Chris Taylor - Brentford Fan's View

Nobody complained when Rick Holden used to do it. The lads got a bit of confidence back and put a bit of steel in his game. You moan when he's soft and moan if he gets stuck in. Luring opposition players into making a mistake and fouling you is a big part of the game. It's not cheating, it's reading ur opposition. He does that more than he dives, I don't think he throws himself to the ground without contact, which is the cheating that most fans have a problem with.

hit the nail on the head there, excactly what i said, he rarely if ever just goes down , its contact then going down

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well there you go then try reading what is in front of you. i am not talking about any particular game and made it clear i wasnt at the game and wouldnt comment on it. im talking about chris taylor (he's a player not a game btw) who's the d**k now

if it makes you feel better then we will leave it there, i will just take the fact i was there getting behind the lads and watching CT find his feet again keep it up lad

The tackle for the penalty was awful. Lunged in, in the box and didn't get near the ball. None of their players even bothered to protest.

He does go down easy but he is comfortably the best player at our club who would no doubt be elsewhere if he wasn't a local lad and Latics fan.

dickov said it in his post match interview on GMR, he can be the team's best player and i think going upfront has done alot for him.

i was at the scunthorpe game when he annoyed their fans so much, he got two of them sent off, which was great for us and he had a great game himself. (not so great for me as i was in the scunthorpe stand and it happened right infront of me

he did have a great game thats when he was at his best. and he didnt have to dive to get them sent off. prob one of his best games that one untill clevland taylor tried taking his knee off

Like most, I'm glad to see CT getting back to a level of performance that we all know he is capable of - he's not there yet but he is clearly getting there game by game and I like him in his new role just behind the main striker, which I recall big Joe saying during his last spell here that he could see him ending up there because of his movement.

Having seen the highlights, the penalty is absolutely stonewall, even the Brentford players just had a look of acceptance on their faces, as there was no appeals to the ref as you usually get and I thought Tayls was clever how he tempted the defender into the challenge drew the foul. Whether or not he was actually injured only he and the physio really know and it's that aspect of his game that pees people off more than anything.

He does stay down so easily at the slightest contact at times. I know he gets a lot of stick and is often on the end of some really rough house treatment from the opposition so he may well be playing the game back with them, but it does get peoples backs up, including his own fans.

The big worry is that he play acts, doesn't get up and we concede. That would be unacceptable and I'm sure he knows that

We all know he's had a habit of going down too easily, although I've never seen him do it without contact. But yesterday was a nailed on pen. CT screwed their guy with a quick turn and the tackle was a poorly timed lunge at where the ball had been. Quite simply, he did the kid for skill and the way the tackle came in, I don't think I'd have been bouncing back on my feet straight away.

I didn't see the incident for the alleged smack in the chops, so I'll keep out of that one, but the initial post on the Brentford board suggests he was using gridiron tactics defending their set plays. From what I saw at our end, it was a 6 and two 3s. I'm also sure I saw one of theirs have a slap at (I think) Jones. Believe me, Brentford ain't all angls.

Tell you what, though. CT gets stuck into tackles to win the ball back now instead of wimping out. Keep at it, Chris me boy.

Seriously?

Went to the game yesterday and he didn't see him do much cheating, so have no idea what the Brentford fans' problem is, let alone our own fans.........

Spot on.

Whatever kind of 'cheating' you want to call it, diving, vidic defending*, making the most of something, etc etc is always going to work when the football league provides match officials that 80% of the time are simply put, utter utter shyte. You see other teams making the most of the fact the referee is off in his own world and its about time we made the most of it as well because in this league with these referees it really does make a big difference.

You take whatever advantage you can get, every team pushes to see what they can get away with. Referees make poor decisions against us all the time, no harm in evening up the score :p

* pretend to go for the ball and then just push the opposing player just as he is about to make contact with the ball

I think Taylor is an excellent player. Without him I think we would be facing relegation. I would even go as far as say that, after Gregan, I can't think of an Oldham player I would rather watch. When he is playing the game right.

