Tony P - Unsung hero

Just reading the rarely wrong and this article inparticular...

http://oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-feature...a-bright-future

Personally, I think our club would've gone to the wall or be non-league but for the efforts of TP...most club end up pitching in kids and they generally struggle and sink. Only a club like Crewe have had some modicum of success at going up into the Champs but still, their conveyor belt couldn't last forever. Be it Haining chipping in years ago, Eardley coming through or a player like Stephens last season, we've managed to pull some decent players for this level to keep us at least here and not sinking through.

Also makes me shudder to think where this current crop might be (wonder how that may have affected the growth of Carr, Eaves and Brooke) had Shez stayed here longer, with his "no reserve league" policy.

Tony Philliskirk...a Latics Legend!

Definitely a legend. Definitely done some wonder stuff for us.

But we've had a good youth set-up for a long long time now. Long before TP.

There is some crap written on here. TP is good. But not a legend. If he was, then we would have been working at Man U years ago.

There is some crap written on here. TP is good. But not a legend. If he was, then we would have been working at Man U years ago.

You crazy fool ! Starting a messageboard argument with BB80 can only result in one very nasty outcome....

Utter crap...why stop there, why not say Barcelona? Didn't he turn down City in recent years anyway? He has been sought after but he's been happy staying with us.

Dave - Fair point about Stephens...probably will have missed out on the youth set up here.

Anyway, thought it was a decent article and good reason to prompt praise of someone who's been here for years and done a good job....apologies for that, I must instead get back in line and show adulation for a chap who's walked in 5 minutes ago as seems the current craze...

He's not exactly an "unsung hero". He's got lots of praise by lots of Latics fans.

True...I just think we would've slipped down the leagues had it not been for the work with the youngsters. I don't think it ever gets stated enough how important he's been for us...seems he's not a legend with some for this, yet a Paul Warne, a David Eyres or a Tony Carss (who I've no problems with being called Legends) are...strange that!

Edited by boundaryblue80

Sorry, Ross, but that really is a pathetic comment.

And here's his biggest fan...

Nothing pathetic about it at all...

The heroworshipping that's gone on so far, for not having done much yet, reminds me a bit like when Lee Hughes turned up...anyway, that's a different topic Clare...

Just reading the rarely wrong and this article inparticular...

http://oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-feature...a-bright-future

Personally, I think our club would've gone to the wall or be non-league but for the efforts of TP...most club end up pitching in kids and they generally struggle and sink. Only a club like Crewe have had some modicum of success at going up into the Champs but still, their conveyor belt couldn't last forever. Be it Haining chipping in years ago, Eardley coming through or a player like Stephens last season, we've managed to pull some decent players for this level to keep us at least here and not sinking through.

Also makes me shudder to think where this current crop might be (wonder how that may have affected the growth of Carr, Eaves and Brooke) had Shez stayed here longer, with his "no reserve league" policy.

Tony Philliskirk...a Latics Legend!

TP does a great job and, if only he could be persuaded, would have been my choice for manager at every appointment since Talbot.

However, I think the credit he can take for Stephens is limited. Sheridan deserves a lot of praise, as Moore does for Porter, for spotting the talent and signing him up.

TP does a great job and, if only he could be persuaded, would have been my choice for manager at every appointment since Talbot.

However, I think the credit he can take for Stephens is limited. Sheridan deserves a lot of praise, as Moore does for Porter, for spotting the talent and signing him up.

Indeed...point taken on the Stephens bit...I'd rather TP didn't get to manage us though as I'm happier where he is (esp. with our fans being so good at getting managers sacked).

TP is a latics legend. There is no doubt about that. Didn't leave to go go city, didn't walk in 2003. Brought through the kids, yes the set up was ok, but who had cone through for years? Erm.... Serrant? Holt? That's about it.

As for the craze of hero worshiping someone here 5 minutes... Yeah Ross, It is baffling and To be fair, we do seem to agree on the vast majority of topics. That said, In my opinion it's the best chance we have. If the negativity can snowball one way - why can't some OTT positivity? I'm not saying I'll be joining in, but I'm very pleased with Dickov so far.

His city connections don't bother me in the slightest - I have never had a problem with city. To any fan who has - look at him as Big Joes prodigy, cos that's what he was there.

