247 members have voted

1. 1. What you would rather see ?

• England win this years World Cup
    • Oldham gain promotion to the Championship

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about that bit in bold. I have a theory that the World Cup appeals most to casual and Premiership football fans for whom the Premiership, Europe and International football is all they know, but for many of us who follow lower league sides we feel a divide between us and the megabucks Premiership stars who strut about in England shirts, a feeling that they come from a world of top level football that doesn't involve us.

Traditionally, a large swell of the fan base following the national team have come from lower league teams ... (by lower I mean outside of the Prem)...

Edited by oafc0000

Traditionally, a large swell of the fan base following the national team have come from lower league teams ... (by lower I mean outside of the Prem)...

Something I concede in my next paragraph. I thinik it's probably true in terms of those who actually travel and support England at matches. It's the armchair brigade I suppose I'm getting at.

It always makes me laugh when people get terribly excited and animated watching England in a pub, and you then find out they don't support a team and don;t actually like football that much.

Something I concede in my next paragraph. I thinik it's probably true in terms of those who actually travel and support England at matches. It's the armchair brigade I suppose I'm getting at.

It always makes me laugh when people get terribly excited and animated watching England in a pub, and you then find out they don't support a team and don;t actually like football that much.

Sorry I fell foul of not reading your whole post :)

There must be far more away fans from the lower leagues in total than the Premiership I would have randomly speculated? And also we have to go off the beaten track, it's not exactly hard getting from Manchester/Liverpool and London or Birmingham for example, so it's no great surprise that us little 'uns are the hardcore of travelling England fans as well.

Re: them giving their tournament fees away, I suppose Lee is right and there's nothing to criticise in it. I presumed they were doing it anyway as I remembered that they gave normal match fees away. It's quite right that they should do, £1m across the whole squad over the last two years is chicken feed to them and their commercial earning potential is increased by playing for England, to say nothing of the chance to make the big bucks appearing in the next Pizza Hut ad after the tournament.

England World Cup for me.

1) Winning a trophy is there for ever. Promotion can be forgotten as soon as you are relegated - especially as the poll does not specify how it would be achieved I.e. Champions?

2) I have seen promotion and a number of seasons of higher division football with Latics and not seen England win anything (might be different if I had only seen 3rd tier football)

3) I remember the 90 WC and the 96 ECs and loved the sense of excitement across the country. Remember watching the scenes when France and Spain won the first titles and feeling envious. It might be a shared 'high' rather than our own personal one, but that is not a bad thing.

1) Winning a trophy is there for ever. Promotion can be forgotten as soon as you are relegated - especially as the poll does not specify how it would be achieved I.e. Champions?

2) I have seen promotion and a number of seasons of higher division football with Latics and not seen England win anything (might be different if I had only seen 3rd tier football)

3) I remember the 90 WC and the 96 ECs and loved the sense of excitement across the country. Remember watching the scenes when France and Spain won the first titles and feeling envious. It might be a shared 'high' rather than our own personal one, but that is not a bad thing.

Doesn't the term ... Well they never fail to fail ... apply to both Latics and England :)

In more or less equal measure I'd have said.

I prefer watching England fail though. Any nominations for the usual media scapegoat?

Edited by garcon

I heard you the first time :grin:

Its got to be england for me. If it was between oldham going to the premier league or england winning the world cup. I would choose oldham. I do feel more passionate about oldham but winning the world cup would be a once in a lifetime thing. I can't see either happening though.

I cant believe that some people on here would rather see a bunch of millionaires win rather than their bread and butter football!

+1. I am actually quite shocked by this.

Of course, I want England to win, but more than Oldham? Never!

I cant believe that some people on here would rather see a bunch of millionaires win rather than their bread and butter football!

:lol:

Non will happen. only way we will play in a different division is if we get relegated. we are no where near good enough to go up.

It is an interesting question but I'd just about go with Latics gaining promotion - JUST

The sheer fact that I've been followins Latics 18 years and have not once seen a promotion is embarrasing.

But my first Footballing memory was Italia 90 I was only 4 but I knew what was going on and how happy it made people as I was getting slightly older during the Graham Taylor I got more into Latics, then Euro 96 came along and England got better and Latics got worse. So I'd say I've got interests in both

Is that what it's about: jealousy? I don't give a :censored: how much the England players earn as long as they try and win the fecking thing. And, yes, I know, that's the problem these rich tvvats don't even TRY...

Let's say Latics were bought by some Middle East oil-rich outfit with more money than sense. They brought in the best (and most highly-paid) players in the world and we rose from the :censored: league we're in to the top four of the Prem. How would you feel about watching "a bunch of millionaires" thrash the Greedy League teams into oblivion then at our brand new stadium in Failsworth? Exactly.

As someone else said, a lot of people in this thread sound like Manure fans.. What next? Chanting "Argentina" etc.?

Perhaps, it's cos I've seen a Latics promotion and a cup final and a few semi-finals but, in the words of one of England's former managers, "I'd LOVE IT" if England won the World Cup :lol:

Is that what it's about: jealousy? I don't give a :censored: how much the England players earn as long as they try and win the fecking thing. And, yes, I know, that's the problem these rich tvvats don't even TRY...

Let's say Latics were bought by some Middle East oil-rich outfit with more money than sense. They brought in the best (and most highly-paid) players in the world and we rose from the :censored: league we're in to the top four of the Prem. How would you feel about watching "a bunch of millionaires" thrash the Greedy League teams into oblivion then at our brand new stadium in Failsworth? Exactly.

As someone else said, a lot of people in this thread sound like Manure fans.. What next? Chanting "Argentina" etc.?

Perhaps, it's cos I've seen a Latics promotion and a cup final and a few semi-finals but, in the words of one of England's former managers, "I'd LOVE IT" if England won the World Cup :lol:

Good points well put mate. There are some real sad feckers on here, the anoraks would love it etc........................

:applause1::England: