Why can't they hold on to a lead ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depressing stat for you. We've dropped 22 points from winning positions this season.

We'd be 16 points clear at the top had we held on to each of those leads.

it is disappointing but…

Charlton D1-1 (0-1)

Brizzle D1-1 (0-1)

Bournemouth W2-1 (0-1)

Brentford W3-1 (0-1)

Plymouth W4-2 (1-2)

BUT since the Exeter game

Exeter D3-3 (3-0)

Dale D1-1 (1-0)

Hartlepool L2-4 (1-0)

Walsall D1-1 (1-0)

Carlisle D2-2 (2-0)

that's 11 points dropped in the last 10 games. It's becoming a problem that's repeating itself week after week. We need to address it or it may cost us everything we're working towards. Tuesday will be a hard game. Todd if he's up to to it will get the nod. Not bothered at who's expanse...

Don't think its stamina, we just get to confident during the day, oppo gets one, then we panic, and then oppo continues to score..

Furman appears to me to run out of steam after about an hour, (which wouldn't be surprising with the amount of work he puts in), with no like for like substitute in the squad is too much being asked of him ?

For goodness sake we are 5th. I know its frustrating but we have put in another good performance.

I think it’s OK to be slightly peeved for a while after the way today’s game went – no one’s asking for anyone to be shot.

We all want the club to do as well as possible and, as you say, it's frustrating – frustrating that we seem to miss the occasional massive opportunity to take us that step closer.

In a few beers time, “reality” will kick in and we’ll all see that this was, in fact, a pretty decent point.

For goodness sake we are 5th. I know its frustrating but we have put in another good performance.

I am told that the foul for the pen was outside the box.

Barry

I don't think people are really having a go at the team Bary, just frustrated we failed to hold on to 3 pts that the performance deserved as I'm sure PD and the players are as well.

To be honest from what I heard I don't think we panicked today, we didn't give the opposition many chances and we carried on playing good football, just one of those things. Silly from Black to be putting challenges in regardless of whether it was outside the box or just inside with only a minute remaining though.

5th is great. Should we be delighted that we've improved massively since last season, or disappointed that we could be in an even better position? Points have definitely been dropped on two or three occasions, and usually after tactical substitutions have been made.

I'd be a lot happier with our position if I wasn't aware of how many good leads had been lost in the dying minutes.

If we make the play offs it will be a huge achievement, but it would all be wasted if we went on to throw it away at the death in a play off final. Lessons need to be learned from games like todays - bad referring decisions or not.

5th is great. Should we be delighted that we've improved massively since last season, or disappointed that we could be in an even better position? Points have definitely been dropped on two or three occasions, and usually after tactical substitutions have been made.

I'd be a lot happier with our position if I wasn't aware of how many good leads had been lost in the dying minutes.

If we make the play offs it will be a huge achievement, but it would all be wasted if we went on to throw it away at the death in a play off final. Lessons need to be learned from games like todays - bad referring decisions or not.

I wouldn't say todays tactical change caused us to drop 2 pts. From the commentary it seemed to make us more solid.

Chuffed with 5th and beyond my wildest pre-season dreams - however, daylight would be nice... :wink:

Furman appears to me to run out of steam after about an hour, (which wouldn't be surprising with the amount of work he puts in), with no like for like substitute in the squad is too much being asked of him ?

Whether to much is being asked of him or its a natural part of his game to cover every blade of grass, the next few games our centre mids need a slight change. Before anyone slates me, not criticising the midfield, just feel that it'll be better to rotate who plays in CM for next few games, mainly as Furman & Stephens have been starting every game their available for, and both give alot of effort especially Furman, so they might benefit physically from a slight rotation for a few games with Jones partnering each of them for a game or two, so both will be in better shape going into the latter stages of the season..

Was at a family birthday do so was checking on my phone the score regularly. Such a shame that we couldn't hold on to get a brilliant and confidence soaring 3 points. It does happen though, and these things always even themselves out.

However, let's look positively. Two home games coming up against pretty standard league one opposition. Our unbeaten run continues some more which has boosted us into the play-off positions as we now enter the business end of the season. We're an exciting, young team which has the aura about them that we have a goal threat across the park. Only once since the middle of October have we failed to hit the back of the net.

Does anyone find it slightly odd though, that we're dropping points at places that Penney (Oops, 1-6 today was it?) had us picking more points up? (Brighton, Carlisle, Southampton etc.)

Was at a family birthday do so was checking on my phone the score regularly. Such a shame that we couldn't hold on to get a brilliant and confidence soaring 3 points. It does happen though, and these things always even themselves out.

However, let's look positively. Two home games coming up against pretty standard league one opposition. Our unbeaten run continues some more which has boosted us into the play-off positions as we now enter the business end of the season. We're an exciting, young team which has the aura about them that we have a goal threat across the park. Only once since the middle of October have we failed to hit the back of the net.

Does anyone find it slightly odd though, that we're dropping points at places that Penney (Oops, 1-6 today was it?) had us picking more points up? (Brighton, Carlisle, Southampton etc.)

Not when you consider all 3 of them are much better sides this year.

Dean Furman, tweeting from the bus on the journey home:

#Sick feeling!!2many points dropped from great positions. Apparently pen outside box aswell makes it even worse!!!!!! Not a happy bus home.

The players feel it just as much as we do and hopefully will put it right.

:censored: happens Deano, bring on the two home games...

I am told that the foul for the pen was outside the box.

Barry

Barry,

Don't come on and antagonise the natives, you're only allowed to comment on good news events :grin:

24 hours is a long time in football terms :wink:

I'd have taken 5th now from any time over the last 18 months. Yes we conceed goals when in front and this has dropped us points, but we have also gained quite a few points from behind this season. Maybe its one of those things, its not it hasn't happend to the team from Trafford this season more than once.

Today's starting XI had 1051 league appearances between them, a fair proportion of which will have come this season. Chris Taylor is our second most expericenced starting player. Yet anyone who saw him today will know he was at times very petulant- I think he perhaps should have had a penalty. We are missing experienced players, Penney signed a lot with the right level of experience (aged 26-30), but Dickov doesn't think they are good enough and so they have either already left or on loan. Experience at this level is either expensive, or beginning to show serious signs of ageing, if this time next season (if we are still going) we have the same sort of problems then I'd be worried, until then its just a downside of having a young team with the ability to get us in front.

Or putting it another way, Yes we have dropped points from being in front (22 I think someone worked out) but last season in how many games did we not score- I think it might be 22.

Edited by rudemedic

Those of sensible people.

Next thing you'll be telling me you don't win anything with kids :wink: The fact is we are 5th after 25 games on merit. Stands to reason we could be there, better, or worse at the end of the season. The trouble with most latics fans is they overly cautious! We'll be better than 10th place.

yes very frustrating that the team does the hard work by getting 2 goals up and then out of nothing the oppo grabs a point/win

BUT -

Plymouth - W

Brentford - W

Walsall - D

Carlisle - D

Hartlepool - W?

Dag and Red - W?

This would give us 14pts from a possible 18 over the 6 game period - yes it potentially should and could be more, but it aint with respect to points dropped.

14 out of 18, should tues and sat go to plan is promotion form.

If youd've said

Plymouth D

Brentford W

Walsall W

Carlisle W

Hartlepool D

Dag and Red W

- you would have took it in respect to the teams and their form, it is how it has transpired that is the annoying point for us all

I predicted 14 out of 18 from this 6 game spell, i think i will be right come next saturday evening

Edited by shefflatic