Should Capello Go?

Should Capello Go  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time for a change of England manager?

• Yes
    • No
    • Wouldn't make any difference!

I don't think any manager could be held responsible for today's shambolic defending.

The players have to take responsibility for underachieving massively at this tournament.

I think cappello has made selection mistakes but all 23 players should be able to perform better than what we have seen. :angry:

Yes, no question. Took some poor players and inexperienced squad players ( it was his job to give them experience in friendlies if he intended to take them). Today, immediately after going 4-1 down he took off the player most likely to score (as in unlikely, as apposed to not a cat in hell's chance). Add to that the fact the players clearly dislike him, it's a no brainer for me.

I thought the FA were mad to extend his contract before the World Cup.

I thought the FA were mad to extend his contract before the World Cup.

This is absolutely true but disagree he should go. The only replacement would be an English manager...Hodgson not good enough IMO and Redknapp wouldn't come as he has Champions League football.

Just hope he gets us through another convincing qualifying campaign in what is a different group and remembers the lessons he has had to learn in SA if/when we get to Poland-Ukraine 2012.

I don't think any manager could be held responsible for today's shambolic defending.

The players have to take responsibility for underachieving massively at this tournament.

I think cappello has made selection mistakes but all 23 players should be able to perform better than what we have seen. :angry:

This. Verbatim what i was going to post. When you see players who are supposedly the best in the world, who have supposedly been playing in the best league in the world all season, underachieving like they have at this World Cup, i'm not sure any manager could have done any better.

This. Verbatim what i was going to post. When you see players who are supposedly the best in the world, who have supposedly been playing in the best league in the world all season, underachieving like they have at this World Cup, i'm not sure any manager could have done any better.

But aren't unachieving players generally indicative of poor management?

yes has to go he had a squad containing quite a few top players and got nothing out of them. as has been stated the players clearly dont like him. we need someone hu instils passion in the team. they should want to play for there county and give hundred percent but they clearly dont. motivation is down to the manager. tactics have held several players back that is also a managerial problem

But aren't unachieving players generally indicative of poor management?

Usually, yes, but i honestly don't think any manager could have done any better with this lot. They didn't look like they'd been poorly man-managed, or like they were suffering from being forced to play under bad tactics (although some of Capello's subs have been baffling - bringing on Joe Cole v Slovenia for Rooney, playing him behind Defoe, in the position Steven Gerrard plays for Liverpool, while Gerrard is playing out of position out wide?), or like they needed better training. They looked like they wished they were on the beach rather than playing at a World Cup, and i don't know how any manager would have addressed that really.

Usually, yes, but i honestly don't think any manager could have done any better with this lot. They didn't look like they'd been poorly man-managed, or like they were suffering from being forced to play under bad tactics (although some of Capello's subs have been baffling - bringing on Joe Cole v Slovenia for Rooney, playing him behind Defoe, in the position Steven Gerrard plays for Liverpool, while Gerrard is playing out of position out wide?), or like they needed better training. They looked like they wished they were on the beach rather than playing at a World Cup, and i don't know how any manager would have addressed that really.

spose its down to personal opinion but to me it looked like they were being held back and inhibited and werent enjoying playing at the world cup now unless there is a major rift in the squad the only other reason can be the gaffer

Capello is not the main reason we performed so abjectly, but he has to go for one reason only.

Emile Heskey, not once but twice.

v Slovenia we needed 1 goal to top the group, so he put Heskey on. A proven non scorer if ever there was one.

v Germany we needed a miracle, and 3 goals, so he bought Heskey on again.

Separately,

Was Terry the snake in the grass, or the only one with the guts to stand up and be counted. Maybe now we will find out. Did the others capitulate in the face of the manager?

We need a motivator. Someone to get the team to be greater than the sum of its parts.

Theres a lack of talented players in the English game, and a lack of talented managers.

Oh and root and branch reform of the FA from top to bottom. Coaching for a start, someone else said from junior school up. And the Premier greed self interest to come last, written in FA and Premier League statute. And minimum number of English players and stick two fingers up tthe EU/FIFA if they challenge. No problem with foreign players, English ones can learn fromt he desire and dedication, but just not so many.

