Southampton tonight

sometimes you simply have to hold your hands up and accept it when you get ripped a new one. Perhaps if we'd been right in their faces from the off we might have competed. Instead we opted to ball watch and slip on our arses a lot and not touch the ball before they scored the first. From then on despite a bit of huff and puffing we were outclassed all over the field and tbh given their budget so they should. Still a reet tonking though and this is Dicky's first real test now - sometimes you can be too attacking and I think we'd benefit from bringing Lewi (when fit) and Jones back into the left and right midfield spots just to enable us to tighten up. The strikers need a shake up too, Tonk has been poor imo since the break so let's shake it up a bit just to try and get that impetus back.

I'm a bit worried now, young players' confidence is fragile they'll need picking up and quick because a tonking like tonight could be season changing BUT Southampton are a one-off at this level and a team of giants and you only have to look at their bench.

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes you simply have to hold your hands up and accept it when you get ripped a new one. Perhaps if we'd been right in their faces from the off we might have competed. Instead we opted to ball watch and slip on our arses a lot and not touch the ball before they scored the first. From then on despite a bit of huff and puffing we were outclassed all over the field and tbh given their budget so they should. Still a reet tonking though and this is Dicky's first real test now - sometimes you can be too attacking and I think we'd benefit from bringing Lewi (when fit) and Jones back into the left and right midfield spots just to enable us to tighten up. The strikers need a shake up too, Tonk has been poor imo since the break so let's shake it up a bit just to try and get that impetus back.

I'm a bit worried now, young players' confidence is fragile they'll need picking up and quick because a tonking like tonight could be season changing BUT Southampton are a one-off at this level and a team of giants and you only have to look at their bench.

Was it a case of us being appalling or Saints just too good?

was going to post something similar, echo your comments completly. bigger stronger and class outfit 2nite, reminded me of when a grant holt led Norwich came here, only beat us one nil but were in control in all areas, same story here 2nite, they came out firing got the goal and there was no way back. looking at their personel and budget we were always going to be against the cosh but 6 nil wont do the confidence any good for a small young squad such as ours. Will be very suprised if Soton dont win the league just hope we bounce back from this

Was it a case of us being appalling or Saints just too good?

As I say, we paid them too much respect in the opening exchanges - they went for the throat -we simply stood off and ball watched. The first goal as early as it was had been coming for some time as we had hardly touched the ball. Southampton were just too good BUT our timid opening paved the way for such a dominant performance from the opposition imo.

Edited by oafcprozac

was going to post something similar, echo your comments completly. bigger stronger and class outfit 2nite, reminded me of when a grant holt led Norwich came here, only beat us one nil but were in control in all areas, same story here 2nite, they came out firing got the goal and there was no way back. looking at their personel and budget we were always going to be against the cosh but 6 nil wont do the confidence any good for a small young squad such as ours. Will be very suprised if Soton dont win the league just hope we bounce back from this

Would it have been a different game if Tonks had burried hid header or would it have been 7.1?

I can take a defeat when, I can see the players giving 100%, where has all the runnig about gone we seem to be just waiting for teams to give the ball to us and not go to win it, Im just now waitng for the club to come out and say support is needed but when crap like that is served up people wont come to boundary park it hard enough to get people in when we are winn :disappointed:

Would it have been a different game if Tonks had burried hid header or would it have been 7.1?

I said to my son shortly before that "We need to take our chance when it comes", sadly we missed it and I knew we'd get dicked! It really was a terrible miss and would have been a terrific time to score as for all their dominance they would have been only a goal up and surely we would have come out and had a right good go. Story of our season though, we miss too many chances….

I said to my son shortly before that "We need to take our chance when it comes", sadly we missed it and I knew we'd get dicked! It really was a terrible miss and would have been a terrific time to score as for all their dominance they would have been only a goal up and surely we would have come out and had a right good go. Story of our season though, we miss too many chances….

Yep I agree, his finishing is quite terrible. He really should have put it away.

They were good but i just did not see the effort from our boys as we have seen in other games this season which was dissapointing

We started on the backfoot and got progressively worse - surely after conceding 12 goals in 3 games losing 3 out of 4 and winning only 1 in 6 the manager has to shake things up both in midfield and attack and we defo need a new LB young Blacky was ripped a new arsehole tonight and has been shaky for weeks?

Edited by oafcprozac

I think we'll react positively to this on Sat (well, I hope at least!) I have no doubt that Dickov will be on top them for the rest of the week and we'll come out firing. Swindon was a vital win for us because bouncing back from Rochdale was more difficult than this will be.

We'll move on, still only 2 pts off the playoffs and plenty to play for in the near future.

OWTB

The effort was lacking which is not normal as they all usually bust a gut< dont want to pick anyone out aqs they was all poor but stephens in the last 2 games seems to pull out of challenges and looks lost when the ball comes to him, Tayls needs to park back on the wing he just is not a striker and Black is getting torn apart at left back not wanting to slag but feel ab gutted tonight just cant beleive it!!

Southampton were class and we were very poor tonight. The full backs were torn to shreds!

Hope we learn from southamptons movement and picking the right pass. I don't think their centre backs missed a ball all night.

Our forward line is giving me cause for concern....tounkare is way off the pace at present and you struggle to see where a goal is coming from.

As for the defence...i think they'll still be dizzy for another hour or so yet!

A night to forget.

Southampton are a Championship team so we shouldn't be too disheartened after tonight. They're light years ahead of us in respect of financial resource, wage budgets, facilities and infrastructure. Despite their relegation, they could well hold their own in the Championship comfortably.

We do have a young team but the older heads and PD/GT will keep them focused and it will be a different story come Saturday against Plymouth. Granted that they're similar in respect of Championship-level resources but their playing staff aren't the same as Southampton.

Had we suffered the same against the likes of Swindon, Tranmere or those who've been at our level for years then I would worry.

Tonight was a blip and we have a multitude of positives this season and a lot of potential to last the pac and finish in a P/O position. Brighton and Southampton will head the pack but we'll be in the mix come May.

We started on the backfoot and got progressively worse - surely after conceding 12 goals in 3 games losing 3 out of 4 and only 1 in 6 the manager has to shake things up both in midfield and attack and we defo need a new LB young Blacky was ripped a new arsehole tonight and has been shaky for weeks?

We did start on the backfoot, gave them far to much respect, I agree the midfield needs shaking up but who do we put in there? I think stephens needs a rest was poor again tonigh in my opinion, and im not sure who we can put up front who is going to get the goals we need

I said in the chat that it was generally agreed after the game down there that they were just better at playing football than us - sounds like they still are. Hope PD takes them for a couple of beers and tells them to come in frsh the next day

I agree with that, take em for curry and a pint.

Didnt Brian Talbot take the team for a pint after we lost away at Torquay, im pretty sure he did.

They were bigger, stronger and faster. First to everything, even when we had the ball, they either just shrugged us off it, or waited for us to panic and give it away. Which we did. Often.

It was like a dads vs lads game. Hulking big blokes against wee little timid boys. Never seen such a gulf.

Totally embarrassed. Totally pissed off. What a day to quit smoking!!!!