Feeney is fast becoming a waste of time

Barring injury...I don't think Tounkara deserves to lose his place!!

Exactly, you'd have to be mad to drop the Tank in favour of Feeney. Tank has more ability and it's hardly like he doesn't put the effort in. I'd like to see Brooke back to how he was in pre season, seemed to have found another gear and looked much stronger on the ball. If he can get back to that he could get us a few goals, no doubt.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

His constant going on international duty is neither here nor there for me.

When he's here he offers little or nothing to the team or squad, so consequently when he goes off on international duty we don't miss him atall.

The problem I have is that we are totally wasting a wage on him that could without doubt be better spent elsewhere, anywhere.

His constant going on international duty is neither here nor there for me.

When he's here he offers little or nothing to the team or squad, so consequently when he goes off on international duty we don't miss him atall.

The problem I have is that we are totally wasting a wage on him that could without doubt be better spent elsewhere, anywhere.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but I'm sure Hoskins would have come for a similar wage, what a signing that could have been...

We can't judge Feeney properly until he has a decent run in the team........ trouble is he's either injured or away on international duty! I agree with some of the posts here, we wouldn't miss him at all! He'll be on a decent wage so lets think about shipping him out and getting some quality in that can play on a more regular basis!

Some of the posts on this thread are beyond belief. If he's lucky enough to be selected to play international football, he should be selected. Okay, so the club suffers a bit. To suggest that he just retire is just absolute nonsense. Taggart used to have a go a Dwight Yorke for playing international football on the ridiculous basis that his country was rubbish.

How many of yous would turn down the chance to play for your country just so you could trot out for Oldham? If any England players decided they wanted to concentrate on their league football (let's say, Rooney) you'd be up in arms. Absolutely apoplectic. You'd call him selfish and lame and all that. Blimey.

rubbish

every player wants to earn as many caps for his country as they can, thats tripe mate

Not tripe at all.

Feeney has gone back on his word; as he told me & my mate in person; after the Bolton Pre-season friendly, that ‘Oldham are my priority; they pay my wages and to be honest; I’ve already won plenty of caps (at the time he told us 33; will be more though now)’

For me; he’s PD’s 1st mistake (his 2nd being Gregan out on loan IMO). The Warren Feeney of Stockport / Bournemouth ability is not the Warren Feeney we’ve signed – we’ve signed a player who has not really played for 4 seasons or so; and one who looks like that’s exactly the case. I remember him being quite a pacey ‘on the shoulder’ player who was a “buzzer” or more to the point; a right pain in the arse for the defenders. This season; he’s looked so off the pace it’s untrue; ‘a running in treacle’ comment on here is pretty darn apt.

I don’t think you can level at him that he isn’t trying; because I think he is – I just think that he isn’t the player he was; and is massively struggling due to his last 4 seasons of relative inactivity.

It’s a fallacy of his signing really that in fairness he’s IMO the 6th ‘best’ striker we have on the books on current ability shown / what is brought to the table in terms of the playing side – and in that working out; I include Chris Taylor ahead of him; even though Tayls is by trade a winger; and Lewis Alice; who was a striker but is now being turned into a winger; oh and lad who upto this season was a semi-pro in Ireland.

I will still obviously give him vocal support at games whenever he does actually play for us; but I can’t help thinking that this is one of those signings that just isn’t working / wont work out.

E4e

DISAPPOINTING

Not tripe at all.

Feeney has gone back on his word; as he told me & my mate in person; after the Bolton Pre-season friendly, that 'Oldham are my priority; they pay my wages and to be honest; I've already won plenty of caps (at the time he told us 33; will be more though now)'

For me; he's PD's 1st mistake (his 2nd being Gregan out on loan IMO). The Warren Feeney of Stockport / Bournemouth ability is not the Warren Feeney we've signed – we've signed a player who has not really played for 4 seasons or so; and one who looks like that's exactly the case. I remember him being quite a pacey 'on the shoulder' player who was a "buzzer" or more to the point; a right pain in the arse for the defenders. This season; he's looked so off the pace it's untrue; 'a running in treacle' comment on here is pretty darn apt.

I don't think you can level at him that he isn't trying; because I think he is – I just think that he isn't the player he was; and is massively struggling due to his last 4 seasons of relative inactivity.

It's a fallacy of his signing really that in fairness he's IMO the 6th 'best' striker we have on the books on current ability shown / what is brought to the table in terms of the playing side – and in that working out; I include Chris Taylor ahead of him; even though Tayls is by trade a winger; and Lewis Alice; who was a striker but is now being turned into a winger; oh and lad who upto this season was a semi-pro in Ireland.

I will still obviously give him vocal support at games whenever he does actually play for us; but I can't help thinking that this is one of those signings that just isn't working / wont work out.

E4e

DISAPPOINTING

Exactly, this is the issue with having Feeney in the team and not necessarily down to his own doing. At the time people felt he was a good signing and knew that he would be considered for NI. As it turns out it seems to be having a detrimental effect on his club form. The fact that so many people are cheesed off with the situation indicates that they feel he would be a valuble member of the squad with an extended run however that simply hasn't happened.

Unfortunately it appears that WF is a luxury which a club with our finances and at our current level cannot afford and a mistake on the management side of things.

Whilst I hope that he does turn out to be the player which we thought we had signed it hasn't helped his case that we have been getting good results and therefore Warren is finding it harder to get selected for us as the current 11 seem to be more or less selecting themselves on a weekly basis, at least he is getting top level games in whilst warming the bench and not just stuck to playing in the ressies.

The big question is would we be better off with a player of slightly less ability who would be a constant in the side?

As has been said 17th November does not clash with any first team games here. Might as well get some more action playing for Northern Ireland.

