CARLISLE- THE REAL TEST OF SUPPORT

Many debates have occurred on this and many sites about the real reason why gates have dropped at Boundary Park.

Given the £2 entry charge for the Carlisle game, it will be interesting to see if the claim that admission charges keep the gates low is indeed correct.

Last week I discussed the issues with a gang of Latics fans who lay claim to being true supporters of the club. Most had not visited this season stating that the money they had in their pockets could keep them boozing for most of the afternoon.

Given the excellent venture driven by Martin Thomas it will be interesting to see if this will get them away from the bar.

I look on with interest.

Barry

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a true test this one Barry. It's a Tuesday night and the die hards who travel 100 miles plus round trips that make Saturday's can't make Tuesday's due to time and not money. I feel it may get another 250 from Carlisle and hopefully get another 1500-2000 from around town. Said earlier tremendous effort from Martin.

Couldn't you just shut up? This is indeed a great initiative, if you have to say anything (probabbly better not to, but hey ho) then just try and be positive about it, rather than getting on your high horse, again, about how people generally choose to spend their limited disposable income.

Couldn't you just shut up? This is indeed a great initiative, if you have to say anything (probabbly better not to, but hey ho) then just try and be positive about it, rather than getting on your high horse, again, about how people generally choose to spend their limited disposable income.

Don't be so rude Leeslover. Can't you see the simplicity of my point. Nothing sinister. Get off your box for goodness sake. Talk about making trouble out of nothing.

Barry

Don't be so rude Leeslover. Can't you see the simplicity of my point. Nothing sinister. Get off your box for goodness sake. Talk about making trouble out of nothing.

Barry

I see you lecturing - it hasn't helped before, it won't help now. You come across as if you are looking forward to catching people in the pub and giving them a stern talking to, grown adults don't often take kindly to that attitude. It's a good thing that the businesses and the club are doing, leave it be.

You have this sad ability to read something into something that is'nt there. Just see the positives . The people I was talking to happen to be friends of mine who had been put off through the Penny days. No lecturing, no judging just a staight forward view to see if the admission may tempt them. See the positives in things Leeslover. You constantly look for trouble with selected people with your misguided thuoghts.

Barry

You have this sad ability to read something into something that is'nt there. Just see the positives . The people I was talking to happen to be friends of mine who had been put off through the Penny days. No lecturing, no judging just a staight forward view to see if the admission may tempt them. See the positives in things Leeslover. You constantly look for trouble with selected people with your misguided thuoghts.

Barry

Well, I hope they come back. Clearly people form and lose habits so it isn't just as simple as a straightforward economic decision on any particular match. I think all fans can help by recognising this and welcoming people whenever they come, and reaching out positively to those who aren't back yet.

Not a true test this one Barry. It's a Tuesday night and the die hards who travel 100 miles plus round trips that make Saturday's can't make Tuesday's due to time and not money. I feel it may get another 250 from Carlisle and hopefully get another 1500-2000 from around town. Said earlier tremendous effort from Martin.

The fact it's midweek will have an effect I agree. I wonder how many extra we got through the Sun promotion on Saturday? And it runs for the Posh game too doesn't it?

Edited by oafcprozac

I know I can always count on your support Harry.

Barry

you can sometimes but you seem to have rediscovered your particular brand of diplomacy with this thread

saying these lads "lay claim" to being Latics fans and that admission prices being a problem is also a "claim"

you seem to be having a pop at people for not coming before they've not actually come

Cost is one of many reasons cited for why people no longer go to Boundary Park, alongside the demolition of the Lookers, the length of time in the division, last season's football, the 'matchday experience' (whatever that is) etc. Nothing can be done about any of those other reasons before Tuesday, so it will be interesting to see how lowering the cost of entry affects the attendance.

As Lags says, it won't make as much difference as if it were a Saturday but it will be good to compare it with the Hartlepool attendance.

Barry has mentioned no names, he as simply stated a fact, he is outspoken he gets slated, he dosnt talk n fans moan for input,,,,,thankless task me thinks, my fact is the club are tryning their cocks off to get fans n support in, and ppl (again no names mentioned) are stating, telly, weather, cant be arsed etc.......ffs try supporting the club thru thick n thin in its hour of need, not wen it feckin suits you!! £2 not a lot to ask is it, i pa £20 a game and am willing to do so again, if their are 9 ppl who are humming and ahhing, let me know n i'll pay your feckin admission!!

Barry has mentioned no names, he as simply stated a fact, he is outspoken he gets slated, he dosnt talk n fans moan for input,,,,,thankless task me thinks, my fact is the club are tryning their cocks off to get fans n support in, and ppl (again no names mentioned) are stating, telly, weather, cant be arsed etc.......ffs try supporting the club thru thick n thin in its hour of need, not wen it feckin suits you!! £2 not a lot to ask is it, i pa £20 a game and am willing to do so again, if their are 9 ppl who are humming and ahhing, let me know n i'll pay your feckin admission!!

You aren't going to get people to go if you shout and ball at them. You're more likely to put them off.

For everyone try and be welcoming and encourage people back, don't dictate to them.

Dazzler, like I previously said, you arent gonna be able to bully people into going (not you personally). If people don't want to go, they won't go. Not everyone is as passionate about Latics as others, people need to accept that.

Just hope they put on a performance, to get the floaters back, i'm trying to bring 3 of my nephews to the game, they're asian, so there parents are worried about them attending a football match, although i've reassured the parents, they have an image it's full of hooligans.

Dazzler, like I previously said, you arent gonna be able to bully people into going (not you personally). If people don't want to go, they won't go. Not everyone is as passionate about Latics as others, people need to accept that.

i like to think its encouraging ppl not bullying, gettin em by the scruff o the neck n marchin em down their is bullyin where im from...i merely think he is callin ppls bluff....they/you/me want the club to be deemed as makin n effort......so lets prove it. if hes spoke to fans n they ave said they wont pay 20 brick.....then all he is saying is look wat we ave done, now its your turn to prove it, money where your mouth is chaps......we ave supported some :censored:e in the past, n right now its smile time, ppl need to stop bein so sensitive, i wouldnt mind Barrys job, id be feckin scrappin every week,

Just hope they put on a performance, to get the floaters back, i'm trying to bring 3 of my nephews to the game, they're asian, so there parents are worried about them attending a football match, although i've reassured the parents, they have an image it's full of hooligans.

Celebration Sunday aside, has this ever happened? :lol:

if only we'd done this against Hartelpool

i like to think its encouraging ppl not bullying, gettin em by the scruff o the neck n marchin em down their is bullyin where im from...i merely think he is callin ppls bluff....they/you/me want the club to be deemed as makin n effort......so lets prove it. if hes spoke to fans n they ave said they wont pay 20 brick.....then all he is saying is look wat we ave done, now its your turn to prove it, money where your mouth is chaps......we ave supported some :censored:e in the past, n right now its smile time, ppl need to stop bein so sensitive, i wouldnt mind Barrys job, id be feckin scrappin every week,

It's not encouraging though.

All you need to say is it's £2 for the Carlisle game, what a great offer that is, why don't you come down and watch the game for a bargain.

None of this now it's your turn to prove yourselves. Counter productive.

It's not encouraging though.

All you need to say is it's £2 for the Carlisle game, what a great offer that is, why don't you come down and watch the game for a bargain.

None of this now it's your turn to prove yourselves. Counter productive.

I read it and felt guilty. I have a season ticket ffs!

Many debates have occurred on this and many sites about the real reason why gates have dropped at Boundary Park.

Given the £2 entry charge for the Carlisle game, it will be interesting to see if the claim that admission charges keep the gates low is indeed correct.

Last week I discussed the issues with a gang of Latics fans who lay claim to being true supporters of the club. Most had not visited this season stating that the money they had in their pockets could keep them boozing for most of the afternoon.

Given the excellent venture driven by Martin Thomas it will be interesting to see if this will get them away from the bar.

I look on with interest.

Barry

Barry, I know you have a thankless task, but I think what people criticising the post are trying to say is it might be better served "translated" like this.

Ironic, though that Oldhamers in general claim to be no nonsense straight talkers yet don't take kindly to straight talk

But I would have done something like this.

CARLISLE- A TEST OF SUPPORT

Many debates have occured on this board about the real reason gates have dropped, and it is heatening to see how much everyone cares. As in most cases, I would think there are a variety of reasons.

One factor regualrly bought up is the cost.

I am delighted that in these hard economic times, a group of local business have chosen to underwrite the cost of the Carlisle game. Their fantastic gesture means the bargain price of £2 per person entry, and a refund for season ticket holders.

I am sure you will join me and the board in support of the great deal.

I'd like to ask the help and support of the members of OWTB in getting the message across and dragging as many people, especially lapsed fans as possible.

Especially those, and I am sure you know some, who can spend a considerable amount of time and money in the pub, lets try and tempt them to see what an entertaining group of players Paul Dickov has assembled. I really hope we can get a few to return regualarly.

Of course, at £2 it will help the Board and the Trust see if the cost is a factor. This will assist us in future marketing efforts.

My thanks for your time, and thanks in advance for helping raising awareness of this great deal.

Edited by singe

OK. 3 of my mates tell me they don't want to go no more cos they feel £20 is too much for the football Latics serve up. Is it a legitimate question for me to ask um tomorrow? of course it is. Now to me it's not the £20 that's put the 3 off, it's the football served up so why make the cost the issue. Of course to some it's a lot of money when they are struggling to make ends meet, and lets be honest Oldham is one poor place but, I'll bet anyone if a glamour game came about they'd find the money. £2 admission and I will be disappointed if we don't hit 6500

I'd love to see Latics hit the prem again and the full houses against the top clubs and people in the queue go on how long they've been Latics fans.