Edited by singe

Capello is not the main reason we performed so abjectly, but he has to go for one reason only.

Emile Heskey, not once but twice.

v Slovenia we needed 1 goal to top the group, so he put Heskey on. A proven non scorer if ever there was one.

v Germany we needed a miracle, and 3 goals, so he bought Heskey on again.

Separately,

Was Terry the snake in the grass, or the only one with the guts to stand up and be counted. Maybe now we will find out. Did the others capitulate in the face of the manager?

We need a motivator. Someone to get the team to be greater than the sum of its parts.

Theres a lack of talented players in the English game, and a lack of talented managers.

Oh and root and branch reform of the FA from top to bottom. Coaching for a start, someone else said from junior school up. And the Premier greed self interest to come last, written in FA and Premier League statute. And minimum number of English players and stick two fingers up tthe EU/FIFA if they challenge. No problem with foreign players, English ones can learn fromt he desire and dedication, but just not so many.

Ger were a better team, the Premiergreed is at the route of all this.

If the players don't like how the manager works and sulk and can't be arsed because of it, maybe we need some different players

+1

Representing your country at the highest level should be an honour. To them lot of spineless t***s, its a chore. If the manager asks you to play somewhere you play there, even if its in goal, and get on with it to the best of your ability, rather than sulk about being played out of position.

I think questions should be asked of Capello's tactics and selection by all means, as he has got a few things wrong, but to scapegoat him would be completely wrong. The majority of the blame has to lie firmly with the players.

Re the vote, I have clicked wont make a difference. The reason being that I really cannot see who else we have got coming through to replace the 'golden era'

+1

Representing your country at the highest level should be an honour. To them lot of spineless t***s, its a chore. If the manager asks you to play somewhere you play there, even if its in goal, and get on with it to the best of your ability, rather than sulk about being played out of position.

I think questions should be asked of Capello's tactics and selection by all means, as he has got a few things wrong, but to scapegoat him would be completely wrong. The majority of the blame has to lie firmly with the players.

Come to think of it, we just got whupped by a team who have ditched most of the old guys and played a team of young fit guys who looked right up for it. Not that this changes the fact that Capello picked our squad mind.

Its not fifa thats the problem, its the EU. Fifa wanted to introduce the six plus five rule, which would mean that any team would have to have a minimum of six players in its starting lineup that are eligible to play for the national team.

EU think this is a breach of the EU Labour law on the freedom of movement. But what FIFA argues is that it does not breach this law as clubs will be able to take on as many foreign players as they wish, but when a match kicks off they must have at least six players starting the game who are eligible to play for their country in question.

Ger were a better team, the Premiergreed is at the route of all this.

Spot on - until the Premier League brings in restrictions on number of overseas players England will never improve.

Our kids will never get the opportunity to play at the top level but other countries can - look at Uruguay for instance, in the quarter finals they've benefiited by most of the top players playing in Europe where the money is. We need to get over this obsession with the Greedy League and realise none of our players are the "world beaters" they are hyped up to be.

Yes he should go, but anyone who thinks just replacing the manager will solve the problem is an idiot.

England will never win anything, because the changes that need to be made won't be.

I listened to Five Live yesterday evening, for an hour or more after 606. People who KNOW the game, discussing the aftermath and the real reasons. Graham Taylor, David Pleat, Chris Waddle et al. They were in complete agreement about two main things - there are nowhere near enough football people in the FA, and the way we coach kids is completely wrong. That is truly fundamental stuff, the kind of change that would take a revolution in the FA and a complete overhaul of how the game is run from the bery grassroots of youth development upwards.

If we started now, we might just, possibly, manage to put a national team together that could be capable of winning in 2018 (if we win the bid). But it won't start now. It won't start at all. And the FA's blinkered chasing of the money and the glory of hosting the World Cup will be ruined by England's exit in the group stages.

Yes he should go, but anyone who thinks just replacing the manager will solve the problem is an idiot.

England will never win anything, because the changes that need to be made won't be.

