id have him as a coach or assistant rather than a manager. id like to see tta make a decision in the next few weeks so we have a chance of getting some decent free players in. and its been mentioned before but im sure therell be alot of potential managers in the stands tomorrow to see what theyll inherit.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...he-job-for-butt

Not as daft as it seems!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being in the Chron doesn't make it any less daft. They've probably only run the story cos he's someone most readers will have heard of.

Or more likely because I posted this thread they made their story from it. I seem to remember a similar Lee Sinnott rumour about Smalley to Blackpool making the chron, when he had completely made it up. Crap journalism, but hopefully it will come true and win me some money! :grin:

If he came here as a player/manager I'd be shocked. He was a world class holding midfielder in his day and even at this level now he'd do a job. He's the sort of player we missed last season and he'd allow the likes of Furman and Stephens to play their attacking game and get forward, as Butt wouldn't be charging forward at his age, he'd literally anchor in the midfield allowing the younger guys to do the attacking without the fear of leaving a gap in the centre of the park.

That said I'm still not sold on his managerial credentials and I'm not sure we can afford to take the risk. Player - Yes. Player/Coach - Yes. Player/Assistant Manager - Yes. But not the manager.

I must admit when I first heard he was in the frame I wasn't overly impressed, "BUTT" :blink: thinking about it, Hes a name, he would probably put a few more bums on seats and he will know what the Newcastle and Manure have in their youth/reserve teams. There could be gems in there that could do a job for us.

It could just work? it could, why not, he wouldnt be the only ex manure player to get a job managing and do ok. I hope TTA and Hardy take a good luck and not get dazzled by the fact hes a name. If Gray stays or we get Bunn, they have experience of Latics and they could be invaluble in helping Butt if hes the man. There must be substance to him tho and the board have to back him.

I have decided whoever it is he gets at least 2 seasons come hell of high water for me. I'm sick of the manager merry go round at BP so I will stick to my guns this time ...................ahem! :wink:

He's Bald

Ex red,

But plays for Oldham instead ,

Nicky Butt, Nicky Butt...

:grin::grin::grin:

I must admit when I first heard he was in the frame I wasn't overly impressed, "BUTT" :blink: thinking about it, Hes a name, he would probably put a few more bums on seats and he will know what the Newcastle and Manure have in their youth/reserve teams. There could be gems in there that could do a job for us.

It could just work? it could, why not, he wouldnt be the only ex manure player to get a job managing and do ok. I hope TTA and Hardy take a good luck and not get dazzled by the fact hes a name. If Gray stays or we get Bunn, they have experience of Latics and they could be invaluble in helping Butt if hes the man. There must be substance to him tho and the board have to back him.

I have decided whoever it is he gets at least 2 seasons come hell of high water for me. I'm sick of the manager merry go round at BP so I will stick to my guns this time ...................ahem! :wink:

He's Bald

Ex red,

But plays for Oldham instead ,

Nicky Butt, Nicky Butt...

:grin::grin::grin:

Lee Clark seems to be doing a good job at Udders so I dont see why Butt couldn't make his name here?

Butt would be a bit of a gamble to say the least... I think we will be on thin ice next season and experience is needed. Gannon's the man I reckon.

Gannon won't come cheap though

And we have gone for experience three times in Penney, Moore and Talbot. Neither of them have worked.

I agree that experience will count against butt as he has no management or coaching experience, but the likes of Gray and Bunn whom have started from the bottom ie youth team, then worked up to reserve team coach and then number 2, I would not rule out.

Butt could be useful for bringing players in. He's a respected name in english football, could be a key factor in persuading players to come to BP. It would certainly be a gamble though. Maybe he could persuade a certain other ginger midfielder to join him? :lipsrsealed2:

Lee Clark seems to be doing a good job at Udders so I dont see why Butt couldn't make his name here?

The difference is Lee Clark has been given a big budget to bring in the better players. There would be no point giving the job to Butt without substantial funds for wages and or transfers. Sure, he'll have all the contacts to bring the right players in but if we are only offering peanuts his influence will count for nothing.

If we are to take a major gamble in bringing in Butt we will need to give him a decent budget to work with and I just can't see that happening.

My choice would be Frankie Bunn with Gregan as player coach...a past and present legend likely to put bums on seat.

theres as much chance of butt coming to BP as manager or assistant as england have of winning the world cup - not much

He certainly won't come as player/coach, player/assistant, coach or assistant. It is player/manager or manager, like Ince at Macclesfield.

He can probably get a coaching job at Premiership level, so why would he even think of anything other than the premier job at Oldham?

Steve McMahon's an accomplished manager at this level.

I think accomplished is strectching it a bit

Mid table medicrity.

Though he probably did not have much money

He has been a manager for 6 years, and Commercial Director so not great int he footbal managing stakes.

theres as much chance of butt coming to BP as manager or assistant as england have of winning the world cup - not much

another thing, if we want some stability and sticking with the same manager, someone like nicky butt or gary speed would either do badly and would have to go or would be successful and get snapped up like ince did at macclesfield. unless you can put some sort of release clause for other clubs to pay compensation, i wouldnt get one of them at BP at the moment

another thing, if we want some stability and sticking with the same manager, someone like nicky butt or gary speed would either do badly and would have to go or would be successful and get snapped up like ince did at macclesfield. unless you can put some sort of release clause for other clubs to pay compensation, i wouldnt get one of them at BP at the moment

I'd take a manager doing so well he got poached any day of the week. If we get them on a contract then we will be compensated.

I'm not really for or against Butt/Speed, as I know little of their ability. I think that is the type of thing people in football hear on the grapevine. We'll certainly have a better knowledge of Dux/Gregan, but that might not be a good thing. :unsure:

Like many others I'd like Gannon, but his history hardly screams out stability either. And I doubt he'd sign a contract either.

Shows what a hard game picking a manager is.

Steve McMahon's an accomplished manager at this level.

He was signed in early 2005 as the manager of Perth Glory F.C. for the inaugural Australian A-League season. However his tenure at the club was short. A combination of media speculation, poor signings, indifferent form, player discontent, a poor media image and an apparent dispute with the board saw him sacked in December 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McMahon

Sounds familiar :unsure: