Pav Abbott

I for one am gutted . Think it is a shame we never really saw the best of a fully fit abbott. But if he stays fit for charlton we'll be kicking ourselves. :-(

think pav will be one of those players that misses more games than he plays.

Edited by yarddogs

I can't beleive some of our fans thought he was a rubbish player, what game do these people watch? He scored a third of our goals last season

I'm obviously sad to see him go but with money being tight, it's not the end of the world

+1

I can't beleive some of our fans thought he was a rubbish player, what game do these people watch? He scored a third of our goals last season

I'm obviously sad to see him go but with money being tight, it's not the end of the world

I think its a simple case of Pav being slow means he is crap in some people's eyes. To score 13 last season when the team was playing crap football combined with his long layoff and struggle to regain his fitness does show he is far from being a poor player.

It is Tommy boy, it is.

He is one of the best target men in this division and if people think 37 year old Dickov is gonna come up trumps for us they are sorely mistaken. Well and truly gutted.

Love Abbott, hate Dickov.

Don't take offence but I trust the judgement of Dickov over you guys.

He's played football at the highest level as a striker. Will know the strengths and weaknesses of certain players within his style of play. Has come good so far with his signings, has the team playing well with attractive football and majority of results so far has been promising.

He's also said that he has a Prem striker lined up next week. If it's Baxter then we'll have one of the hottest prospects in English football and one who will bring more to the team than Abbott. We've missed someone who links midfield and the strikers with direct, skilful and attacking football. Who cares that they're here on loan as they have same commitment than a player in their last year and one who's best days are behind them and injuries meaning they're only giving 60%. Admittedly Abbott was our leading scorer but this just shows how poor Penney had us playing!!

I'm really excited about the team, style of play and tactics Dickov is bringing to the team. We have a midfield playing well, will have midfield and strikers linking well and promising strikers in Eaves, Brooke, Kelly, Baxter and Millar alongside experience of Feeney and Dickov. Wouldn't surprise me that we have another face in as well as Baxter before window closes.

KTF

Who is going to score goals ?

Tom Eaves, Ryan Brooke, Lewis Alessandra, Warren Feeney, Dean Kelly and next week I hope to bring in another striker on loan from a Premier League club....

Up to this point I thought Dickov was doing well but that is a relegation forward line....

Edited by oafc0000

It is Tommy boy, it is.

He is one of the best target men in this division and if people think 37 year old Dickov is gonna come up trumps for us they are sorely mistaken. Well and truly gutted.

Love Abbott, hate Dickov.

Typical early morning Trolling? This looks familiar.

Tom Eaves, Ryan Brooke, Lewis Alessandra, Warren Feeney, Dean Kelly and next week I hope to bring in another striker on loan from a Premier League club....

Up to this point I thought Dickov was doing well but that is a relegation forward line....

I don't know about that, I think they're all capable at this level. I see what you're getting at but there are going to be worse attacking line-ups in this godforsaken division than ours.

Has Pawel definitely gone? Can we talk about his operating theatre crisis now, and what actually happened in surgery?

The key question to it all.

Having a striker as a manager, I would like to think that Dickov knows what he's doing and has a plan. Time will tell if that's the case.

Eaves did take his goals particularly well against Bolton, which is promising, but there is a difference between friendlies and the real thing. Alessandra is a link man, Brooke has promise, Feeney's record is okay but not prolific, Dickov is certainly not prolific and I doubt he'll play much.

Ideally a side should produce goals from throughout the team. Last season we didn't get goals from anywhere.

2 main strikers - 20 from one, 15 from the other.

2 wide players - 15 between then

2 central midfielders - 15 between them

2 centre halfs - 10 between them (especially with Stephens' dead ball delivery)

2 full backs - 5 between them

There you go, 80 goals.

More than any of the promoted sides got last season!

Edited by opinions4u

I don't know about that, I think they're all capable at this level. I see what you're getting at but there are going to be worse attacking line-ups in this godforsaken division than ours.

Has Pawel definitely gone? Can we talk about his operating theatre crisis now, and what actually happened in surgery?

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...2106604,00.html

yup he has gone...

Time will tell but you only need to look at how many goals that lot have scored over the last couple of seasons to become worried...

Can only hope the loan signing is a fit and talented young player with drive and commitment... But being Latics it will probably be some injured 30 something journey man with ideas above his station....

Time will tell but you only need to look at how many goals that lot have scored over the last couple of seasons to become worried...

Can only hope the loan signing is a fit and talented young player with drive and commitment... But being Latics it will probably be some injured 30 something journey man with ideas above his station....

True, true...

Last season we were NOTHING without him.

However, another season brings another manager and another year's experience to the younger players, so here's hoping it's a decision we don't regret.

we were nothing with him!

we stumbled to survival mainly because we werent quite as bad as a few other teams.

also the premier league striker we are after may not be baxter heard we are also looking at daniel pacheco. young liverpool and spain u-19 player. just won top scorer at under 19 euro championship

Abbott up untill his operation was quallity and was the sole reason we were clear of the bottom 4. but he then had 4 months of football to get himself fit and carry on his form from before his op but never came close to doing so. He was constantly knackered after 20 minutes each game and as he had nothing left he kept trying tricks and flicks which very rearly came off. I blame Penney for this to an extent as his signings barring a few lacked quality to take the pressure of Pav and his failure to find a decent strike partner for him was shambolic.

But Pav apart from a few goals looked very poor from January onwards with no signs of returning to any kind of form, and was as bad as any other player that let us down last season. A very average Lewis Guy came in and shone over pav during his loan spell.

That said I was happy to have him in the team this season and thought with Feeney besides him he may well show us the Abbott we saw early last season. But Dickov thinks he has enough with the strikers he got plus the 1 coming in and to be fair he has to be able to shape his own team and if some players don't feature in it, then so be it. I also don't think Abbott has done himself any favours with his lack of fitness during the friendlies so far.

Anyway good luck Pav.