rochdale vs latics

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be fair, and I know this will go against public opinion but Cooksey wasn't the even a good player. Carrs, Warne, all far better in my two cents and constantly overlooked. perhaps if they got offed we might recollect those players being better than they actually were and sing folk songs.

I can accept palmer and ritchie and that but are we that desperate for a hero?

Not a question of being desperate for a hero - simply singing the praises of those gone but not forgotten.

Ernie was loved by fans of both Latics and Dale. He epitomised what every fan would love to be. His obituary on the OS explains why there was only one Ernie Cooksey.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...0.html#continue

don't hear no songs bout bobby johnstone. 140+ apps 30+ goals.

The brilliant Bobby Johnstone is in good company, including Latics legends Ray Haddington, Eric Gemmell, George Hardwick, Tommy Walker, Frank Large, Jimmy Frizzell, Alan Groves, Jim Fryatt, Ryszard Kowenicki, Simon Stainrod, David Shaw, Rodger Wylde, Alan Young and Alan Williams.

Not a question of being desperate for a hero - simply singing the praises of those gone but not forgotten.

Ernie was loved by fans of both Latics and Dale. He epitomised what every fan would love to be. His obituary on the OS explains why there was only one Ernie Cooksey.

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsU...0.html#continue

Well said Mr Sideburns - Ernie was an honest footballer who gave everything on the pitch - not the greatest talent but he captured the hearts of many and the spirit of the football league - a top bloke sorely missed. :wink:

no i don't. we sing about cooksey now because hes brown bread not because of his efforts. we sang about warney and carrs because of the hard work however both were better players and all three were terrace heros. who do we still sing about? the dead one.

I think Latics and Dale fans would sing "One Ernie Cooksey' in unison if he was still alive, because he would probably be the guest of honour.

don't agree. you still cant tell me why we sing about a mediocre dead player and dont' sing about alive better than mediocre players or dead excellent players. its bollocks. leave it there i think.

People sing about Ernie because he died. It's a tribute to him and a way of remembering someone who represented a lot to a number of supporters and was taken too early.

Stop being a douche about it.

People sing about Ernie because he died. It's a tribute to him and a way of remembering someone who represented a lot to a number of supporters and was taken too early.

Stop being a douche about it.

+1

In a very; very far off way I take Zone’s point I guess but he / she hasn’t exactly put forward their argument in the best way I don’t think. In my opinion it is holey right that we still sing for Ernie – not least the fact he was taken so young & in such tragic circumstances with his partner heavily pregnant as she was when he passed; and for the fact that he epitomised the everyman efforts that every fan wants to see. In an age when the players from the greedy league were quickly turning fans away with their prima donna materialistic attitudes; to see someone come into the game; taking a pay cut just to live the professional football player dream; and to play the game with such a verve & enthusiasm was a joy to behold.

For those who don’t rate Ernie as a player – google the goal he scored Vs Grimsby away. Or have a chat with an Ex-team-mate if you can find one & see how highly they rated him...........

So, come Tues 2nd Nov – I most certainly will be singing ‘There’s Only One Ernie Cooksey’ and I’ll be proud to be doing so.

That goes without saying and would be great, but unfortunately the most vocal we get is when we sing the praises of our past heroes, as you've indicated in another post in this thread.

P.S. Pleeeeeease can we also have the second verse of the Andy Ritchie song:

Andy Ritchie's magic, he wears a magic hat

He played for Oldham Athletic, he's such a lovely chap

He scored goals with his left foot, he scored goals with his right

And when we played Man City he scored all feckin' night

:petesake:

no wonder people dont sing the second verse

to be fair, and I know this will go against public opinion but Cooksey wasn't the even a good player. Carrs, Warne, all far better in my two cents and constantly overlooked. perhaps if they got offed we might recollect those players being better than they actually were and sing folk songs.

I can accept palmer and ritchie and that but are we that desperate for a hero?

I don't think it's about desperation for a hero or anything. The manner in which he was taken (ie cruelly leaving a young baby behind) just makes it very poignant. Sure, he wasn't a good player technically, his career after Latics tells us so, but he arrived and lifted spirits with his never-say-day playing spirit. He played with true passion and never gave up; you could tell he took his opportunity with both hands. Don't forget, when he arrived it was a low a gloom around the club as I've ever known in 30 years of watching, and the way he conducted himself on the field just made us all believe that we could stay up. Not only that, he chipped in with a few vital goals (QPR at home, Brizzle away, Grimsby away) and had we not picked the points up in those games we would have gone down.

Whilst Cooksey doesn't fit the bill of true Latics hero, he's still one of the most fondly rememembered over the last decade, especially in an era of greed and selfishness in football. This is why I think he receives the praise and cheer and so he should.

I don't think it's about desperation for a hero or anything. The manner in which he was taken (ie cruelly leaving a young baby behind) just makes it very poignant. Sure, he wasn't a good player technically, his career after Latics tells us so, but he arrived and lifted spirits with his never-say-day playing spirit. He played with true passion and never gave up; you could tell he took his opportunity with both hands. Don't forget, when he arrived it was a low a gloom around the club as I've ever known in 30 years of watching, and the way he conducted himself on the field just made us all believe that we could stay up. Not only that, he chipped in with a few vital goals (QPR at home, Brizzle away, Grimsby away) and had we not picked the points up in those games we would have gone down.

Whilst Cooksey doesn't fit the bill of true Latics hero, he's still one of the most fondly rememembered over the last decade, especially in an era of greed and selfishness in football. This is why I think he receives the praise and cheer and so he should.

Thats my view too. When people were honestly suggesting new ground situations with the "ernie cooksey stand" etc. That is OTT. But he played for both clubs - and I'll happily sing "ERNIE FOR ENGLAND". Theres a time and a place for tributes. 2nd November at Spotland is he right time and right place. After all. That friendly in 2003 was where I first saw him.

Thanks everybody for some very good points. there is a time and place for these things and I agree, spotland is the right time and place for it. However, when we sing for Ernie let's not forget all the other fondly remembered "hero's" from our past.

I never rated him as a player though, that's my opinion and I apologise if it goes against the grain. but I'm sticking to it. so there you go.

I suppose Ernie is fresher in the mind than someone like Bobby Johnstone (who you mentioned and to an extent compared with earlier). Most Latics fans under the age of 40 probably don't know who he is. I never saw him play, but I'll bet he was ten times the player than Ernie was. Skill, talent and quality doesn't always make a cult hero. Effort, style and associating a player with a memorable event nearly always does.

Whilst I accept you may not have rated him and see that you seem bemused/perplexed at the hero-worship he is held, I just think your thoughts about him are a bit crass if anything.

I suppose Ernie is fresher in the mind than someone like Bobby Johnstone (who you mentioned and to an extent compared with earlier). Most Latics fans under the age of 40 probably don't know who he is. I never saw him play, but I'll bet he was ten times the player than Ernie was. Skill, talent and quality doesn't always make a cult hero. Effort, style and associating a player with a memorable event nearly always does.

Whilst I accept you may not have rated him and see that you seem bemused/perplexed at the hero-worship he is held, I just think your thoughts about him are a bit crass if anything.

Met Bobby many a time, he was a regular in The Westwood for years and became good friends with my Mum and Step Dad before retiring back to Scotland. Even managed to get his autograph. Good old boy always willing to chat with me about football. Always had plenty of stories about his tome in the game too.

As for Ernie, I think the chants at Spotland are appropriate for a lad who gave his all for both clubs. As for his continued hero worship i'm not so sure, I think a few are being overly sentimental.

However, if Ernie being continually mentioned keeps Factor 50 in the spotlight then only good can come from that.

I agree I thought they were great, but I suppose it's asking too much for Markoasis to make some more. :unsure:

Yep it is!!! The trouble I had getting them into the ground in the first place ........... never again.

Seriously though, I promised years ago that I would stop going to Latics if we ever sank so low as we'd end up playing Dale in the league. I broke that promise (stupid one anyhow) but I still can't bring myself to have any interest in this game..........

P.S I'm a born and bred Rochdalian