247 members have voted

1. 1. What you would rather see ?

• England win this years World Cup
    • Oldham gain promotion to the Championship

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not terribly patriotic I'm afraid. Yes I'll support England (never more so than in a muddy field next to the main stage at Glastonbury 1998 cheering on England's group victory over Columbia), but from as young as I can remember there is one national team I have enjoyed watching and supported more than any other - Brasil. I expect this year, as usual, I'll do my duty for England until they go out, and then allow my true allegiance to come to the fore as - hopefully - I support Brasil to victory.

If it was Latics getting back into the Premier League or winning the FA Cup, then latics everytime, but promotion to the Championship? Can't say that us getting in there would be a once in a lifetime thing, that I'll still be going on about when I'm 70. England winning the world cup on the other hand would be extremely special so as the poll is, England all the way.

Latics Latics Latics!

I enjoy the world cup, and England victories, but am not that bothered in all reality.

Have never really seen a Latics promotion, and getting promotion to the championship would be a great achievement given where we are now. And if we come straight down, at least we'll get some new grounds (or at least ones we've not visited for years), and think of the parachute payments!

Also, if we go up, that's presumably going to be down to us playing better, more gutsy, more attacking, more enjoyable football. It could bring in more fans, improve the atmosphere, and give younger fans some hope. That could only be a good thing!

It's "cool" to hate England these days. I always root for my country but my club comes first.

That is true although I don't feel the same affinity with the footballers as I do with say Englands cricketers or rugby players who maintain a sense of normality. The autobiography culture that proceeded the last failed world cup kind of hacks me off and if we win it will be that multiplied by 10. So while I will want England to win the world cup it won't mean as much as Latics getting promotion. If we get relegated back down so what life will go on we need a promotion to give the younger generation something genuine to celebrate.

That is true although I don't feel the same affinity with the footballers as I do with say Englands cricketers or rugby players who maintain a sense of normality. The autobiography culture that proceeded the last failed world cup kind of hacks me off and if we win it will be that multiplied by 10. So while I will want England to win the world cup it won't mean as much as Latics getting promotion. If we get relegated back down so what life will go on we need a promotion to give the younger generation something genuine to celebrate.

If we got promoted you'd have to deal with the following as you mention 'autobiography culture':

Joe Colbeck - To Boundary Park and Beck

Sean Gregan - Pies, Poor keepers, piss-heads and plumage - My story

Dean Brill - Had me a Brill old time - The story of the safest hands in league one

Chris Taylor - Let's twist again - Taylor's Tale.

Rob Purdie - Purdie's Perfect Promotion - how one man single handedly won his team promotion without kicking a ball

If we got promoted you'd have to deal with the following as you mention 'autobiography culture':

Joe Colbeck - To Boundary Park and Beck

Sean Gregan - Pies, Poor keepers, piss-heads and plumage - My story

Dean Brill - Had me a Brill old time - The story of the safest hands in league one

Chris Taylor - Let's twist again - Taylor's Tale.

Rob Purdie - Purdie's Perfect Promotion - how one man single handedly won his team promotion without kicking a ball

:lol:

They would still be alot more readable than anything John Terry and Ashley Cole will put out though. Taylors Tale seems like an interesting piece of literature lots of pictures possibly? :nnnng:

Edited by GlossopLatic

Can't believe anyone would pick England over there so called club. Shouldn't even take be a thinking decision. Straight forward club.

I love Latics but i'm also a very passionate and proud England fan. The World Cup is the biggest and best competition in the world. Of course i want my country to win it. The fact that some people are claiming that they don't want their own country to win the world cup is quite sad in my opinion and the sort of comment i'd expect from a manure fan in all honesty.

Difficult one, as I've been going to Latics since '68 and to Wembely, and around the country and europe since '96 with England , so I'm a newbie England fan.

England winning the world cup is once a lifetime, and will be great for the nation and all who sail in her.

Latics winning promotion is less likely, though great for the town, and all us who've had to put up with some poor fair recently.

Close call, but it's Latics for this one.

I love Latics but i'm also a very passionate and proud England fan. The World Cup is the biggest and best competition in the world. Of course i want my country to win it. The fact that some people are claiming that they don't want their own country to win the world cup is quite sad in my opinion and the sort of comment i'd expect from a manure fan in all honesty.

How? I'm English, but i feel no affiliation towards the national side, i can't understand why so many do, i wish i did but i just can't.

We play about 15 games a year? If that, about 7/8 of them are actually competitive where we are expected to win them all. The other 7/8 are meaningless. Then you have a big tourny, where again 3 easy group games, followed by a game normally in the 2nd round where we're expected to win, then a quarter final, which is hard and a decent game, but 1 game every 2 years that hard and enjoyable? compared to spending a fortune over your life following the club you love, its a no brainer for me.

How? I'm English, but i feel no affiliation towards the national side, i can't understand why so many do, i wish i did but i just can't.

We play about 15 games a year? If that, about 7/8 of them are actually competitive where we are expected to win them all. The other 7/8 are meaningless. Then you have a big tourny, where again 3 easy group games, followed by a game normally in the 2nd round where we're expected to win, then a quarter final, which is hard and a decent game, but 1 game every 2 years that hard and enjoyable? compared to spending a fortune over your life following the club you love, its a no brainer for me.

Well i suppose that's your opinion and i respect that. I do see where you're coming from but it still doesn't change the fact that i personally would be overjoyed if we won the world cup.

I'm unsure (where's that option) as I didn't see England win in 66 and if we have to wait another 44 years for them to win it again it may be a once in a lifetime thing. I've seen Oldham play in the Championship (or the equivalent) and higher, however, if we did get promoted and stayed in the Championship for as long as we've been in this division then I would take that.

Both would please me and since Latics getting promoted is currently longer odds I'll take that one.

Not sure about that bit in bold. I have a theory that the World Cup appeals most to casual and Premiership football fans for whom the Premiership, Europe and International football is all they know, but for many of us who follow lower league sides we feel a divide between us and the megabucks Premiership stars who strut about in England shirts, a feeling that they come from a world of top level football that doesn't involve us.

Just to counter that theory slightly, I do know it has frequently been said that many of the most loyal England supporters, especially those who will travel to distant places for group away matches, tend to be the kind of lower league fans who will support their team wherever they go, including those 600 mile round trips on a Tuesday night.

I've already said I'm no great patriot when it comes to supporting England, but that doesn't mean I sneer at those that do. There's absolutely nothing wrong with fanatically supporting your national side - it is the ultimate form of football fan tribalism after all.

but for many of us who follow lower league sides we feel a divide between us and the megabucks Premiership stars who strut about in England shirts, a feeling that they come from a world of top level football that doesn't involve us.

This pretty much sums up my feelings, I really can't muster up any passion for the national side these days. I'm not saying I want them to lose, I just don't care if we win.

Latics come first, always.

This pretty much sums up my feelings, I really can't muster up any passion for the national side these days. I'm not saying I want them to lose, I just don't care if we win.

Latics come first, always.

Good to see that the England squad has decided to give all their World Cup match fees to charity - no real sacrifice but a decent gesture nonetheless. :wink:

http://www.cafonline.org/default.aspx?page=19170