Odds for Next Manager

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul Scholes is not as 'outside' as I'd expect him to be...

given that he just signed a one year extention at £80K a week (£4.1M a year) I would think that Paul Scholes is just about as outside as anyone could get!

(unless of course the 3 amigos want to buy him out of his contract at united) :shock:

No mention of Steve Cotterill anywhere??

He's favourite for both the Coventry and Plymouth jobs.

Is it out of the question that he'd come here if neither of those came off?

He obviously wants a club and it looks like that club won't be Notts County.

Ritchie and Bunn.

That appointment would epitomise this club and it's fans who can't let go of the past.

We need someone to whip this club into shape, it's players, it's young players and the fans. We need a guy who can scout for young talent and bring them in. We need the guy we should have got last season.

Uncle James, come on down.

Out of all those mentioned on the VC list, Gannon is head and shoulders above the rest IMO. While I could understand the owners going for the cheap option or the fans favourite I think we need a manager who can make an immediate (positive) impact and I don't see any of the other managers being able to do that.

What has happened with Penney has shown that hiring a steady and safe manager with a decent lower league track record who will allow us to tread water in this league and nothing more won't work for the club at present. Whoever is hired needs to be a fresh and/or exciting choice who will bring entertainment (positive or negative) in some form which is why hiring Simpson, Ince or John Coleman would be bad choices. Gannon fits the bill, even if he gets us into the top half but gets sacked within a year for falling out with the fans/board/whoever as is likely to happen, that would count as progress for me.

Ritchie and Bunn.

That appointment would epitomise this club and it's fans who can't let go of the past.

We need someone to whip this club into shape, it's players, it's young players and the fans. We need a guy who can scout for young talent and bring them in. We need the guy we should have got last season.

Depends

Bunn as manager AR as no2 I could accept.

AR as manager Bunn as no2 absolutely not!!!!!

Ritchie and Bunn.

Well with them two we would certainly see a remarkable improvement upfront.

Whos to say them two cant whip the club into shape? Tbh, i imagine Bunn CAN scout for young talent and bring them in easily, since he has watched and nurtured plenty of talent through the city youth ransk (richards, onouha, wright-phillips etc)

Anyone reckon that once the directors have made a decision on the new manager, get his contract signed, they will put a massive sum of money on him in the bookies.. :unsure:

I had the exact same thought in post 31 of this topic- except I was trying to be subtle about such an insinuation (obviously I was too subtle)

Apart from Maxium bet will be around £25-50. Could make an extra grand or so if your in the know, but £1K isn't exactly alot to the club.

given that he just signed a one year extention at £80K a week (£4.1M a year) I would think that Paul Scholes is just about as outside as anyone could get!

(unless of course the 3 amigos want to buy him out of his contract at united) :shock:

I can't honestly see why Scholesy wouldn't want to take a paycut of £4m per year. :huh:

Well with them two we would certainly see a remarkable improvement upfront.

Whos to say them two cant whip the club into shape? Tbh, i imagine Bunn CAN scout for young talent and bring them in easily, since he has watched and nurtured plenty of talent through the city youth ransk (richards, onouha, wright-phillips etc)

I'd rather not muck about with former club legends.

There's a local man out there with proven experience who has got promotion on his C.V with Stockport. He's got a proven track record with bringing in youngsters and selling them on.

Ritchie and Bunn, yeah, it's nostalgic and it would remind people of the glory days and that's for the people that like that kind of thing. I understand where y'all coming from 'cause they're much loved by the club.

I'm in a minority which would rather let the glory days be the glory days, I don't wanna cling on, it's depressing. I'd like an appointment which would focus this club's goals on League One success in the near future. Get Gannon in to sort out the product on the pitch, to get some more young players coming through and then we can get this re-development or stadium move up and running.

Small steps, but Ritchie and Bunn is us looking backwards in truth. Brilliant players, club legends, but the right people to take this shambles of a club forward from this point? No. In the future, when we're stable on the pitch and off it. Sure, it could be given a try. Next season could be a real struggle unless we pick the right man. Gannon knows about fighting relegation, he knows about building a promotion winning side. He knows about getting the best from young players and with our 50p and a Mars Bar budget our next manager will have to rely on young players to make up our squad.

So let's put nostalgia to one side for now and look towards securing our future. Given Gannon the job to build a team for a few seasons.

Edited by Bring Back Ronnie Moore

Apart from Maxium bet will be around £25-50. Could make an extra grand or so if your in the know, but £1K isn't exactly alot to the club.

Having looked at it doesn't appear to be that way- but I'm not going to find out, think it would be right up your street though.

Having looked at it doesn't appear to be that way- but I'm not going to find out, think it would be right up your street though.

They have maximum bet on random legit football matches, you really think they're going to accept a bet of £1,000+ on something people might have inside information on, especially seeing as though we're a league one club.

