Student Protests turning ugly again

oafcprozac

God Bless the Tories and their Lib Dem bitches, the unrest will only spread imo as more an more people realise just how they are going to be affected. Had to LMAO at the guy peeing against a police van on live tv...

Gawd....what's happened to the police....in days gone by (like 30 years ago), a copper would have walked up given the the bloke a healthy tap on the knackers with his truncheon and told to "move on". Now......unlikely to get arrest the bloke......scandalous state of affairs!!!

Gawd....what's happened to the police....in days gone by (like 30 years ago), a copper would have walked up given the the bloke a healthy tap on the knackers with his truncheon and told to "move on". Now......unlikely to get arrest the bloke......scandalous state of affairs!!!

Probably had to risk assess the likelihood of the offender trapping his little chap in the zip of his pants....and the possibility of the ensuing compensation claim for 'entrapment' :grin:

Just plonk the costs of all the protests on their fees in future years. Problem solved.

Although, as usual it appears to be twenty students and 20,000 paparazzi.

Why stop at student loans for university is what I say.

Supposing that a four-year-old from, say, the Oozewood estate, is known to have the same aptitude as someone from, say, the Blenheim estate, why not give the little mite the chance to borrow money to send himself to prep school, and thence to Eton, and thence to Oxford? With the advantages he or she gains from their superior education, he or she can pay back what he or she owes and then some.

Simples. Let's make things freer and more free market and based on borrowing. Just thinking aloud.

You seem to really dislike people protesting... why ?

Really?

To be honest, on the one hand it's refreshing to see some of today's students actually have some kind of political awareness.

On the other hand, if the pointless whining of some silly little NUS bird on the radio this morning is anything to go by, they genuinely don't have a clue what they're protesting about.

And you have to admit, most students, whatever their political persuasion, could benefit from a shower. <_<

Really?

To be honest, on the one hand it's refreshing to see some of today's students actually have some kind of political awareness.

On the other hand, if the pointless whining of some silly little NUS bird on the radio this morning is anything to go by, they genuinely don't have a clue what they're protesting about.

And you have to admit, most students, whatever their political persuasion, could benefit from a shower. <_<

Sorry if I read you the wrong way... and yes, some of them really do :P

Got slightly caught up in the Newcastle one today, according to the Beeb website there were hundreds, to me it was more like a couple of thousand. There was a heavy police presence (at least a couple of hundred, but a decent proportion of those were traffic control)- they even had the chopper copter up.

However, I will point out this was a wednesday lunchtime, when the almost all the undergraduates have the afternoon off- not exactly walking out of seminars/lessons/practicals. Although not every student is posh the ones I heard were on the posher end, considering Princess Eugenie/Beatrice goes to Newcastle uni a lot of very posh children go to Newcastle uni. £9k a year is about the same as it is a term at some of the public schools in this country, £9k is not a huge amount for the parents (it will in 99% of the cases be the parents footing the bill) in this instance, why not charge those students more and let more people from less well off backgrounds pay less.

University education is a priveledge not a right and its about high time people realised this. It isn't just the Tory/LD coalition that is doing this its Labour as well, they targeted 50% of people to go to uni, they brought in student fees, and then they put them up by 300% (exactly the same % as the proposed changes). Putting the money up for university in this country will have problems in the future with a brain drain, why would you go to uni in this country, if you can go to uni in places like the states for not much more money, and then earn more once graduated.

They're the idiots who all voted Lib Dem.

Chanting shame on you for turning blue.

Who uses the phrase 'shame on you' that isn't a stuck up posh nerk?

I wish someone would just set Cameron and Clegg on fire!

I might go down with some lemons. Reminds me of Paris.

Got slightly caught up in the Newcastle one today, according to the Beeb website there were hundreds, to me it was more like a couple of thousand. There was a heavy police presence (at least a couple of hundred, but a decent proportion of those were traffic control)- they even had the chopper copter up.

