A Pint at the Club

Fans Bar at the club on Match days  

149 members have voted

1. 1. If a bar was open to all fans before and after the game

• I would have a pint
    • A few Pints
    • None
    • Just go to my normal pub and have my beer there

If the club were to make an area for fans to have a beer before and after the game next season, would you have a pint or soft drink before or after the game?

? You mean like the back of the Rochdale Road end ? or the bar in the Main stand ?

Sorry confused at what you are getting at...

? You mean like the back of the Rochdale Road end ? or the bar in the Main stand ?

Hoping he meant somewhere like the Clayton, can't see where exactly though. Surely he doesn't mean the above, as we've got that already?

Me too. And my answer would be that it depends on the area. If it's a cramped corridor, with no seats or tables, like the main stand bar, then no. However, if it were set-out like a pub with luxuries such as a table to stick your pint on, in between sups, then yes.

I hope to God this doesn't mean someone thinks decent bar facilities accessible for fans in all four sides of the new ground is somehow optional.

In the shorter term, surely you only need to look at the overall reduction in bar revenue since the closure of the Royle Bar to answer the question?

The fact that the home end has no bar facility at all and the other end only has an outside kiosk is utterly laughable. It's no wonder people turn up at the last minute and can't wait to get out again.

Hoping he meant somewhere like the Clayton, can't see where exactly though. Surely he doesn't mean the above, as we've got that already?

Me too. And my answer would be that it depends on the area. If it's a cramped corridor, with no seats or tables, like the main stand bar, then no. However, if it were set-out like a pub with luxuries such as a table to stick your pint on, in between sups, then yes.

No given area to mention, just wanted to gauge peoples thoughts

If it was like Exeter City then yes nice design however if it means as Stevie says just gettting cramped then no.

That was brilliant, would love to see something like that. I think areas like they have at Forest are fine for away games where you are going to roll up and get a cheeky beer before kick-off and 3 or 4 at half time but it's not enough to get home fans in before the match, as Stevie says you aren't going to go and stand in the cold or in a concrete basement when you could be in a warm comfortable pub.

free pies and strippers...?

Hey I only offered free pies for the other game, stripping??????

Do you want me to empty BP - permantley? :grin:

Or are you offering to entertain the ladies at half time???? :lol:

I'd drink in a decent bar next to/inside the ground but I can't see one being built with the move to the new ground(?) and them knocking down the Clayton Arms. The bar at the back of the RRE is pretty crap but it's better than nothing I guess. It's just too bloody cold to be stood out there isn't it. At least the Lookers had somewhere warm to drink before and after the game. As for the daft regulations for serving beer before half time - we must be the only club who actually follows them.

The bar at Hyde was a nice little place something like that would be good

Yeah, I liked that little place too.

As for a bar. Depends if it has a TV. One of the good things about pubs around the ground is the big screens where you get to shout as much abuse at Taggart as you desire.

If the club were to make an area for fans to have a beer before and after the game next season, would you have a pint or soft drink before or after the game?

you mean somewhere like the clayton? somewhere the club decided to buy and then knock down missing out on a very good opertunity to make a fair bit of money every match day?

As for the daft regulations for serving beer before half time - we must be the only club who actually follows them.

If I remember rightly Everton shut their bar 10 minutes before kick off (as per some regulation) only to find themselves opening them up the next minute as the kick-off had been delayed.

As to the original question- if the club had somewhere serving decent beer/cider (so none of that JW lees nonsense not to mention Budweiser) with a bit of room, decent TV (preferably more than 1 so more people can see) with sky sports (not freeview) and it being warm in winter- yep I would, but often its not up to me where my mates and I go for a drink pre game but if that was available I think we would go more often than not (or certainly not spend as long in other pubs)

Not sure if this is what was alluded to with Exeter (as I was slightly the worse for wear and relaxing in a pub environment), but was that like a German game where you have a small party (not just drinking) village next* to the ground where people go beforehand? That was how things should be done for me. Not sure of our licensing regulation abilities though.

*Not inside.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Not sure if this is what was alluded to with Exeter (as I was slightly the worse for wear and relaxing in a pub environment), but was that like a German game where you have a small party (not just drinking) village next* to the ground where people go beforehand? That was how things should be done for me. Not sure of our licensing regulation abilities though.

*Not inside.

Now you're talking - they could get some massive speakers and make it dark. Not sure there'd be much skirt mind. :mmm:

Cant remember what programme or dvd i saw it on but was some dutch club, not massive i think championship sized club that had an awesome bar underneath the stand with glass doors that led out into the stands. Surely someone else has seen this or knows which club?

This is what we need to be aiming for with our new ground, making it a place you will want to be at, before the game, during the game and after the game. Moving to a new area, getting the fans in to the routine of being inside the ground giving thier money to the club cant be a bad thing. We need to invest just that bit more to make sure its quality, but i fully expect the old latics it'll do half arsed ill thought out ground.... You can see the effect a poor ground can have right in front of your eyes at BP, don't just move the problem elsewhere.

As long as that doesn't mean free pies for the strippers...

apparently this idea is being worked on and...allegedly...the strippers actually bring the pies to you :shock: ...dip yer bread :blink: