Peterborough United 5-2 Latics

Yeah i'd go for that. Anyone heard from people at the game how Black was today? Was a bit surprised Jacobson wasn't given a go ahead of him given how well he's been doing in the reserves, and after last Saturday.

can fault first half...second half we pushed the panic button and didnt perform...

first defeat of season,big one,but im sure we will learn from this...

i fully expect it to be full of the usually :censored:ty comments on here over the course of the evening,that usually accompany a heavy loss...

2 goals again from midfield...id stop bringing defenders in on trial,and try and get a decent striker in on loan...its obvious were the problem is...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heads down, work hard on the training pitch next week, and dish out a hammering to Bournemouth next saturday

lets hope so

we need a good attacking confident performance and a win to batter away the dropped confidence levels and give them a gee up and quick.

looking for 6 from 9 out of the next 3

can fault first half...second half we pushed the panic button and didnt perform...

first defeat of season,big one,but im sure we will learn from this...

i fully expect it to be full of the usually :censored:ty comments on here over the course of the evening,that usually accompany a heavy loss...

2 goals again from midfield...id stop bringing defenders in on trial,and try and get a decent striker in on loan...its obvious were the problem is...

Did you go........a striker won't stop 5 goals going in will it?

Did you go........a striker won't stop 5 goals going in will it?

no i didnt go.so i wont comment on overall game play until i have spoke to a few mates who have gone...

strikers may not stop 5 goals going in,but out n out strikers score goals,so 2 from midfield,decent striker maybe will make the difference by scoring more goals..

why are people banging on about greegan returning,hes 36...last season he was outstanding,this season going off games i have seen he will be done for pace every game...

so, when was the last time we was involved in a 7 goal thriller?

*stares at prozac*

Was gunna say MK Scum away, Shez's last game but then remembered that was 6-2. As it is...Oldham 4 Millwall 3...1st game of Shez's last season...

*cough* we never let 5 in once last season *cough* :wink:

Seriously though, some major overraction on here as expected. Truth is, there's plenty to take out of today. BUT only if Dickov takes what there is to learn, on board (which Shez never did.) The first one being, when you're 2-0 up and in the 40th minute, don't be pushing forward. Hazell went up with play at one point (according to commentary) and we got caught on the break (this was a few mins before they scored.) Seems we were still going for it...with half time coming, we should've been consolidating. That goal right before the end of 45 was crucial.

Another thing to learn is, that side is way too young and it sounds like it showed it. I've felt that splitting up a good Hazell and JJ partnership is wrong to do, however it might be the cue (as long as he's fully fit) for Gregan to step back in now. Razza asks about the 36yr old...one I feel that will fall foul of fitness, but as I've predicted aplenty, this young side is going to be very inconsistent. I didn't expect it so within 90 minutes though. Very Jekyll and Hyde...maybe Posh exploited our youthfulness and weaknesses to a T. I do think Gregan would've got the side slowing it down and told one or two not to go bombing forward etc. And we'd have seen it through to the break.

Add to that, when Posh (according to the commentary) started kicking off and stamped on Jones, our heads went. Our concentration must've been shot after that...with the 4 goals we went on to ship. Again, another side of young kids not being able to cope. For me, I think Gregan has to come back in if he's fit. Nothing against JJ, but he's going to be good back up.

All in all though, I predicted us to lose 3-0 today (they're very potent and still, our strikers aren't registering...that's another worry mentioned by others) so after the gutting feelings slowly going, I'm not too downhearted by today. I guess that comes through my expectations of this season. Those with vastly over-rated ones will react accordingly tonight.

You can learn through losing. If a person wants to learn...hope Dickov does. A few more of these and he will have to, but I'm very confident he'll see where it went wrong today.

Edited by boundaryblue80

This time last year it would have been 5-0 not 5-2 :grin:

Peterborough have arguably got the 2 best strikers in the League in Smith and Mclean then add boyd onto that.

Lets crack on and forget this result !

Never let in 5 once last season :grin:

Only once let in 4 in a 4-2 defeat at Swindon...

As you say...let's crack on and forget this result...and last season eh...

As I predicted, we'll shock a few this season and get hammered by a few too. Only main worry today is the strikers not registering again...but overall, there's lots for PD to take from today.

Edited by boundaryblue80

Strikers not scoring again is a problem but you have to feel for Tounkara. He's getting a different striker next to him each game, how is he going to get a understanding going with any striker? Best player to be upfront with Tounkara, in my opinion, is DJ.

im sure the better team won but after going 2-0 up, you'd expect at least to get a draw. then we go and concede 5 goals. either dickovs half time talk was crap or johnsons was world class.

i bet his team talk was shoot assoon as you see brill stood in the net the guy is :censored:, the last few games the guy nearly lost them for us. GET RID HE WAS CRAP LAST YEAR and if we want any chance of promotion this year he needs to come out of that team........

i bet his team talk was shoot assoon as you see brill stood in the net the guy is :censored:, the last few games the guy nearly lost them for us. GET RID HE WAS CRAP LAST YEAR and if we want any chance of promotion this year he needs to come out of that team........

thats the whole point though isnt it....were not going for promotion are we...

brill is a decent keeper at this level,people werent coming out with this crap when he was keeping us in games recently was they...the keeper is only as good as the defenders in front of him...blacks had a mare the last 3 ghames...lee has had one off game...jarrett n hazell have both been off the pace recently....that coupled with no decent striker up front is the problem.....

1. We haven't any chance of promotion this season IMO

2. We would've lost those games he's "almost" lost us, if it weren't for him

3. Roy Butterworth commented after their 1st "Brill could have maybe got to the cross before he was beaten for the goal" then within 30 seconds added "I won't have a go at anyone for the goal, before I've seen a replay"...it's stuff like that which feeds this obsession to hate Brill who's actually done alright on the whole this season. Yes, he may go downhill and cost us but today wouldn't have been our 1st defeat of this season, but for him saving us elsewhere.

Frankly, using todays loss as another reason to slate Brill is baffling. While I'm far, far from his biggest fan, your post is quite frankly a bit :censored: (must add)...in my opinion :grin:

Edited by boundaryblue80

Were any of the critics actually at the game today because most of what I have read is utter tosh?

Peterborough are a strong good side, PB Goal 2 came after the fracas and we switched off when their guy hurled a Rory Delap like Throw in into the area

Goal 3 came from a mistake from Kieron Lee who before and after had a good game - but should have known better and he was punished by a great finish unfortunately.

Goal 4 was a free header from a corner which we should have done better from - heads were down and we were chasing the game

Goal 5 was a mis-timed tackle.

Goal 3 took the wind out of our sails however we continued attacking and created chances but inevitably got caught on the counter.

Post-Mortems of our season are not required at this stage or are you all just looking at something to moan at!

Strikers not scoring again is a problem but you have to feel for Tounkara. He's getting a different striker next to him each game, how is he going to get a understanding going with any striker? Best player to be upfront with Tounkara, in my opinion, is DJ.

i think we need a bit of consistency. in defence and upfront. hazell and jarrett will probably be the best option at CB and tounkara and feeney upfront. we need to stick with those for a few games and i think we will see less results like this and more in favour of us.

Were any of the critics actually at the game today because most of what I have read is utter tosh?

Peterborough are a strong good side, PB Goal 2 came after the fracas and we switched off when their guy hurled a Rory Delap like Throw in into the area

Goal 3 came from a mistake from Kieron Lee who before and after had a good game - but should have known better and he was punished by a great finish unfortunately.

Goal 4 was a free header from a corner which we should have done better from - heads were down and we were chasing the game

Goal 5 was a mis-timed tackle.

Goal 3 took the wind out of our sails however we continued attacking and created chances but inevitably got caught on the counter.

Post-Mortems of our season are not required at this stage or are you all just looking at something to moan at!

:applause1:

If Gregan played today i think it would have been a different score. He certainly would of given as good as he would have got and lead the team through the on slought in the second half, ala Southampton last season.

Surely after the Huddersfield reslut, everyone new what to expect the second half???? Peterbrough were always gonna go for the throat and they did.

Its easy to say with hindsight, but I wonder if we should have taken Tounkara off and brought oin Gregan to play in front of the centre backs after going 2 up.

I said if going out and attacking at teams means we'll be on the end of a fair few tonkings then so be it. We'll make up for it when we go away and pick up points at other places where we would have lost playing negative football and playing for a draw.

Not too bothered, we needed Gregan, but their attack force is quality. 6 games in before our first loss, I'd have taken that in August.

Next.

Its easy to say with hindsight, but I wonder if we should have taken Tounkara off and brought oin Gregan to play in front of the centre backs after going 2 up.

How in the hell do you expect our most immobile player (who also happens to be massively unfit) to play in some sort of holding midfielder role!?

How in the hell do you expect our most immobile player (who also happens to be massively unfit) to play in some sort of holding midfielder role!?

Would of been better if brought Greegs on for a striker, stuck JJ in mid and greegs in defence, BUT, why should we go defensively when we are winning? unless we are only a goal up with a few mins remaining.

I can't agree with all these Gregan carp. We're winning 2-1 so he brings Gregan on, and we lose 5-2 ...... imagine the stick he'd get for going defensive and bringing on an unfit Gregan ....

However that second half was sh*te, barely remember having a shot, didn't keep hold of the ball well, and it was only a matter of time after they got that first before they got level and pushed on, gutted because at 2-0 we was probably worthy of it and was keeping them quiet, goodness only knows where it went wrong. 3 draws and 1 defeat from the last four, back to reality fast.

cant believe some of the comments on here from people who clearly didnt attend the game. for a start brill wasnt at fault for any of the goals. gregan would have made a huge differnce today (if fit) and i wouldnt be at all suprised to see him start next week. on too many occasions jarret let it bounce or hesitated in getting the ball clear and rubes often divered instead of getting clear and he also had a hand in the 3rd goal due to being in lees way or vice verca and a lack of communication from the captian. everything peterborough did was long ball. we seemed to panic in defence. furman and stephens couldnt do there usual harrying and pressuring of the ball because they were bypassed. tounkara looked good again and feeney did well in parts but faded at the end but did very well for our 2nd goal. what a find wierd is that no body has mentioned that at 3-2 down we went 352 and didnt put taylor at left back as someone has said on here and then at 4-2 we went 343. ye ok the scoreline looks bad but we went for it thats why we conceded 5. its easy to keep it how it is at 3-2 down ask shez or penney but to actually go for it an throw caution to the wind takesa bit of balls and i would rather loose games 5-2 whilst having a go at it and throwing the kitchen sink at them than lose 3-2 and wonder what could have been. i enjoyed the day and enjoyed the game and that says a lot about the performance considering the score line

Just got back We played well up on till the 43 min when they scored (which did change the game) Brill needed to come out to collect but he hesitated. Jarrett and Hazell looked dodgy from start to finish. Black best defender. Lee had plenty of time to get ball out but decided to be stupid and dribble it out. We need a goal scorer Tounkara is not the answer he was missing for most of the game oh and soon as lewi is back taylor dropped

We are a young side who will be inconsistent,I predicted us finishing about 10th.Would have a fully fit Gregan in the side but not if he isnt 100%,would give Tounkare and Feeney time to gel though couldnt understand Bembo being left out the last few games.Lets get back to winning ways next week although I wont see it as Im away but will am confident we will bounce back from today.