Adam Stansfield - Merged

Just been reported on SSN that the former Exeter City striker Adam Stansfield has lost his fight against bowel cancer aged just 31.

Thoughts go out to his family.

For me he will always be remembered by being called Lisa by by Jeff Stelling and the boys whenever he scored on the soccer saturday show.

Adam R.I.P.

Terrible news. I remember when he was first diagnosed they said he was going for treatment and he was hoping to be back early this season.

It infuriates me how a story like this doesn't even make the first page on BBC Football.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Terrible shame considering he was only just diagnosed in April 2010. Played against us in both of our games home and away.

RIP Adam..

Gutted, 31, FFS life is :censored: sometimes! RIP Adam, my thoughts and condolences are with you, your family, friends and the Exeter City family

Rest In Peace. Thoughts go to his family and friends.

its great to see fans from all teams on Exeter's 606 page posting their condolences. and on there, i saw this from an aldershot fan:

Aldershot fan in peace. My stomach churned horribly when I heard this news. I'd seen him play many times and he was a delightful man and wonderful professional. In all the times I saw him I never saw a fan - home or away - who had something bad to say about him. This is a great tragedy and my thoughts are with his family and friends and everyone at the club.

As a tribute to a fine man, it would be nice if you did something similar to the fans of Club Brugge, who sing their late player, Francois Sterchele's name in the 23rd minute of every game, as this was his squad number. This would be fitting but the main thing is I hope everyone who knows him can manage their grief.

R.I.P

Awful news. You just don't expect someone that young to get bowel cancer, do you? I remember him being diagnosed but you always expect that someone so young and healthy will recover, it's terrible that it's taken him so quickly. RIP.

It's shocking that there seemed to be no mention of it on ITV before the match tonight, there are things that are far more important than football and for all the focus to be on 'will England get booed tonight' when a young man who has just lost his fight against Cancer is shocking.

R.I.P Adam

Terrible news. I remember when he was first diagnosed they said he was going for treatment and he was hoping to be back early this season.

It infuriates me how a story like this doesn't even make the first page on BBC Football.

I think it makes a refreshing change (though it's not on there for the wrong reasons). I've wondered for years why news reports have to focus on bad news - if there's been a plane crash, a baby murder or a thirty year old die of illness, why does everybody need to know of the misfortune? To send them under? To make them paranoid? Why? :unsure:

I think it makes a refreshing change (though it's not on there for the wrong reasons). I've wondered for years why news reports have to focus on bad news - if there's been a plane crash, a baby murder or a thirty year old die of illness, why does everybody need to know of the misfortune? To send them under? To make them paranoid? Why? :unsure:

To be fair to the papers/news etc, bad news is interesting.

Terrible news about Stansfield. Like someone said earlier, I'll always think of Jeff's comments when I hear his name. A cure for cancer is a must, everybody knows someone close who has succombed to this illness. Tragic.