However, I will point out this was a wednesday lunchtime, when the almost all the undergraduates have the afternoon off- not exactly walking out of seminars/lessons/practicals. Although not every student is posh the ones I heard were on the posher end, considering Princess Eugenie/Beatrice goes to Newcastle uni a lot of very posh children go to Newcastle uni. £9k a year is about the same as it is a term at some of the public schools in this country, £9k is not a huge amount for the parents (it will in 99% of the cases be the parents footing the bill) in this instance, why not charge those students more and let more people from less well off backgrounds pay less.

University education is a priveledge not a right and its about high time people realised this. It isn't just the Tory/LD coalition that is doing this its Labour as well, they targeted 50% of people to go to uni, they brought in student fees, and then they put them up by 300% (exactly the same % as the proposed changes). Putting the money up for university in this country will have problems in the future with a brain drain, why would you go to uni in this country, if you can go to uni in places like the states for not much more money, and then earn more once graduated.

University education should be for everyone who wants it. Also it up to them if they want to stay in this country or aboard. They might not like the united states. I don't agree with what labour did and set targets for how many people they wanted to go to university. Its up to the person.

University education is a priveledge not a right and its about high time people realised this.

University was always a privilege beyond the average working class family. It seems some want a return of these days and it stinks. Specially ones who have got their degrees and paid a lot less for that "privilege"...

I don't really give a stuff what Labour did... or what has happened in the past... It was :censored: when they brought in the fee and it is :censored: now with the fee going so high. The pay back from University funding is three times the cost. Putting the burden on students if nothing but idealogical bollocks. I wouldn't want to come from a Working class family in the future. Its going to be really :censored: to be frank.

University was always a privilege beyond the average working class family. It seems some want a return of these days and it stinks. Specially ones who have got their degrees and paid a lot less for that "privilege"...

I don't really give a stuff what Labour did... or what has happened in the past... It was :censored: when they brought in the fee and it is :censored: now with the fee going so high. The pay back from University funding is three times the cost. Putting the burden on students if nothing but idealogical bollocks. I wouldn't want to come from a Working class family in the future. Its going to be really :censored: to be frank.

But don't far more people go to Uni now than before the fees were introduced? And when was it, "always a privilege beyond the average working class family?" My parents are in their 60s, both grew up in council houses and went to Uni on grants. They largely supported me through my spell, I left with about £6k debt IIRC. Nobody need not go now either for financial reasons, they will however have to think a little harder about whether it's actually value for money. I suspect that most, "middle class," families will be letting their kids pay the loans back themselves just as much as the poorer ones will.

But don't far more people go to Uni now than before the fees were introduced? And when was it, "always a privilege beyond the average working class family?" My parents are in their 60s, both grew up in council houses and went to Uni on grants. They largely supported me through my spell, I left with about £6k debt IIRC. Nobody need not go now either for financial reasons, they will however have to think a little harder about whether it's actually value for money. I suspect that most, "middle class," families will be letting their kids pay the loans back themselves just as much as the poorer ones will.

I am thinking anyone of around school age before the 1980s would probably be true to the statement " privilege beyond the average working class family?" although the use of the word "beyond" is probably too strong. The mindset of a working class lad (or girl) rarely thought about going to University. I will give Thatcher one tick in the box and their was something good came from her time and it was the change of the mindset in the working class to "better themselves" which lead to people seeking to go to University and it started something of tidal wave in education. The example of your parents is a rare one. The chances of a working class person hitting the level where they could get a Uni place was reasonably rare for many political, financial, economical and social reasons.

I was the first year to pay tuition fees (1998) and the thought of paying them and going into the debt I would have to get into scared me. £12k to £20k of debt is scary to a working class lad. It is now going to be more like £30k to £50k of debt. I can see that scaring a lot of working class people off.

Today's approach to funding education isn't my real concern as its only a mindset barrier at the moment. It is the path we are now walking down and the real danger of literally pricing out the working class from Uni in the future when it becomes totally unregulated and funded via private loans.

The numbers going to Uni is probably too high and the courses not offering enough value. The solution isn't to price out the working class/

Edited by oafc0000