New Manager Thread

+1

The club can't have Gannon/whoever else they may have offered it to thinking that they have Oldham Athletic wrapped around their little finger. Perfectly reasonabe that the club have said we are offering you the position, these are the terms, we want an answer by sunday.

This is just my personal opinion. I am not saying Gray definitely won't get it, but the very fact that they are 'checking references' to me sounds like they are going for an external candidate. Also, I think if we were going to give it to Gray, we would have announced it by now. As he is already under contract with the club, they wouldn't have to negotiate terms and could have named him manager more or less immediately after reaching a decision.

I agree with plying pressure but why should we need references- I dont get it.

Football is very public ...everyone knows were managers have managed at and the reason for leaving.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Football is very public ...everyone knows were managers have managed at and the reason for leaving.

A hell of a lot goes on behind closed doors at football clubs.

"References" could easily be phone calls to contacts. Meetings with former managers who know other clubs a little better than TTA. Or even an exchange/trade of information with a journalist who knows something that couldn't be reported for legal reasons about what went on at a particular football club at some point in the past.

If Gannon's your man, what's the truth behind leaving Motherwell? Why did he "bully" Gareth Owen out of County? Was County's administration down to decisions made by the manager, or a piss-poor Trust signing awful financial deals?

If Frankie Bunn's your man, is he anything more than a half-decent lower league coach? Does he have the balls to stand up to an overpaid player when the chips are down? Does he improve individuals, or can he get a team to play together?

Edited by opinions4u

Believe me, the day to day workings in football is far from public. Many fans may think they know what goes on day to day, but the reality is that, within the walls of a football club, the majority of us have no idea how a manger, player, director etc is day to day.

Just like any 'big' appointment, you are going to want to know as much as you can and this time round this one is 'crucial'.

As for Gannon - if he doesn't like the terms offered (If they have been??) and is waiting to see what happens at Stockport - off you go Jim. Next.

A hell of a lot goes on behind closed doors at football clubs.

"References" could easily be phone calls to contacts. Meetings with former managers who know other clubs a little better than TTA. Or even an exchange/trade of information with a journalist who knows something that couldn't be reported for legal reasons about what went on at a particular football club at some point in the past.

If Gannon's your man, what's the truth behind leaving Motherwell? Why did he "bully" Gareth Owen out of County? Was County's administration down to decisions made by the manager, or a piss-poor Trust signing awful financial deals?

If Frankie Bunn's your man, is he anything more than a half-decent lower league coach? Does he have the balls to stand up to an overpaid player when the chips are down? Does he improve individuals, or can he get a team to play together?

I would have thought all the above would be considered even before the interviews had begun?.

As you said it only takes a minute to call.

I would have thought all the above would be considered even before the interviews had begun?.

But how long does a call last, and what if after checking even more references that provides even more food for thought.

Stuff like how the manager treats other staff, his day to day conduct, what he is like to work with etc can be obtained from references.

It may be that they were more or less decided on candidate 'a' but after checking the references, candidate 'b' had two glowing references, hence they decided to think about it more

Decisions, decisions...

10 candidates, 30 calls.

Narrow it down to 3 candidates, ranked in order after interview, and you're down to potentially only 2 or 3 calls (more if they're not satisfactory).

The main lesson I learned from hiring people is to believe the references more than your gut instinct! How you choose to interpret them can depend on the role being offered.

Edited by opinions4u

have to say if Gannon has been offered 2 year deal here and he is not giving an answer because he is waiting for stockport then the offer should be taken away right away.

i know its an IF but bloody hell, we should be the managers first choice ahead of a 4th division club.

Still interesting though, especially the guy who claims to be in the know

"Oldham would have gone into administration had they finished higher"

Complete and utter crap

To be fair during the last week of the season there were a few posters on here (claiming to be in the know) saying the same thing. Maybe that bloke got his info from here or knows the same people.

To be fair to Gannon though, at the end of the day he does have options when it comes to the management position, and considering he has another little un on the way, he has every right to consider them options.

IF we have indeed offered him a two year deal, we may not be well off but at least we would be in a position to say 'here is the offer, this is your wage, this is your budget, ball is in your court'. Whether Stockport are at a stage to offer that sort of guarantee I dont know.

Like has been said on here though, I don't like the thought of giving the job to someone who is treating us as his backup plan/2nd choice. I am not for a minute accusing any potential candidate of doing that but IF we have offered Gannon a 2 year deal, and IF he is indeed stalling because of the situation at Stockport, I can only hope we have set a deadline for an answer and stick to it.

have to say if Gannon has been offered 2 year deal here and he is not giving an answer because he is waiting for stockport then the offer should be taken away right away.

i know its an IF but bloody hell, we should be the managers first choice ahead of a 4th division club.

Unless that manager has an emotional relationship with the club.

THing is, though, there are plenty on here that will say [if gannon goes to Stockprt] that we did not do enough to lure Gannon.

So far, the club has not released who is first choice etc.

so they can state whi s]appointed is first choice.

THing is, though, there are plenty on here that will say [if gannon goes to Stockprt] that we did not do enough to lure Gannon.

So far, the club has not released who is first choice etc.

so they can state whi s]appointed is first choice.

All ifs and buts at the mo though. I'm sure we will see next week.

(on a different note, i se you have been able to get back into your original account :) )

The club will not say who is first choice before they've appointed someone; they would be crazy to do that. And once they've appointed someone, that person will be their first choice in every statement they make.

I genuinely hope the person who gets the job is given backing by EVERY fan. The Gannon issue is not good, if someone else gets it they will be considered 2nd choice from off unless club handles it properly. Personally I dont like the factor of US being a possible backup option. NO FACTS anywhere but please get it right with the PR.

Gray MUST be out of frame. As it stands Gannon could still walk away to Stockport and back to square 1.

I can see the logic in waiting but but but can we have a stamps feet emoticon please, with spits dummy and bangs head..... lol

IF it is gannon as soon as we loose 2-3 games in a row they will turn round and say his heart is not with us its at stockport sack him. Then next season will be the same pissed off fans turning on everyone else, who ever it is bunn, gannon, santa or the toothfairy lets give them at least a season and a half to see what there made of. The new manager is not gonna get long to get some of his type of players in before the season starts.

IF it is gannon as soon as we loose 2-3 games in a row they will turn round and say his heart is not with us its at stockport sack him. Then next season will be the same pissed off fans turning on everyone else, who ever it is bunn, gannon, santa or the toothfairy lets give them at least a season and a half to see what there made of. The new manager is not gonna get long to get some of his type of players in before the season starts.

+1

Well said

But how long does a call last, and what if after checking even more references that provides even more food for thought.

Stuff like how the manager treats other staff, his day to day conduct, what he is like to work with etc can be obtained from references.

It may be that they were more or less decided on candidate 'a' but after checking the references, candidate 'b' had two glowing references, hence they decided to think about it more

Decisions, decisions...

Most references are pretty standard, you have to remember that any reference can be deemed liable.

Id be very supprised if all the above was mentioned in a reference.

Most references are pretty standard, you have to remember that any reference can be deemed liable.

Id be very supprised if all the above was mentioned in a reference.

I think references are pretty simple in football terms. They even come in tabular form, with comparisons against other applicants.

Admittedly, people who haven't done the job before are unlikely to have such information.

Edited by OldhamSheridan