Latics 0-1 Shrewsbury (JPT)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dissapointing tonight not because we're out, but the fringe players like Smalley, Taylor and Kelly had a chance to stake a claim to start on Saturday but no one performed.

Smalley can only play the potential card for so long before we have to accept he won't make it at this level. Taylor needs to remember he is a winger and stay out wide. I've never been a fan of Taylor playing on the right but maybe its worth giving it a go? He clearly isn't comfy on the left at the moment so something needs to change. To be fair to Kelly he tried but nothing came of for him and the lack of service won't of helped either but I don't think he is suited to play with DJ as they both have similar styles as they both go looking for the ball so more often than not they can be a bit of a distance apart or they have made the same run.

The team as a whole look like they have lost that little spark in the last 2 games in my opinion the absence of JJ at the back has made us resort to hoof ball a bit more than I would like to see, as tonight apart from rubes who's ok on the ball the 2 centre halves are not really good with the ball at their feet. But hopefully he will be back sat and we see us playing it out from the back which allows Stephens and Furman to be a little further up the pitch rather than having to drop deep to take the ball of the defence.

The last 2 games have definitly given Dickov a lot to think about.

Thought DJ and Kelly both very similar players and has to be one or the other with Tounkare not both together. Taylor had a decent first half but went missing second. Smalley was non existant and his potisioning is crap, Furman worked hard but Stephens really isnt playing well at the moment. Lee worked hard and tried to get forward when he could. Was impressed with McDonald when he came on.

I just shrug my shoulders and leave these days to be honest mate. I just don't let football be the catalyst for being in a foul mood any more.

Comes with age Jamie, disappointed but not surprised. we've been here before with a young team ten years ago. Then I was much more impatient still living off the good times which were still fresh in the memory. Now I've come to accept we're a :censored:e third division club that needs a bloody miracle to progress out of this league.

Tonight's performance wasn't too dissimilar from Saturday's. Some decent interchange between midfield and forwards but, as displayed against Yeovil, no end product.

No win in four but still unbeaten in the league. Let's hope it's a minor blip following our extremely positive start to the season.

For me, this was just a continuation of Saturday. Shrewsbury did the same job on us as Yeovil did. Except they looked more threatening. Which is not to say that they had any more posession or periods of pressure, but that they scored one and could well have had three but for the bar in the first 5 mins of the first half and a superb save by Brill in the 2nd.

In the true sense of "it's all about opinions" I don't think we hoofed it anymore than we did on Saturday, contrary to the previous posters. It was much the same over passing laterally and backwards when , several times, a player was making the right run, but was just not seen, or ignored. Lots of pretty little passes but nothing incisive.

Of the individuals, Brill didn't have much to do, but pulled off a great save to prevent a nailed on goal. Mvoto was more miss than hit, looked very nervous on the ball like his last outing. Hazell looked good until his outrageous yellow and subsequent subbing. Lee was decent, as was Black.

Of the midfield, Stephens had his poorest game for a long time - gave it away far too often. Furman his now-usual industrious self. Smalley was dog:censored: - he needs to seriously shape up quickly or he can go. Taylor is STILL on the wrong bloody flank. The only winger I know who doesn't get out wide and cross. He was OK in the 1st but anonymous in the 2nd. Kelly worked hard and had a half decent header go narrowly wide in the first but didn't get much other reward for his efforts. Bembo was average and was rightly subbed.

Which leaves the subs, and I thought they gave us a little more impetus when they came on. McDonald looked calm at the back and put himself about a bit. Whereas Tounkare looked sharp and up for it, as did Dikaba

Overall, very disappointing, despite it being the JPT. I hate losing no matter what the game. We missed Jarrett again and Jones who can't be re-instated soon enough.

Plenty to work on Mr Dickov.......

Spot on, DJ espcially - need to learn how to play the early through ball, something i think we missed tonight was a striker playing on the last man

Tonight's performance wasn't too dissimilar from Saturday's. Some decent interchange between midfield and forwards but, as displayed against Yeovil, no end product.

No win in four but still unbeaten in the league. Let's hope it's a minor blip following our extremely positive start to the season.

On the positive side you can be unbeaten with 0-0 results all season :wink:

I don't think we've found the answer to the right wing position yet, jones has done an adequate job but i'd like to see him given a chance in the middle.

Smalley IS NOT the answer.....application seems to be a big problem for him. Whatever happened to wingers skinning a man instead of turning backwards or inside?

