1. 1. Finishing position?

• Champions
    • Automatic Promotion
    • Play Offs
    • 7-12th
    • 12-15th
    • 16th-20th
    • Relegated

Right weve reached a 3rd of the way through the season I think its a fair time to reflect how the seasons gone

It goes without saying really that I think that we have done really well considering the experience expense and talent that is in the squad we have probably exceeded what certainly what I was expecting and probably what alot of others were thinking to at the start of the season I really had my doubts about this season. Credit must go to Paul Dickov, Gerry Taggart for the way they have tackled with the way they have tackled their first managerial appointment and have been a breathed new life into the club.

The players themselves must take a lot of credit too. I think the most important thing to me is that we have a team that is going out their and doing its best to win games of football I can tolerate the odd defeat the odd mistake here and there. What we got last season was a negative approach to games a fear of failure this season we have a team with the desire to win which transmits to the stands and has made Boundary Park a much happier place to visit on Saturday afternoon. The player who epitomise this most is Dean Furman who if he keeps up his early season form should have no trouble winning player of the season last season he didn't score this season he is joint top scorer and gets about the pitch with the energy and determination of a young Nick Henry. Kieran Lee has continued his good form from last season and has been given more of a licence to get forward which gives us an outlet on the right on the overlap and has even allowed him chip in with a few goals himself. The signing of Tounkara and Mvoto have been impressive not an easy thing to come in and replace the 2 best players from last season but both have done so really well. Tounkara (the Human Wrecking Ball) has given us pace and power in our forward line with his running and gives defenders nightmares. Still needs to be abit more clinical in front of goal but that will come, Mvoto has had to fill the big boots and even bigger shorts of Sean Gregan, and has been excellent, and has become a tower of strength at the back and also gives us options from set pieces in the same way that Trotman used too. Dean Brill has improved immensely as well to come back from the absolutely horrendous start to his Latics Career if he had never played again for us after that Hartlepool game last season I don't think many would have complained, he is still prone to the odd mistake but the amount of mistakes has decreased massively. Plus he is clearly the most vocal player on the pitch which in a young side like we have is clearly a big bonus, and means that we miss Greegs less, and at 24 is still nowhere near his prime in goalkeeping terms so perhaps their is a lot more to come from him.

So what about the rest of the season? Well continuing the current form should see us in the play offs, however if I'm honest I think we will drop points over the course of the season. This side reminds me of the 06/07 season and about November 06 we were looking almost unbeatable however come march April time that team seemed to tire physically and mentally mainly due to a lack of strength in depth. Nevertheless that team got to the play offs and if this team does that it will go down as a fine season. What’s going on off field still worries me and with the owners "severing ties" and events could unfold that could change everything in the worst case scenario. However based on that not happening and if we can keep this squad together I have gone for a 7th-12th finish which was considerably higher than it was in August

Thoughts?

Edited by GlossopLatic

I've gone for a play-off finish. We've been playing some of the best stuff i've seen us play in a long long time. Okay, we've drew a few which we should have won but I'm very optimistic that we can continue with our good form.

-WAITS FOR DOOM AND GLOOMERS-

So now over 90% so far think we will finnish top half minimum interesting looks like expectations have risen from the start of the season.

Mid-table obscurity for me. Said it at the start, you'd have to be a poor manager to get us relegated in this division. But, we have to accept that that is where the club is - not sack the manager for finishing in mid-table, even if he does it for the next five years. Because next time it may well be a poor manager we appoint.

Mid-table obscurity for me. Said it at the start, you'd have to be a poor manager to get us relegated in this division. But, we have to accept that that is where the club is - not sack the manager for finishing in mid-table, even if he does it for the next five years. Because next time it may well be a poor manager we appoint.

:rolleyes:

i'd still be happy with top half and i think we will finish around there. the difference between this season and last season is that we are playing good football so wherever we finish, we will have given every game a go which is what every football fan realistically wants to see.

you miserable.....

I have gone for play offs, maybe a tad ambitious but i believe from what i have seen or read this season there is no one that is better than us at the minute. It is a very open league and anyone who can string a decent run together when it matters come Feb, March or April will go up or be in the play offs. The past few weeks have shown me that this Oldham squad are more than capable of putting a run together and as long as we are there or there abouts come these crucial months then why can't it be us.

However a couple of off performances from key players or a couple of long term injuries or even a looming January transfer window may be the difference from a season with great potential to a season of what might have been.

Roll on Tuesday and hopefully another 3 points and 3rd in the table going in to the the Dale game on Saturday.

Touchet.

It's touché. :blink::lol:

I voted 7-12 and 12-15 cos I think we'll end up somewhere in the middle but not sure where.

I just feel it's going to be very difficult to sustain the momentum and could depend a great deal on what our squad looks like on 1 Feb.

Midtable obscurity would be fine, anything above that is a real bonus.

We also have to remember it's a very tight division. Lose a couple of players in January and/or lose maybe 3 games on the trot and we could very quickly get dragged into the bottom half scrap. Yes that looks unlikely right now, but we all know only too well how quickly a season can turn in the new year.

Edited by garcon

It's touché. :blink::lol:

I voted 7-12 and 12-15 cos I think we'll end up somewhere in the middle but not sure where.

I just feel it's going to be very difficult to sustain the momentum and could depend a great deal on what our squad looks like on 1 Feb.

Midtable obscurity would be fine, anything above that is a real bonus.

We also have to remember it's a very tight division. Lose a couple of players in January and/or lose maybe 3 games on the trot and we could very quickly get dragged into the bottom half scrap. Yes that looks unlikely right now, but we all know only too well how quickly a season can turn in the new year.

Pretty much go along with that.

We did one of these at the start of the season / pre-season.....and i voted 12-15 in that one. Simple Progression from the previous the season.

Voted 7-12 in this one though as:

a.) We are managing to play a heck of a lot better than i thought we would do

b.) the division isn’t as strong as I thought it would be; linked to the above obviously in that we’re playing better.

It all hinges on what shenanigans happen in January though.

I'll stick with my lonesome pre-season view. That being that we will be handily placed and looking upwards after 30 games.

It was obvious to me after about 5 minutes that we had struck gold in Dicko and Taggs. A good management team alone takes you far in the lower leagues.

Dicko has the perfect managerial aura (largely thanks to being Scottish perhaps) and says the right thing every time. His playing persona was so far from his managerial persona it's untrue. Meanwhile I thought Taggs came across just as well in his LP interview last week. I suppose this is easier when things are going well and everybody is behind you, but I thoroughly expect them to keep it up.

So play-offs (though auto had we kept Greegs). Cheers.