I don't think there's any doubt that TP does a cracking job.

It's what happens when the "great prospects" leave his care that concerns me.

Deane Smalley and Lewis Alessandra, two examples among many, should have progressed in to automatic first team choices by now.

Perhaps we should be generating more transfer fee income than a Trotman every 3 years on the back of the hard work that doubtless goes on at Latics.

Excellent post Ross. I've been one of TP's biggest fans for several years, since meeting him a few times in various situations.

Having had the privileged of watching the Reserves with him for six months it's redoubtable to me how comprehensive his footballing knowledge is and how vital he's been to Latics.

People seem to forget he's been here for over a decade now, working predominantly with the reserve and youth setups during that time.

To compare Dickov's pre season to Tony's decade is laughable.

Excellent post Ross. I've been one of TP's biggest fans for several years, since meeting him a few times in various situations.

Having had the privileged of watching the Reserves with him for six months it's redoubtable to me how comprehensive his footballing knowledge is and how vital he's been to Latics.

People seem to forget he's been here for over a decade now, working predominantly with the reserve and youth setups during that time.

To compare Dickov's pre season to Tony's decade is laughable.

Who exactly made the comparison in this thread? so what you're saying Ackey it's a good post with a laughable bit too!

TP is certainly not unsung by the vast majority of Latics fans and any chance to praise him in my book is waranted. I think the vast majority of youth players that come into Latics youth set up have a great repose with him, whilst TP clearly enjoys passing down his knowledge to his charges. I think at this point Mick Priest deserves a mention as he too is doing a great job currently along side TP. Indeed all the aged coaches here at Latics of whom they are many.

Edited by Lags

I don't think there's any doubt that TP does a cracking job.

It's what happens when the "great prospects" leave his care that concerns me.

Deane Smalley and Lewis Alessandra, two examples among many, should have progressed in to automatic first team choices by now.

Perhaps we should be generating more transfer fee income than a Trotman every 3 years on the back of the hard work that doubtless goes on at Latics.

Like the £200k apiece for mini-Philli and the other lad whose name escapes me, (Spencer?), and the £250 for Eardley? Plus whatever we could have chosen to take for Taylor if we had sold when he was on fire, and the money we taxed from Wolfy's paper round?

Like the £200k apiece for mini-Philli and the other lad whose name escapes me, (Spencer?), and the £250 for Eardley? Plus whatever we could have chosen to take for Taylor if we had sold when he was on fire, and the money we taxed from Wolfy's paper round?

Oh stop putting handy facts in to undermine my point!

Git!

:grin:

I'd be negotiating a commission element to my contract if I was him. Unless he has already..

TP is a latics legend. There is no doubt about that. Didn't leave to go go city, didn't walk in 2003. Brought through the kids, yes the set up was ok, but who had cone through for years? Erm.... Serrant? Holt? That's about it.

As for the craze of hero worshiping someone here 5 minutes... Yeah Ross, It is baffling and To be fair, we do seem to agree on the vast majority of topics. That said, In my opinion it's the best chance we have. If the negativity can snowball one way - why can't some OTT positivity? I'm not saying I'll be joining in, but I'm very pleased with Dickov so far.

His city connections don't bother me in the slightest - I have never had a problem with city. To any fan who has - look at him as Big Joes prodigy, cos that's what he was there.

:applause1::applause1::applause1:

Spot on!! TP has done a fantastic job for OAFC; bringing home grown youth players through the club and making them either a.) established 1st team players or b.) a saleable asset has, for me; kept us in business over the last 5 years or so.....as there is no way we could have afforded to replace the likes of Taylor, Eardley, Smalley and going back further Haining & Vernon with players brought in to the club from outside....

As for the (albeit very small) minority who have issues with Dickov the player, and for his City connections – simply; get over yourselves. Such a school-boy and immature attitude IMO; ‘I’m not happy because he played for City’ or ‘Im not happy because he was a bit prickly as a player’ is no basis at all for not getting behind him in his new role as manager of OAFC. Oh, and Ross is it? You can actually be looking forward to this coming season with an enthusiasm that you thought had been finally lost last season, without ‘blindly cheering on the new man after 5 minutes in the job’.