Scunthorpe bid for Chris Taylor

Id be happy to let him go for £250k, although he as looked good the past few games i think over the past 18 months he as been average and is not going to improve anymore at latics. Although i think £250k is a little low (id value him at £300-350k) we need the money. We have got enough cover on the wing and as a striker i dont think he offers that much. We could use around half the money on signing morais and a replacement striker. I think we could hoskins or donaldson from crewe for around 100k.

Edited by stevesmitt

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since he played against Forest, Taylor has been our most consistent player. Never quite understood why a couple of oddballs on here don't rate him. He loves latics and must run more miles than anyone else on a football pitch. The thought of selling our best player for a meagre £250K is a depressing thought; I'm sure that he wouldn't want to move there anyway.

Id be happy to let him go for £250k, although he as looked good the past few games i think over the past 18 months he as been average and is not going to improve anymore at latics. Although i think £250k is a little low (id value him at £300-350k) we need the money. We have got enough cover on the wing and as a striker i dont think he offers that much. We could use around half the money on signing morais and a replacement striker. I think we could hoskins or donaldson from crewe for around 100k.

Do you seriously think any potential money will be set aside for team improvement/replacements? Can't see it myself. A loanee possibly but nothing else.

I used to be a bit of a Taylor detractor, but in the 2008/2009 he made be a believer.

I've read several opposition fans this season who've commented that Taylor has been the best player on the pitch when we've played them. I trust Dickov to be able to keep Taylor's head up and keep him playing well. Shez for whatever reason couldn't keep Taylor's form going. Penney couldn't even get him started but I think Paulie's the right sort of character to maintain getting Taylor's best out of him and if he does, his valuation will only increase.

Very rarely have we received a fee where i've thought '' wow, we've done well there '' more usually '' how much???..pfftt!! ''

Whats Neal Trotman doing these days?

Whats Scott Spencer upto?

Danny Philiskirk?

Their is £1million of talent we sold on their what have they go on to achieve since they left us?

Since he played against Forest, Taylor has been our most consistent player. Never quite understood why a couple of oddballs on here don't rate him. He loves latics and must run more miles than anyone else on a football pitch. The thought of selling our best player for a meagre £250K is a depressing thought; I'm sure that he wouldn't want to move there anyway.

Top post

Un proven ? He is 18 years old and tearing defences apart, scoring goals and creating chances.

he is twice the player taylor was at that age.

excactly 18 years old...

10 million. come on. and ppl saying take 250k for taylor.

got to disagree there definately not our most consistent player this season

Un proven ? He is 18 years old and tearing defences apart, scoring goals and creating chances.

he is twice the player taylor was at that age.

Disagree, Taylor was just as good in '06-07, he'd only made his debut a few months earlier - playing mainly at Wing-Back under Moore before Shez played him as an out and out winger. Taylor was unplayable forcing teams to double and even triple mark him at times. Ok his form tailed off towards the end of that year, but then he suddenly began scoring goals too.

£10m for Chamberlain is ridiculous he's not proven no matter what you say, he's a kid doing very well in Division Three and despite what the press and Southampton say he will go for nothing like that. A couple of million with add ons at the most. The deal may well be worth up to that but upfront Southampton haven't a prayer of getting that much.

As for Taylor, last season apart he has been our most influential attacking player for the last 4 years and is proven at League One level, he can play on either wing, has played at full-back and can play anywhere in an attacking sense. 200 plus appearances and around 30 goals and still only 24 at this level suggest £250k is a derisory offer but my worry is that the club is one by the same idiots that let Eardley leave for a fraction of his value. One saving grace may be Taylor has 18 months of his deal to run...

Edited by oafcprozac

But an unproven Alex chamberlain is worth ten million?? ummm

What a daft comparison, one is OPENLY wanted by Arsenal, Manure and Spurs, the other is potentially wanted by Scunthorpe!!!!

I would tell Scunny they can have the ginger midfielder for 250k and sent them Worthington after the funds have hit :grin:

Chris Taylor lives and breathes Oldham - I would hate to see him leave, for any money, but £250k is an insult.

I'm not sure why our fans feel the need to constantly get on his back. I think he'd be the first to admit he had a poor season last year but didn't they all? Dean Furman was useless last season too but I don't hear our fans complaining about him now. Taylor has been getting better and better this season and we'd be foolish to let him go when we have a realistic chance of making the playoffs.

If we do nothing this year then we can re-assess at close season but until then at least, CT should remain a Latics player.

It doesn't change the fact Alex Chamberlain is not 40 times the player Chris Taylor is.

That has nothing to do with anything!

Any saleable asset is only worth what someone is willing to pay and thats how a value is decided!

It is well documented (especially since Wenger has openly put his intentions out publicly) that Chamberlain could go for £10m.

Unfortunately as its the likes of Scunny or whoever else has been documented as wanting Taylor in the past, we probably aint going to get an awful lot more than £250k for him.

Maximum £500k I reckon, although I dont want him to leave.

I wouldn't that thought so either, well, not Scunthorpe. Sheff Utd, Preston, Middlesborough or even Palace, maybe, 'cause even though they're in bad league positions at the moment, they're still pretty big clubs and could offer him much better wages and long term prospects. But Scunthorpe are always going to be yoyo-ing up and down. There not really a a bigger club than us and they're on the down whilst we seem to be making progress. So yeah, I agree, I doubt it's somewhere Chris would be demanding to move to.

Scunthorpe won't be yo-yoing. If they come down they will stay down and possibly struggle the only thing that was keeping them up was Adkins and now he's gone.