West Ham

Anyone got any links to actual reports to show a cocky West Ham fan?

That I can print out!

Cheers

I will never forget walking down to BP that night and my dad asked a bunch of them when the second leg was and their response was there wont need to be one when we :censored: batter you tonight................. if only they had known what was about to occur!

And that was the beginning of the end for our scoreboard!

That I can print out!

Cheers

From guardian.co.uk:

THE MOST STUPID FOOTBALL FANS EVER (2)

In last week's Knowledge, Francis Kingdom kicked off our search for the most foolish supporters in history. Thankfully, your nominations for dunderhead devotees just keep on coming ...

Peter Harthan recalls another rash bunch of prematurely celebrating fans. "West Ham and Oldham were going for the old Second Division championship on the final day of the 1990-91 season, with Oldham needing to beat Sheffield Wednesday and hope that the Hammers failed to beat Notts County," he says. "When the final whistle blew at Upton Park, although they'd lost 2-1, the latest news from Boundary Park was that Oldham were losing 2-1, so the Hammers fans invaded the pitch in the belief they'd won the league. However, a deflected goal from Paul Bernard pulled Oldham level, before, three minutes into injury-time, Neil Redfearn dispatched a penalty to win the title. The Hammers' fans had been celebrating for a good 10 minutes before news filtered through. The final twist is that the trophy had been engraved in West Ham's name after their game and still had their name on it when it was delivered to Boundary Park two days later."

From guardian.co.uk:

THE MOST STUPID FOOTBALL FANS EVER (2)

In last week's Knowledge, Francis Kingdom kicked off our search for the most foolish supporters in history. Thankfully, your nominations for dunderhead devotees just keep on coming ...

Peter Harthan recalls another rash bunch of prematurely celebrating fans. "West Ham and Oldham were going for the old Second Division championship on the final day of the 1990-91 season, with Oldham needing to beat Sheffield Wednesday and hope that the Hammers failed to beat Notts County," he says. "When the final whistle blew at Upton Park, although they'd lost 2-1, the latest news from Boundary Park was that Oldham were losing 2-1, so the Hammers fans invaded the pitch in the belief they'd won the league. However, a deflected goal from Paul Bernard pulled Oldham level, before, three minutes into injury-time, Neil Redfearn dispatched a penalty to win the title. The Hammers' fans had been celebrating for a good 10 minutes before news filtered through. The final twist is that the trophy had been engraved in West Ham's name after their game and still had their name on it when it was delivered to Boundary Park two days later."

Almost right isn't it. It's the W that has been engraved. The trophy is at Prestons ground for all to see, although you have to press your face up against the glass to see the W/Oldham bit, it is certainly there.

I have a Notts County friend who enjoyed those few minutes almost as much as we did.

That I can print out!

Cheers

From the West Ham KneesUpMotherBrown Forum:

Re: When was the first time

by SirStoneyOfBow on Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:14 pm

I remember going to Boundary Park and see us lose 6-0 to Oldham Athletic on that piece of sh*t plastic pitch. When was that, 1990, '89?

I was about 10, but I felt terrible considering it took 6 miserable hours to get home.

Almost right isn't it. It's the W that has been engraved. The trophy is at Prestons ground for all to see, although you have to press your face up against the glass to see the W/Oldham bit, it is certainly there.

I have a Notts County friend who enjoyed those few minutes almost as much as we did.

A lot more than the 'W' was engraved, but the engraver was so excitedly blowing bubbles that he/she omitted 'United'. :grin:

5221659891_28cb92f79c_z.jpg

Picture courtesy of the OAFC book One Hundred Years One Hundred Images One Ground.

The trophy was re-engraved in the BP Trophy Centre in time for Roger Palmer's Testimonial.

A lot more than the 'W' was engraved, but the engraver was so excitedly blowing bubbles that he/she omitted 'United'. :grin:

Picture courtesy of the OAFC book One Hundred Years One Hundred Images One Ground.

The trophy was re-engraved in the BP Trophy Centre in time for Roger Palmer's Testimonial.

Hold on, that's no where near the trophy I've seen. The one I've seen is the trophy with all the names of the winners on since the trophy began. On that the W is changed into an O, and then the rest continues with ldham.

first time I knew about Latics, I was only 4 years old my brother comes into the living room and says "what Latics game do you want to watch?" (because we happened to tape a few games from the "pinch me season") and I thought the name West Ham was funny. 2 years later when I went to my first match I thought the fans ran on the pitch after every game

Hold on, that's no where near the trophy I've seen. The one I've seen is the trophy with all the names of the winners on since the trophy began. On that the W is changed into an O, and then the rest continues with ldham.

This is a random guess but with pool and snooker trophies my team and I have won in the past, in some leagues you get the official one to keep for 12mths and you get a trophy to keep for good. Could this be causing the confusion?

Was just about to post the same Diego!!!

It's simple really. There were two trophies, the Football League's 2nd Division Championship Trophy and the sponsor's Barclays Eagle Trophy. The engraver must have only got as far as the 'W' on the second trophy when the bad news came through from BP. :grin:

These pictures and captions explain all.

5222772869_f719719ac8_z.jpg

Page courtesy of the Stewart W. Beckett book 'Keeping The Dream Alive'.