The trusts request to help fund the acquisition of dikabi could be better utilised by drafting in a forward or winger imo.

What I thought we lacked were 2 things.

1) Lack of seniority

2) Lack of shots (sonfidence to shoot)

I didnt get to saturdays game due to holiday, and was suprised tonight to see Tounkara dropped to the bench. I though when he and the new lad (not sure of his name - played right mid) came on we looked more dangerous than we had all game. Maybe on saturday if Jones isnt fit he should start. He made a blinding tackle to stop them going 2 up.

I'm all up for a nice attractive passing game, but we need to shoot to be able to score.

Team for saturday (depending on severity of Rubes and Jarretts injuries)

Brill

Lee

Rubes (if not him then McDonald)

Jarrett (if not him then Mvoto by deafault)

Black

Dikaba

Furman

Stephens

Taylor

Tounkara

DJ Bembo

Keep up the passing but ffs SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

What I thought we lacked were 2 things.

1) Lack of seniority

2) Lack of shots (sonfidence to shoot)

I didnt get to saturdays game due to holiday, and was suprised tonight to see Tounkara dropped to the bench. I though when he and the new lad (not sure of his name - played right mid) came on we looked more dangerous than we had all game. Maybe on saturday if Jones isnt fit he should start. He made a blinding tackle to stop them going 2 up.

I'm all up for a nice attractive passing game, but we need to shoot to be able to score.

Team for saturday (depending on severity of Rubes and Jarretts injuries)

Brill

Lee

Rubes (if not him then McDonald)

Jarrett (if not him then Mvoto by deafault)

Black

Dikaba

Furman

Stephens

Taylor

Tounkara

DJ Bembo

Keep up the passing but ffs SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

No Jones in the side?

You were clearly at a different game! Taylor was sh*t again. Kelly has impressed me puts alot of effort in, just hasn't got that finishing touch.

he was one of the only players to beat a man...several times in fact. cut inside an awful lot tho.

nowhere near the quality we have seen from him but the best in midfield tonight. not much to competition there tho!

he was one of the only players to beat a man...several times in fact. cut inside an awful lot tho.

nowhere near the quality we have seen from him but the best in midfield tonight. not much to competition there tho!

He pisses about too much and its as if he is scared to enter the box, really frustrating to watch!

taylor and smalley a disgrace to the Latics fans and the whole club.

Not one ounce of effort, ability and common sense of their jobs was shown again tonight.

To both of them - you are :censored:ing wingers, STAY WIDE, BEAT the man and CROSS!! Not THAT hard!!

If I were Dickov, whilst Lewi is in injured (and he is a shoe in when he comes back to fitness at LW) id have:

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Jarret

JACOBSON

MILLAR

Furman

Jones

Black (at LW - can cross a ball and best a man)

Tounkare

Kelly

Subs: Gerrard, Mvoto, Holdsworth, Dikaba, Stephens, Bembo, Feeney

Dale not on his game these past 2 weeks, think he needs a week out of the side to get himself focused again, need actual width til Lewi is back as Taylor and Smalley should be out of the club for having done :censored: all for the past 12 months.

Kelly has a brain (in football terms) and i think he would link up well with the tank given time.

Give DJ a break and feeney needs to stop playing for NI and get himself fit and settled and doing his job for the club that pays his wages having played 18 games in 18 months!

The urgency has gone, needs changing whilst we are still well placed rather than letting the rot set into players.

FICCLE FICCLE FICCLE

thats all latics fans are its a disgrace. YES he should be playing wider and stretching the play like lewis was but once again all night untill tonk came on looked the most creative and dangerous force in a blue shirt. things didn't come off for him, it's not a coincidence that dickov mentioned tayls so much pre-season, saying he is a class apart alongside stephens. YES he isn't getting stuck in as much and ruffling the feathers of the opposition as much as others but christ on a bike the lad hasn't been fit for 18months and must always have the threat of injuries in the back of his mind. YES he isnt match fit .... once again not his fault, missed pre-season again and looks like he's flagging b/c was rushed back early AGAIN (as well as up to 4 times under Penney) due to losing LEWI, and is desperately searching for match fitness.

One moment summed it up for me tonight and reminded me of the way Eardleys fortunes and fans dwindled after being so hot. Kelly runs down a blind alley when the pass was on inside and lost the ball ... fans result=claps and no sighs. 2mins later chrissy runs down the same line and retains possession setting up black for a VERY dangerous near post cross ... fans result = "he's lost it that kid" "crap taylor" SIGH SIGH SIGH.

wots the difference there? YES taylor kept possession and yet produced more dissapointment.

LOMAX and EARDLEY .... that is the ficcle nature of latics fans .... we see a player reach a level of form and expect it, lomax never reached league 2 standard yet is adored, Eardley is still hated amongst 50% of fans who say he is "crap" despite now being a premiership player. Lomax is still believed to be a better player by certain fans .... FICCLE

Taylor is still our ticket out of this division. Allow him to get fit, support him instead of barrack him and we may enjoy the 2009 form again. Continue to spout rubbish like "get him out" and comparing his performance to that of Smalleys tonight will see the result being another Neil Eardley. The BP fans and the numpties on here would prefer to see another talent dissappear in front of our eyes.

Great start to the season is being ruined reading the posts we see all to often on this site.

KTF.

shocking and it was watching paint dry on a wall we were poor tonight.

Started off brilliant the first 5-10 minutes, putting some great passing moves together, and then what happened?

Dickov is going to have a job motivating them for Saturday but i'm confident that he and Taggart will do it and we'll come back fighting!

FICCLE FICCLE FICCLE

thats all latics fans are its a disgrace. YES he should be playing wider and stretching the play like lewis was but once again all night untill tonk came on looked the most creative and dangerous force in a blue shirt. things didn't come off for him, it's not a coincidence that dickov mentioned tayls so much pre-season, saying he is a class apart alongside stephens. YES he isn't getting stuck in as much and ruffling the feathers of the opposition as much as others but christ on a bike the lad hasn't been fit for 18months and must always have the threat of injuries in the back of his mind. YES he isnt match fit .... once again not his fault, missed pre-season again and looks like he's flagging b/c was rushed back early AGAIN (as well as up to 4 times under Penney) due to losing LEWI, and is desperately searching for match fitness.

One moment summed it up for me tonight and reminded me of the way Eardleys fortunes and fans dwindled after being so hot. Kelly runs down a blind alley when the pass was on inside and lost the ball ... fans result=claps and no sighs. 2mins later chrissy runs down the same line and retains possession setting up black for a VERY dangerous near post cross ... fans result = "he's lost it that kid" "crap taylor" SIGH SIGH SIGH.

wots the difference there? YES taylor kept possession and yet produced more dissapointment.

LOMAX and EARDLEY .... that is the ficcle nature of latics fans .... we see a player reach a level of form and expect it, lomax never reached league 2 standard yet is adored, Eardley is still hated amongst 50% of fans who say he is "crap" despite now being a premiership player. Lomax is still believed to be a better player by certain fans .... FICCLE

Taylor is still our ticket out of this division. Allow him to get fit, support him instead of barrack him and we may enjoy the 2009 form again. Continue to spout rubbish like "get him out" and comparing his performance to that of Smalleys tonight will see the result being another Neil Eardley. The BP fans and the numpties on here would prefer to see another talent dissappear in front of our eyes.

Great start to the season is being ruined reading the posts we see all to often on this site.

KTF.

ill agree he aint match fit and thus his ability to perform to his best will be affected I dont doubt it, but that doesnt FOR ONE MINUTE excuse the lack of fight to win any ball all game, to bust a gut to get up the pitch and into the box and to do the very least of staying in his allotted position of LW and do his job i.e. deliver a cross - poor Blacky had to do the job of 2 players because that 'ticket out of our division' was at one point stood playing defensive midfield and too gormlous to realise where he should be.

Stephens tried to find him countless times to spread the play, where was he? left back.

If i werent match fit I would be running my arse off all game to get fit and to get used to playing to my maximum and quick as possible, not pussy footing around - thats his problem, coasted for way too long in that because he is an oldham fan he can put in half arsed displays and get away with it - not for much longer, im sure LA will be in as soon as he is back if this waste of space, at present, doesnt buck his ideas up fast. I'd be ashamed to have come off that pitch tonight and done absolutely nothing of note AT ALL - the one chance he gets with time and space to pcik his spot he finds the RRE

And yes, we should expect players to play at a certain level as much as possible - United do with Rooney, Liverpool with Gerrard/Torres etc - if there are no high standards we settle for mediocrity and I personally would want us to do and be the best we can in all that we do, not the time-old 'so-so' mentality that has held this club back for god knows how long - im sure PD expects the best from his players every game and if not then they at least put a shift in.

Ill give him another month of playing to show me he is worth involving at all in the 1st team before I truly write him off, same goes to smalley

We shall see.........