We all know why he does it (the diving, not the knee high, potential leg breaking challenges that he occasionally does), because the rules award it. But I for one will never accept it. It's pathetic. Better players than him do it Messi for instance. But it is just plain wrong.

If you really watch the game and the speed that it is played at I believe it is clear that it does not take much to knock a player (any player) over if you want to - it may look that the aggrieved player is feigning injury or diving but in the majority of instances that is simply not the case. I agree that there are occasions when CT does go down too easily but for the most part the lad is moving at speed and is being fouled. The penalty was a prime example of Chris being too quick for the defender.

He put in a great competitive passionate performance yesterday and it was only his talking back to the referee and getting involved with his mouth that was the worry for me. At one point Dickov called him over to calm him down(*) - after his booking Chris was walking a disciplinary tightrope and it was the sensible move to bring him off before he was sent off and we lose him for the next game.

It is this part of his game that I think needs working on - but we are definitely beginning to see the player we know he can be - let's hope he keeps that agression channelled correctly.

(*) At least I think PD was telling him to calm down...

Edited by TheBigDog

Taylor really is beginning to find some form again and long may it continue, good goal again yesterday.

Definate penalty, no arguements.

Sour grapes as usual from losing teams fans, shock horror.

Exactly that man!

The switch to playing as the 2nd striker has come at exactly the right time for him; as he was treading water (or more to the point; going backwards) for the last 18 months+.

At Sheffield Weds; he was our best player; our most potent threat and the one player who caused their defence & midfield all sorts of troubles.

Once again yesterday; it appears he was the focal point for us again (I wasn't at the game; only going off the reports & BBC highlights).

A fit, on-form, confident & firing Chris Taylor is the best attacking player at our club - FACT as far as i'm concerned. He would walk into all of the sides in this division and a heck of a lot in the league above too. The issue is keeping him fiit, on-form, confident & firing.

As for the stick he coping from some on this thread - really he's dammed if does; dammed if he doesn't. He gets slated for 'being a mardy soft-ass' and lackin bite, hunger & effort. Now it appears he's added a spike; a nasty side to his game & is mixing it up and putting it about a bit; a he's getting flack for being a 'disgrace to the club'. I mean really........

CT is playing well, the team are playing well & long may it continue..........

Oh, and as for the "diving"; I'd say he has on the odd occassion 'made the most of contact' - but that' it; there has always been contact - i've not seen him dive outright, what I have seen him do is make sure the ref has seen & is aware there was contact & a foul. And I have no issue with that.

Enjoying the Brentford message board.

oldham gave us a lesson in football today and they wern't even that good. just the right attitude, composure and tactics needed to win a game.

Oldham weren't that good, they just worked hard

Penalty was a joke to be honest

Simple for me they had a better manager

To be fair, if that was a Bees player and he wound up the crowd like that at an away game the majority would love him

The number 18 (Taylor) did more in 90 minutes than all four of our midfielders combined.

Scored, won the pen, wound up the crowd

We were outplayed in mid field.

A mediocre team gave us a lesson on how to play today

Scott (their manager) said because Oldham believed in their game and stuck to it they won

Karleigh was beaten all over by their number 36

Oldham wanted to win more than us

their left back (number 35 who was making his debut today on loan from Arsenal) was all over the place in the 1st half

Oldham had a small guy in centre midfield to today who was spraying passes around and gave our 2 the complete run around, we couldn't get near him

oh for a Taylor in our side

the second half was all Oldham

both defences semed "lacking"

Oldham were physical but also played decent attacking football at pace and by the end of the day the gap bteween the 2 teams was massive.

Oldham continued to impress though and we were twice indebted to Spillane for two excellent covering tackles. A goal was coming and when their big forward outmuscled Woodman on the right he squared the ball back for the on rushing Furman to stroke the ball into the corner of the net. I was in despair, not only had we been caught out, but I wished we would score a goal like that. When the lad cut the ball back there were three or four oldham players rushing into the box, how I wish our midfielders would do that.