Also after this game Northern Ireland do not have another game until the 25th March. That's a gap of 4 months without any International football. He will be able to concentrate fully on playing for us and his best chance to get settled in and produce the goods that he has done in the past.

I would give him until March, that's plenty of time to be given a good run. If he isn't producing anything like what we think he can then should be the time to get rid of him. He can still go on loan to another club then.

Would never complain about a player wanting to play as many times as possible for his country - even friendlies etc.

However, when he has played for Latics I have yet to see anything from him that wouldn't have him behind Tounkare, Keppy, Taylor, Brooke and Mvoto in terms of a forward pecking order.

4 months is a shory period of time in some respects, but this had been a loan spell rather than a full signing I don't there would be many pushing us to sign him i.e. we have measured, judged and discarded many players on far less time and not thought twice about it.

Some of the posts on this thread are beyond belief. If he's lucky enough to be selected to play international football, he should be selected. Okay, so the club suffers a bit. To suggest that he just retire is just absolute nonsense. Taggart used to have a go a Dwight Yorke for playing international football on the ridiculous basis that his country was rubbish.

How many of yous would turn down the chance to play for your country just so you could trot out for Oldham? If any England players decided they wanted to concentrate on their league football (let's say, Rooney) you'd be up in arms. Absolutely apoplectic. You'd call him selfish and lame and all that. Blimey.

There's a certain ginger haired midfielder who decided to do exactly that. Didn't work out too badly for him...

i'm sorry, but I wasn't aware players were lawfully required to play for their country at all times.

It's called international retirement, or in Feeney's case, trying to maintain a career for the sake of a few friendlies.

If he had any sense he wouldve just focused on us for the first 6 months and said 'No' to NI having had a chat with NW about his lack of career over the last 2 years.

Finding form and fitness would then benefit all concerned upon his return to the NI setup - they can't be that bad that they NEED him at all times.

I just don't buy this 'hes got to play for his country' rubbish - reality check needed in this case regarding his career - the fact he is mssing games with us given he isn't even a starter for us this season smacks of where his true priorities lie - and it aint with us

Whats stopping him from calling international retirement? Who's saying he is legally required toplay for NI? at the end of the day its his decision knowonelses if hes called up to NI squad he can answer the call or turn it down as he pleases no matter how good or crap he maybe the clubs should never have the final say on this.

Whats stopping him from calling international retirement? Who's saying he is legally required toplay for NI? at the end of the day its his decision knowonelses if hes called up to NI squad he can answer the call or turn it down as he pleases no matter how good or crap he maybe the clubs should never have the final say on this.

It has to be an agreement between player and National FA. If the National FA calls up a player they are obliged to play for them. Think this happened with Rodney Jack when he was playing for us? It was one of the players from that era.

rubbish

every player wants to earn as many caps for his country as they can, thats tripe mate

This is true. Your legacy is how many times you played for your country.

You won't get people in fifty years saying. David Beckham he made 87 appearances for LA Galaxy. It will be. The man played nearly 100 times for England.

He's got 4 months to get himself properly settled here. He'll have no Northern Ireland distractions until late March. I think we should back him to get himself sorted rather than giving up already.

He hasn't performed in a Latics shirt yet and if he continues to do so then yes get rid but I think these next few months will help him and we should get behind him to help him find his form again.

There's a certain ginger haired midfielder who decided to do exactly that. Didn't work out too badly for him...

Nor Shearer - it seems blokes that aren't flash consider playing for England a blag. Fancy that. :lol:

You won't get people in fifty years saying. David Beckham he made 87 appearances for LA Galaxy. It will be. The man played nearly 100 times for England.

Becks has well over 100 caps - most capped outfield player. 115 if memory serves me right. :imnotworthy:

What happened to the theory that the main man would prove vulnerable strutting around and bashing people in our high line, (which even I found a moderately reasonable viewpoint)? ^_^

It's still going strong in the rational amongst us. :wink:

What happened to the theory that the main man would prove vulnerable strutting around and bashing people in our high line, (which even I found a moderately reasonable viewpoint)? ^_^

Did I say he would be playing?? :wink:

I stand by the point I’ve made about him being vulnerable in the high tempo / high line we now play BUT I think that he would still be invaluable to have around the squad; especially with our youthful; non-vocal side. I thought that a re-negotiating of his contract to a coaching role (but still keeping him registered as a player for a ‘break glass in case of emergency’ CB) would have been a suitable ending to his time here; leaving him with a role still to ‘play’ this season; working on a match-day in a similar role to that of Dux etc.

Instead he’s passing on his immense experience of the game to the players of Fleetwood and not us.

Absolutely loved watching Greegs in his playing time here – would have hated to have seen him decline quickly and struggle in the 1st team glare this season.......

Hmmm. Not bad. Okay. You got me there, but I would have gone with something like this:

I wouldn't mind in the slightest at the moment if Rooney retired to concentrate on whoring and waddling around Salford Red Sox front line.

Good for Scholes (for turning his back on the needy), but I don't think any footballer should get slagged off for wanting to play for their country.

if feeney wants to play for NI, who are we to stop him?

but if he does, it should be up to him to force his way back into the side. i think taylor and oumare upfront are playing well and kelley is getting better every time he comes off the bench. it will either take an injury or feeney himself showing himself to be a professional and a good player to get a run of games together.

Dickov has said once he gets a run, he will start to score, and he's right, but i can't see when the run will come with the strikers we have.

Hmmm. Not bad. Okay. You got me there, but I would have gone with something like this:

I wouldn't mind in the slightest at the moment if Rooney retired to concentrate on whoring and waddling around Salford Red Sox front line.

Good for Scholes (for turning his back on the needy), but I don't think any footballer should get slagged off for wanting to play for their country.

You're right they shouldn't, I personally was questioning Feeney's footballing ability not his international away days.