A Statement from OAFC Directors

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Non-League football ground or Regional Athletics Stadium?

its a toughy!

I reckon that's been the plan all along, I mentioned it in November 2009 after watching the ressies there. I had a feeling we'd end up there. I mean who the :censored: is going to go and watch us playing at Eastlands?

If it's going to be a ground share, it must be of the FL standards or won't get safety certificate. I don't think any of the non-league grounds locally are up to scratch or will need extensive renovation, which we have to pay for. As our two nearest league grounds already ground-share - with Hornets at Spotland and FCUM at Gigg Lane, and with Edgeley Park in the hands of Sale Sharks, I can only think of the unlikely scenario at City of Manchester or Old Trafford!

Corney said that if Failsworth ended up being a no-goer he would keep the club at Boundary Park and make the club cut its cloth accordingly. Now that would mean a player salary budget reduced even further, but it would have to be better than moving out of the Borough or ground sharing.

I'm not to sure. Staying at BP means a situation like Stockport are in now. Limbo, no money and destined for the Conference or further (Chester City, Halifax Town). If it was the choice with that, and ground sharing with Curzon or Stalybridge but the costs for upkeeping a decaying old round removed meaning we still kept a side capable of being competitive in this division I'd take the latter. But it'd have to be on those terms only - ground sharing and cutting cloth all over the shop to keep us afloat would see the death knell of the club sooner rather than later.

Like Ed Hunter says, the more I think about it the more it looks to be a lot of sabre rattling from both sides. The Council have tried the "we're not responsible" approach, and the club have aimed a quick and swift broadside to say they are and our intentions are clear if you don't change this stance. It's going to be interesting to see the Council's next move, but it's crystal on what's going to happen should the council not back down.

I reckon that's been the plan all along, I mentioned it in November 2009 after watching the ressies there. I had a feeling we'd end up there. I mean who the :censored: is going to go and watch us playing at Eastlands?

I'd still go and watch for a season, after that i don't know.. Athletics stadium just wouldn't seem right at all in my eyes, i'd rather go to another football stadium anyway

I'm not to sure. Staying at BP means a situation like Stockport are in now. Limbo, no money and destined for the Conference or further (Chester City, Halifax Town). If it was the choice with that, and ground sharing with Curzon or Stalybridge but the costs for upkeeping a decaying old round removed meaning we still kept a side capable of being competitive in this division I'd take the latter. But it'd have to be on those terms only - ground sharing and cutting cloth all over the shop to keep us afloat would see the death knell of the club sooner rather than later.

Like Ed Hunter says, the more I think about it the more it looks to be a lot of sabre rattling from both sides. The Council have tried the "we're not responsible" approach, and the club have aimed a quick and swift broadside to say they are and our intentions are clear if you don't change this stance. It's going to be interesting to see the Council's next move, but it's crystal on what's going to happen should the council not back down.

It's a game of chess, but one we're destined to lose. How much would it cost us in rent to share? Would there be the facilities we need in terms of physio room? Manager's office, boardroom etc.. with two clubs there? I mean facilities at BP are bad but it sounds like we'd be operating out of portacabins or offices away from the club, more rental costs...

Said the same, we were promised we wouldn't be forced to ground share, that we would play at BP until the new ground was ready. So bearing in mind it'd still take longer than 12 months to get it all sorted so even if Failsworth was approved we'd be looking at 2 years minimum, yet again the goalposts have been moved AGAIN and everyone is to blame again but the club. (Whether the land was worth 18 million or 180 million, there was still the scope to develop the BP on a much smaller scale - I mean FFS a viable and workable solution was presented to the club for a new stand, but nooooo all eggs in one basket) I hope this is brinkmanship, but I fear it's not. The council know they have :censored:ed up big-time, but this move of ground-sharing will kill the club without a plan in place. We're struggling to get 4,000 fans in our OWN stadium in OLDHAM. How many daft bastards are going to go and watch us ground-sharing in Rochdale or Ashton?

Our own ground is one thing, new facilities in town or outside may attract more fans.

The solution? Sit down with the council and settle out of court. The council pays for the work to patch BP up and secure the certificates in the Chaddy and Main Stand to at least get us through to the 2014 deadline… anything else and whether Corney and co like it, unless we stay at BP until 2014 we've been short-changed.

I had a vision of what ground-sharing would be like at Stalybridge yesterday and it wasn't pretty imagining it. I think for the best we should allow Corney and Co. to walk away at the end of the season, sell their land AROUND BP, and leave us to take a chance on BP. It won't happen, but neither will fans in great numbers following us to play temporarily to Stalybridge or Rochdale. Anything further afield would be laughable.

I'd welcome our own new ground outside the town, but to rush into a ground share move is wrong. It stinks of yet another cost-cutting ploy

Ground-sharing will kill the club...

+1, BP is a :censored:hole, we all know that, but i don't want to imagine seeing oldham playing league football in a non league ground like the ones in the first rounds of the FA Cup. we need to find a way of playing at BP or a new stadium and avoid groundsharing. like you say, if we groundshare we will be playing L2 or BSP teams very quickly

It doesn't have to be, it now seems the whole point now is that BP HAS to be sold…the most viable solution to everyone in the town and the council is to redevelop BP, it's not impossible but BP is worth more to Corney and co as a piece of real estate…sell BP by all means but give us some hope not this ground sharing bollocks...

Edited by oafcprozac

Have we got mugs written across our heads? I bet Chris Moore is flabbergasted at the way this plan has been executed so covertly, right under our noses. Moore just pulled the rug from under our feet, this has been a slow poisoning for over a number of years.

A few have been saying that, no one would listen. We're now entering end game. BP will be sold, we'll be ground sharing some non-leage :censored:-hole...

It's a game of chess, but one we're destined to lose. How much would it cost us in rent to share? Would there be the facilities we need in terms of physio room? Manager's office, boardroom etc.. with two clubs there? I mean facilities at BP are bad but it sounds like we'd be operating out of portacabins or offices away from the club, more rental costs...

I depends on what's negotiated. I don't believe the regional Athletics place is going to happen - I'd stop going myself if we ended up playing there. This leaves Curzon and Stalybridge, both of which requires more capacity (Gene Kelly stand addition more than likely). Whether or not it's cheaper, I'm not so sure.

Let's just hope it's a bit of chest bumping and OMBC and club come to an agreement soonish.

I depends on what's negotiated. I don't believe the regional Athletics place is going to happen - I'd stop going myself if we ended up playing there. This leaves Curzon and Stalybridge, both of which requires more capacity (Gene Kelly stand addition more than likely). Whether or not it's cheaper, I'm not so sure.

Let's just hope it's a bit of chest bumping and OMBC and club come to an agreement soonish.

What worries me is that if your ground has terracing you're ok to get a licence to use terracing at the place you're sharing if not you won't get it sanctioned. I'm sure i've read that somewhere, so for all their grand plans the board really haven't thought this through - as Rochdale, Stalyvegas and Curzon would all have restricted capacities - the only two Latics size grounds that are all seater locally are Gigg Lane - FCUM and Bury and Edgeley Park, not a hope in hell as Sale are trying to bump County off so where do we go? The only viable all seater is The Regional Athletics Stadium….

the woners need to sell bp to build a new ground....im pretty certain the council would welcome aquiring such a piece of land but hasnt got a pot to piss in....

willy waving i tell thee willy waving....

what we need now is for the trust to come out with a statement,stating that we will still be playing at bp next season and indeed until 2014 as laid out oribinally....

the fans need to know whats going on.....come on barry we need info

the woners need to sell bp to build a new ground....im pretty certain the council would welcome aquiring such a piece of land but hasnt got a pot to piss in....

what we need now is for the trust to come out with a statement,stating that we will still be playing at bp next season and indeed until 2014 as laid out oribinally....

Yep, there's a covenant in place to ensure sport is played at BP until 2014. If we were forcibly moved with no plan in place I would campaign like fook to ensure that agreement was upheld. A delay of 3 years could cost people a lot of money…

If there's a plan in place to move the club forward then fine, I'll go with it but blindly moving like ORLFC did - there's fooks chance i'm going to sit back idly and see ANYTHING built on the football ground if we're scrimping an existence elsewhere with no hope of a new permanent home of our own...

If it is the trust would completely undermine the clubs ability to cut a deal with the council if it was to come out with this.

I hope your right about the willy waving and that their aren't darker forces at work here if we moved to Ashton or Stalybridge it would be an absolute disaster even if it would half my journey time.

This is a common tactic in America where franchises hold local councils to ransom to build them stadiums or they will relocate.

running track round it.

is this just wild guesswork or does someone know something?

All the other options have the restrictions of terracing and other teams sharing already. Curzon or Stalyvegas would need temp stands, this place is all seater and probably wouldn't need much to gain a FL licence and the facilities are ok tbh. BUT I still wouldn't like to see us play here….