It was nice to see a young manager set up his side in an attacking formation, utilising exciting young talent, passing the ball on the ground and all this with a small budget. Sadly this manager was Paul Dickov

Edited by opinions4u

Enjoying the Brentford message board.

I love this.......

It was nice to see a young manager set up his side in an attacking formation, utilising exciting young talent, passing the ball on the ground and all this with a small budget. Sadly this manager was Paul Dickov

Our team has wound up so many home fans this season already; but for all the right reasons as far as I can see - for pressing, hassling & harrying; being physically up to the battle without being cyncial & outright dirty. Oh, and for playing some top football along the way too. Charlton, Brighton, Sheff Weds & now Bretford have all been 'wound up' by us; but as the dust settles; comments like the one above (begrudgingly) start to appear.

Happy days as far as I'm concerned - with rejuvinated players like Furman, Taylor & Lewis Alice to the fore........

The futures bright; the future's PD!!

The truth of the matter is, Taylor does sometimes go down a little too easy, but I can live with that. Ronaldo is the master of this and was bought for a cool 80 million. What really gets to me though is how he rolls around like he's lost his leg and then walks to the side with the physio like he's packing love balls!! I find myself muttering get up ya soft t***!!! However we know he can be a very effective player. He's slowly getting back to something like but still way off the period where he was ripping up sides. It's not the first time Taylor's copped the wrath of an entire away stadium, hell Swindon fans carried it on the season after....now that takes some doing.

Just seen the replay of the penalty award.

Taylor mis-controls it, their guy misses the ball with the tackle and crashes in to the side of his ankle.

Clear penalty, and it would certainly have hurt.

(I quite like the special "slip it under the keeper" approach to penalty taking, but would prefer the next one in the roof of the net please Dale).

We won. Stop moaning, some fans on here will never be pleased, when its not the food, stadium, owners, its players etc...

Taylor doesn't blatantly dive, when he goes down, there has always been some contact.

We could win the league playing Arsenal football every week but some on this board would still be unhappy about something..

We won. Stop moaning, some fans on here will never be pleased, when its not the food, stadium, owners, its players etc...

Taylor doesn't blatantly dive, when he goes down, there has always been some contact.

We could win the league playing Arsenal football every week but some on this board would still be unhappy about something..

And some disappear back into the woodwork for a while when we start doing well. I can think of one who regards M'Voto & Tounkara as "big dopes", but I don't think he has entered into this thread which openly states how well they played. His absence could, of course, be explained by him being away.

Edited by Bristolatic

I don't think anyone disputes that. It is frustrating though when he's completely rolling around in apparent agony after a fair challenge to try and win a free kick. We despise that when opposition players do it to us, it's double standards if we're in acceptance of him doing it on our team.

Among other things, Taylor is a first-class wind-up merchant. He's always got something to say to the ref or to whoever he's marking at set pieces, to the centre half when they're jogging back etc. And he marks the keeper when he's kicking from hand - possibly adding a few words of encouragement. The rolling around is probably part of this wind-up armoury and it's totally fine by me. If you're not cheating, you're not trying. *

*Only half serious.

Why do our fans want an excuse to have a go at CT?

When he's playing badly you get on his back, when he's playing well you accuse him of cheating. I think enough people have covered my views in this thread - he sometimes goes down easily but never without contact.

The lad is blue through and through, get behind him and lets hope he can keep up his good form.

Great to see Taylor getting back to his best. He's been a key player over the last few weeks, playing upfront as well so the strikers are starting to get the goals as well.

Taylor plays the game well, makes the most of every incident. He does dive which I don't approve of but on other occasions. A foul is a foul but sometimes the officials need a helping hand in making the decision. How many times have we and other side not been given stonewall penalties/free-kicks because the officials fail to spot it.

when its not the food

they had run out of all pies, pasties and sausage rolls before HT mind....no excuse for this IMHO.. :huh:

Guest Scratch2000uk

I thought all gingers had a bit of a temper?

I see worse than Chris does in the premier league week in week out, he's got some of his passion back, good for him...and us :D