Gregan accepts he's had his chips at Latics

In tonight's rarely-wrong Chron the big man has ruled out a playing return with Latics in the New Year:

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-fea...-is-over-gregan

To have played every minute of every game last season and won every eligible award is the best way to end his BP playing career.

Thanks for everything you've done for us Sean and good luck for the future.

In tonight's rarely-wrong Chron the big man has ruled out a playing return with Latics in the New Year:

To have played every minute of every game last season and won every eligible award is the best way to end his BP playing career.

Ditto, thanks for everything big guy - highlights definitely keeping gob :censored:e Beckford in your pocket for three successive seasons...Thanks for stepping up to the plate last season when everyone around you and us were giving up. Staying in this league has given us the platform to have a much better year this season.

Ditto, thanks for everything big guy - highlights definitely keeping gob :censored:e Beckford in your pocket for three successive seasons...Thanks for stepping up to the plate last season when everyone around you and us were giving up. Staying in this league has given us the platform to have a much better year this season.

Top player for the club - cheers Sean!

He was alright, but he wasn't exactly Paul Mardon was he?!

Seems to have finished off on a sulky rant though

2 years? He was fine like 8 months ago.

I wouldn't treat a dog the way the club has treated Gregan.

Funny you should mention a dog, as I thought he was whining like one before and after he left.

He could have gone with dignity, but chose to bitch and moan.

Is it a conincidence the spirit and playing for each other has improved so much with a change in Captain?

That said, I do recognise the contribution as a defender he made.

EDIT I weanted to add this bit, as I thought it better summed thintgs up.

I think it common consent we would be in League 2 by now were it not for Greegs.

Had that been the case, we would not have attracted Paul Dickov and been in a bit of state.

So lots to thank Gregan for, but time to move on.

Edited by singe

Why shouldnt he speak out? If you read between the lines it looks like hes been lied to by the management and doesnt deserve that. Maybe some of the other players have been also.

I dont think, with his experience in football and the way over these years that he would do so unless he was extremely peed off

good player but I dont like this, paul dickov did tell him he didnt feature in his plans, the reason he kept him for a while longer was for him to prove him wrong, he doesnt fit in with how dickov is playing the team.

he will go down as a latics legend for his contributions, but this does really sound like sour grapes to me, remember when he left us only to come back when realising there wasnt more anyone else could offer him?

the club has been honest with him and didnt like the decision!

I don't believe that PD, or anyone else for that matter, did the dirty on Greegs. Yes, he was awesome last season, but he started off this season with an injury that took a long time to heal. With a 36 year old, unfit Gregan, Dickov had to look at other options.

He said from the start that he wanted young, hungry players and Greegs, whilst he has an appetite for various commodities, it wasn't the hunger that PD was looking for. Nor was he seeing a CB with the turning circle of the Torrey Canyon fitting the criteria either.

Don't get me wrong; it's always sad to see such a club stalwart leave, but he was given the chance to stay to get fit and earn his place in the side on ability, not sentiment. The harsh reality is that he didn't make it. I just don't think he would have coped in League 1 this season; any pacy striker would leave him for dead now.

So, thanks for what you've done for us Greegs. God knows where we would have been without you; League 2 I imagine. But things move on and we have that young hungry team now and Sean doesn't fit that bill anymore. Sad, but a fact of football life.

Good luck, big fella. We'll always remember you.

Sean's certainly enjoying it at fleetwood as he stated in tonights chron;

:lol:

:grin:

Well spotted!

MAybe what makes it so good is Breakfast is at 10.00 and Lunch at 12.00

I believe Sean is 12 breakfast and 13 lucnhes ahead and 24 trips to the bog behind!

Although I seem to recall we spent a fortune providing meals, wasn't £30k mentioned?

Maybe that bill has gone down a fair amount since Sean left, it's £20k now!!

Always makes me laugh when people say time has caught up with someone. 6 or so months ago he was effing class for us!

Am sure people on this board said his time was up before/when DP re-signed him.. Then turns out to have one of his best seasons with us :blink:

All the 'get turned by any fast striker' is complete bollocks because his footballing brain is a better asset to him than pace. Would like to see him back in defence, him and mvoto would be one intimidating defence :grin:

Always makes me laugh when people say time has caught up with someone. 6 or so months ago he was effing class for us!

Yes, he was. But at his age 6 months can really make a difference to how effective you are. If that wasn't the case, footballers would sustain the same level of performance until they died :unsure: