that would be the mother of all sell outs for the Liberals...

Although I must admit I liked most of Cleggs proposals set out today...

Edited by oafc0000

Yes they got more kids into pretend universities doing rubbish courses with zero prospects. What happened to the aspirations of increasing social mobility? Making it easier for the most intelligent poor kids to get into the best universities on real degree courses that will launch them into valuable professional careers?

Ah, the Human Rights Act. It'll be interesting to see what happens with that. I'm sure almost everybody, even those nasty Tories, applauds the intentions and aims of the Human Rights Act. It's just that it's yet another example of badly written legislation that freuqently ends up defying logic and defeating itself.

Personally I'd rather re-write it than scrap it.

Yes most of those courses are bollocks, but at least it gives them something vaguely intellectual to think about whilst stacking shelves in Tesco.

So you voted Liberal Tory to fix the situation... Interesting :lol:

Lets see what they do :D

Yes most of those courses are bollocks, but at least it gives them something vaguely intellectual to think about whilst stacking shelves in Tesco.

I've got a History and Politics degree from Sheffield, a Red Brick Uni.

Done me cock all good in my career, even less since I went into IT over 10 years ago.

So what if a kid does Madonna studies at Scunthorpe Institute, I'd rather they do that than not even try to expand the limits of their education.

Done me cock all good in my career, even less since I went into IT over 10 years ago.

So what if a kid does Madonna studies at Scunthorpe Institute, I'd rather they do that than not even try to expand the limits of their education.

I would argue the skills you gained during obtaining that degree helped you some what to make a decent career for yourself...

Most degrees have similar themes... Research, information gathering, analysis, report writing etc...

Time will tell - just having that on your cv may become more important as you look to move into more senior positions.

I have no argument with that. What I object to is the building up of entirely false hopes as to what that course and qualification will lead to.

I would argue the skills you gained during obtaining that degree helped you some what to make a decent career for yourself...

Most degrees have similar themes... Research, information gathering, analysis, report writing etc...

Which would be the same skills the Scunthorpe Madonna graduate would gain....

I have no argument with that. What I object to is the building up of entirely false hopes as to what that course and qualification will lead to.

That is actually a decent point... But I don't think the government did that...

It is true that if you got to University you are statistically more likely to earn more / hold higher positions... Its bloody obvious that if you do a degree in Media Studies your options are going to be limited...

If people went into such degrees thinking they would be the next CEO of BA then I don't think the blame lies with the Government there...

Time will tell - just having that on your cv may become more important as you look to move into more senior positions.

Move into more senior positions? Oh how I lol'd.

I think you'll find I'm doing rather ok thank you very much.

I would argue that the government has been guilty of overstating the potential for all these extra graduates, but they are far from alone.

I would also argue that the limits of beag teeets's education were expanded somewhat more rigorously doing History and Politics at Sheffield than if you'd done Madonna Studies at Scunthorpe.

I am a great believer in learning for the sake of learning. And I believe the most intelligent students from every background deserve the chance to expand their education as far as they can - and there is no getting away from the fact the best places to go to expand your mind the furthest are the best red brick universities.

I would argue that the government has been guilty of overstating the potential for all these extra graduates, but they are far from alone.

I would also argue that the limits of beag teeets's education were expanded somewhat more rigorously doing History and Politics at Sheffield than if you'd done Madonna Studies at Scunthorpe.

I am a great believer in learning for the sake of learning. And I believe the most intelligent students from every background deserve the chance to expand their education as far as they can - and there is no getting away from the fact the best places to go to expand your mind the furthest are the best red brick universities.

I didn't go to a red brick University... I went to one of the converted polys, had a fantastic time, and learnt a great deal...

You say the government overstated the potential... Show me where ?

Move into more senior positions? Oh how I lol'd.

I think you'll find I'm doing rather ok thank you very much.

Without knowing your current role, it's easy to assume you can still advance further - if you want to of course. You're not Mark Hurd are you? Steve Jobs? :wink:

As it happens I'm doing also doing ok for myself in IT without any degree at all. But I suspect the time may come - quite soon - when having at least a BSc after my name would have some small advantage. Having said that, hopefully in my case the lack of BSc will very soon be superseded by more relevant professional letters.