Team that started against Charlton final game of last season

Team that started versus Charlton in final game last season:

Flahavan, Goodwin, Hazell, Gregan, Black, Smalley, Stephens, Whitaker, Taylor, Guy, Abbott

Team likely to start on Saturday:

Brill, Lee, Hazell, Jarrett, Black, Jones, Stephens, Furman, Alessandra, Feeney, Eaves

only three remain - :wink:

Flahavan, Goodwin, Hazell, Gregan, Black, Smalley, Stephens, Whitaker, Taylor, Guy, Abbott

Brill, Lee, Hazell, Jarrett, Black, Jones, Stephens, Furman, Alessandra, Feeney, Eaves

Shame it's not 4 with Flahavan in net

Flahavan wasn't any better than Brill.

To be fair I'll let bygones be bygones because I aint bothered with a pre-season apart from Leyland and Fleming was in net. I hope he has a good season and I shouldn't be having a dig, base on last year though I felt alot more confident with Flahavan in net.

The biggest thing thats changed between the Charlton and tranmere game is the two guys steering the ship, I would say thats the biggest factor because on paper not sure the playing squad is much better, the key now is for the lads to gell and do it quickly.

Saying that 5 players in the proposed starting line up have played at youth and reserve team level, its a young hungry squad, lets hope they start with a bang. Early goal for Feeney would be perfect to get him going! :grin:

Compare that to the first game last season where we had I think 9 players make their debut. This year its only 2 (+Eaves- who has played quite a bit, and Jarrett who's been here before). Goodwin and Guy would be decent additions to our current squad (Goodwin not so much if Holdsworth is fit) and Guy we've kind of replaced with Feeney, but Whittaker was let go for a reason and Jones sounds better, Lewis sounds like he's had a decent pre-season and is getting back to where he was 21 months ago. Bar Abbott its essentially Penney's team, if we do a lot better Penney was that bad, but if not ...

Although if Gregan and Taylor were fit they would be likely to be in it would be 5.

But 5 that have gone were not the best performers of the team, so not all bad.

And those that go say Brill is a different player to last season.

The biggest thing thats changed between the Charlton and tranmere game is the two guys steering the ship, I would say thats the biggest factor because on paper not sure the playing squad is much better

You make a good point...which to add on to further...you mean one full of experience who kept an average side in this league compared to a manager who has never managed a competitive game.......let's hope he gains such experience quickly :wink:

Compare that to the first game last season where we had I think 9 players make their debut. This year its only 2 (+Eaves- who has played quite a bit, and Jarrett who's been here before). Goodwin and Guy would be decent additions to our current squad (Goodwin not so much if Holdsworth is fit) and Guy we've kind of replaced with Feeney, but Whittaker was let go for a reason and Jones sounds better, Lewis sounds like he's had a decent pre-season and is getting back to where he was 21 months ago. Bar Abbott its essentially Penney's team, if we do a lot better Penney was that bad, but if not ...

Liberal use of the phrase "Penney's team"...the majority are made up of Shez's past signings (Hazell, Gregan, Lee) and the youth system (Stephens, Eaves, Taylor, Smalley, Brooke, Black, Lewis)...with one or two Penney left overs (Brill, Furman) and one or two additions from Dickov (Jarrett, Jones)...

Edited by boundaryblue80

Apart from Brill & Furman (penneys) Jones & Feeney ( PD'S) all them players were at Latics during Shez's time in charge

Brill started shakey but performed very well in the sticks over the course of the season. Haters will be haters.

Brill is a good keeper sadly though his card is marked with Oldham fans, just like Eardley's was. No matter how well he performs this season he won't get credit and win the Latics fans over. Fact.

Brill started shakey but performed very well in the sticks over the course of the season. Haters will be haters.

Brill is a good keeper sadly though his card is marked with Oldham fans, just like Eardley's was. No matter how well he performs this season he won't get credit and win the Latics fans over. Fact.

Based on what? I hope he steps upto the mark, he's in our net... Last season will soon be forgotten if he puts in the performances.

I didn't slate Eardley, you could see he had quality

Based on what? I hope he steps upto the mark, he's in our net... Last season will soon be forgotten if he puts in the performances.

Based on the amount of clean sheets he had as well as the point winning saves at the end of several matches. He makes some pretty damn good saves which are often overlooked. He's done it this pre-season to. But nobody cares, his card is marked.

Couldn't disagree more..... He’s a shocking ‘Keeper.

If Fleming didn’t have his rush of blood moments and dart off his line so often; he’d be the number 1.....

Looks like Brill will be possession of the jersey; so it’s a like it or lump it situation; but I for one won’t be comfortable or confident anytime the ball goes anywhere near him. But that will just be me twitching & grimacing in my seat; not booing him or chanting at him.

Still would prefer him absolutely nowhere near the side like but hey-ho.......

Based on the amount of clean sheets he had

And they were just down to him were they? A good chunk of those clean sheets were cock-all to do with Brill; more the outstanding perfromances that his 2 CB's produced week on week in front of him......

Edited by slystallone

We seem to lay into every keeper we ever have...

Had some right crackers over the years...

Hallsworth

Gerrard

Kelly

Pogs

All dam good keepers... All of them slagged off to high heaven...

I hope you're not intimating that Brill is a “dam good keeper” there? :shock:

I was just a bit too young to really take in whether people “slagged off to high heaven” Hallsworth or not; but i really don’t remember Gerrard or Kelly getting any.

Some people (not many though IIRC) turned on Pogs in his 2nd spell (not me like!!); after he was a bit shaky in coming off his line after his injury, but I can't recall it being exactly ferocious abuse.....

I notice Lee Grant wasn’t on your list. I take it that was because; whilst he was a young & inexperienced ‘Keeper, he was a quality player and thus know-one had any cause what so ever to give him some grief......You tend to find that; if a player is upto their respective job and doesn’t commit shocking errors; they don’t tend to get stick.......

If Brill wasn’t just a poor player who makes plenty of basic mistakes & has some pretty glaringly obvious inadequacies; people wouldn’t have any cause to give him grief. I don’t jeer & boo him during games; I just wince & squirm in my seat whenever we concede a free-kick or a shot or cross comes in. My criticism stays strictly on here, but I fully understand the ones who choose to vocalise their opinions in the aftermath of one of his shockers.

The GK position still needs sorting; it worries me greatly that DB is between the sticks for us......

The GK position still needs sorting; it worries me greatly that DB is between the sticks for us......

We need to be realistic... No backers... Losing money... He is probably the best we can hope for given the decent signings Dicky has done else where...

We need to be realistic... No backers... Losing money... He is probably the best we can hope for given the decent signings Dicky has done else where...

I’m being realistic – realistically he should be know-where near the team!!!! :wink:

In all seriousness though; with the reported wage that he’s on; even if we were looking to move him on (as we should be; though it looks like we aren’t) we’d be lucky to find a club who’d be prepared to sign him up on a comparable wage level. Brill’s signing sums up the player judgement ability of Penney, Gray & Collett – in short; pants!!! :ranting:

I’m being realistic – realistically he should be know-where near the team!!!! :wink:

In all seriousness though; with the reported wage that he’s on; even if we were looking to move him on (as we should be; though it looks like we aren’t) we’d be lucky to find a club who’d be prepared to sign him up on a comparable wage level. Brill’s signing sums up the player judgement ability of Penney, Gray & Collett – in short; pants!!! :ranting:

Didn't realise he was on a lot...