I listened to Five Live yesterday evening, for an hour or more after 606. People who KNOW the game, discussing the aftermath and the real reasons. Graham Taylor, David Pleat, Chris Waddle et al. They were in complete agreement about two main things - there are nowhere near enough football people in the FA, and the way we coach kids is completely wrong. That is truly fundamental stuff, the kind of change that would take a revolution in the FA and a complete overhaul of how the game is run from the bery grassroots of youth development upwards.

If we started now, we might just, possibly, manage to put a national team together that could be capable of winning in 2018 (if we win the bid). But it won't start now. It won't start at all. And the FA's blinkered chasing of the money and the glory of hosting the World Cup will be ruined by England's exit in the group stages.

Yup

actually quite funny reading some of the posts backing the manager after all the post that have been on previously regarding dave penney and our players not playing well enough. strange how suddenly people have different views because its england and a previously popular manager

If English players were good enough they would be packing Premiership sides out. And if they are being priced out by journeymen foreigners, maybe they should lower their wage demands?

Ed zachary.

Unfortunately, as they are the highest paid players in the world, they believe they are the best - how wrong they are.

Boycott the premiership - start something on that 'mingebook' thing.

This is one where there is always going to be a division. One one side, blame the manager because he's ultimately responsible. On the other, blame the players because they don't show the passion, desire or required skills. I've got slightly mixed feelings myself, but have come down on the "Thanks Fabio, but off you go" side. Why? I think he has stifled the players' natural talent, is tactically misguided (heard that before, have we?) too down right bloody stubborn to change what is going wrong.

Where has gone wrong? How about:

Since when has Gerrard been a left winger? It didn't work, but he persisted with it even though every man and his dog knows that Gerrard's best position is "in the hole".

4-4-2 didn't work. It was too easy to close us down, but he stayed with it.

Crouch's goalscoring record with England is excellent, but he still played Heskey who couldn't score a one on one if I was in goal. Example: 4-1 down to Germany, off comes Defoe and on goes Heskey. Crouch manages a cameo role in one game. Baffling in the extreme.

Darren Bent - knows where the onion bag is, so gets left behind.

Adam Johnson, a raw but natural talent, has given full backs twisted blood, so gets left behind.

Scott Parker kept West Ham up almost single handed and covers every blade of grass. Gets left behind but an injured Gareth Barry gets on the plane.

Ledley King was never going to complete the tournament unless he was very lucky, but still gets the nod ahead of the likes of Dawson who has to fly out only because Ferdinad was injured - no great loss there, either.

Carragher gets dragged out there kicking and screaming pretty much against his will and proves to be over the hill International-wise. I've seen double decker buses turn round quicker.

Stubborn Fabio? When asked in an interview if he would change tactics for the next game (after Algeria, I think), his reply was "Change? Change? Why?"

He was obviously happy with a crap performance and stubbornly refused to alter things when Plan A wasn't working. Unless you call playing Joe Cole down the middle against Slovenia for 20 minutes Plan B, that is.

My personal belief and I could be way off the mark, is that Capello rules with such a rod of iron, players are not allowed to play as they do for their clubs, but must follow his strict regime. Too many have been played out of position and didn't look as if they were enjoying it very much. Add to that the restrictions placed on them off the pitch and I think we had a bunch of very unhappy bunnies.

Maybe JT wasn't far off the mark in his interview. When it was publically announced that the players would be allowed one beer the evening before a game, it sounded like this was a special treat not previously given. For God's sake, they are grown men. They're not going to get ratted. Strict regime? Was it Wayne Rooney who said "You can only play so much snooker and darts". It all smacks of Capello adopting a Hitler-esque attitude.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a softie in charge who lets them do as they like, but you can go too far the other way and I think Capello has done just that. Yes, the players have massively underachieved and they have taken responsibility and admitted that. But I still feel that they have not been allowed to enjoy the experience.

We have to build now for the 2012 European Championships, but I can't see us having any success under Capello. Let him go back to club football in Italy where is obviously best suited. Bring in someone along the lines of Roy Hodgson or even Stuart Pearce (shoot me down if you wish) because these are the types who can bring a bit of passion back, allowing players to express themselves and play a more flowing type of football rather than the rigid, inflexible, unattractive stuuf we've been served so far.

Aye thang yow.