I'm in a minority which would rather let the glory days be the glory days, I don't wanna cling on, it's depressing. I'd like an appointment which would focus this club's goals on League One success in the near future. Get Gannon in to sort out the product on the pitch, to get some more young players coming through and then we can get this re-development or stadium move up and running.

Small steps, but Ritchie and Bunn is us looking backwards in truth. Brilliant players, club legends, but the right people to take this shambles of a club forward from this point? No. In the future, when we're stable on the pitch and off it. Sure, it could be given a try. Next season could be a real struggle unless we pick the right man. Gannon knows about fighting relegation, he knows about building a promotion winning side. He knows about getting the best from young players and with our 50p and a Mars Bar budget our next manager will have to rely on young players to make up our squad.

So let's put nostalgia to one side for now and look towards securing our future. Given Gannon the job to build a team for a few seasons.

What he said. Let's look forward and not back.

OK. Lets narrow the filed to see what people think.

Gannon. A record of rpomotion, bit of a name, shake things up a bit , but cause confrontation and probably division. Probably put a few bums on seats.

John Coleman. A record in low budget, lower leagues, woudl unearth a gem or two. No promotion. No big increase in season ticket sales.

Andy Ritchie. Legend. Promotion out of this league, not got much of a record in the promotion of quality youths, and some good signings but not a great record. quite a few bums on seats.

Frankie Bunn. LEgend II. Good coaching credntials at City, good youths connections. progressive but not specatular career.

First time Mgr appt. Some bums on seats.

Not sure about the bums on seeats, as people willb e a bit more cynical after it did not work with Big Joe.

Who would you want if the shortlist was those. For the good of the attendances or just geting out of the division or long term?

They have maximum bet on random legit football matches, you really think they're going to accept a bet of £1,000+ on something people might have inside information on, especially seeing as though we're a league one club.

Possibly I don't know they accept big money bets (much more than a grand all the time) on other stuff and quite a few of those people have inside information on. The fact they are dumb enough to have a market for something decided by 4/5 people with no outside scrutiny means they deserve to be taken to the cleaners. But as this is a bookies all they will do is not pay out for some random reason if some outsider wins and several people in the know have had money on it.

I'd love a Gannon but seeing as I expect the list of people we can actually attract to be the most miserable yet I think we could do a lot worse than go for somebody with Latics in their heart.

In my opinion, assuming an absolute lack of affordable/'marquee' applicants, Ritchie would be the safe bet.

OK. Lets narrow the filed to see what people think.

Gannon. A record of rpomotion, bit of a name, shake things up a bit , but cause confrontation and probably division. Probably put a few bums on seats.

John Coleman. A record in low budget, lower leagues, woudl unearth a gem or two. No promotion. No big increase in season ticket sales.

Andy Ritchie. Legend. Promotion out of this league, not got much of a record in the promotion of quality youths, and some good signings but not a great record. quite a few bums on seats.

Frankie Bunn. LEgend II. Good coaching credntials at City, good youths connections. progressive but not specatular career.

First time Mgr appt. Some bums on seats.

Not sure about the bums on seeats, as people willb e a bit more cynical after it did not work with Big Joe.

Who would you want if the shortlist was those. For the good of the attendances or just geting out of the division or long term?

Whoever the new gaffer is, they're not going to have a huge budget, so any changes to the current squad will likely be free transfers/loans supplemented by youngsters making the step up.

With that in mind, the key for me is getting someone in who can work with Tony P in getting our youth system producing quality products who we then sell for fat juicy fees. That's the only way the club is going to survive long term until we have a new stadium which can generate extra much-needed revenue. If, by some miracle, we do get promoted in the short-term, we're hardly in a position to be able to sit and consolidate in the championship, so for me it's primarily about getting a solid foundation in place, allowing us to build for success in the future, ideally in a shiny new ground.

So, Gannon, then Bunn, for me.

Whoever the new gaffer is, they're not going to have a huge budget, so any changes to the current squad will likely be free transfers/loans supplemented by youngsters making the step up.

With that in mind, the key for me is getting someone in who can work with Tony P in getting our youth system producing quality products who we then sell for fat juicy fees. That's the only way the club is going to survive long term until we have a new stadium which can generate extra much-needed revenue. If, by some miracle, we do get promoted in the short-term, we're hardly in a position to be able to sit and consolidate in the championship, so for me it's primarily about getting a solid foundation in place, allowing us to build for success in the future, ideally in a shiny new ground.

So, Gannon, then Bunn, for me.

I'd go with that

Jim Gannon 5/2

Paul Simpson 9/2

Martin Gray 6/1

Sean Gregan 8/1

Lee Duxbury 9/1

Paul Ince 9/1

Andy Ritchie 9/1

Nicky Butt 10/1

Alan Knill 10/1

Denis Irwin 14/1