• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black made a couple of crucial challenges at times, in a team with Taylor, Morais, Stephens and White do we really need our left back to be a world beater going forward?

It was brilliant to see the lads dig themselves out of a hole by drawing level, the lift in the stands and on the pitch was clear to see. It was also good to see Brill give Amos a gee up just before the second half, as Amos ran into his net Brill was still warming up, he ran over to Amos, gave him one of those man-handshakes and a keep it going kind of thing. For a man to do that to someone who has clearly taken his place was amazing to see. Say what you like about Brill's ability but he is a bigger man than most.

Without sounding like a manager after a 10-0 defeat but taking the positives out of last night:

We scored albeit with a deflection

Then we got an absolute belter of a goal

We fought back from 2 early goals

We passed it around well at times

The team lifted itself

The team battled against a physically much bigger team

Yes we let in 3 soft goals and at times lost our way but I think we turned a corner last night and if we build on the good points of last night we've got a good springboard to push on for the rest of the season.

Amos - Needs to accept his share of the blame for two of the goals, and seriously needs to work on his atrocious kicking - 5

Lee - Very average, with little willingness to overlap - 6

Trotman - Hoofmeister. Panicky and unaware for the biggest part. A couple of decent defensive headers, but nothing like the confident defender that went to Preston - 5

Hazell - Wakey Wakey! You aint a footballer so stop trying to be. Do your job and meet the ball first with a clearance. Occasionally found good space to lift pressure from Trot, but otherwise lacking in Captaincy material. - 6

Black - Frightened kitten. Turned into trouble too often and hoofed his way out. Stood still for the third goal. - 4

White - A couple of decent touches, and half a dozen good tackles doesn't constitute putting a shift in Aidy. Put yourself about a bit more, and find yourself some space. - 5

Stephens - One of the few positives in the game. Overrun by a packed midfield, he still managed to find space and keep the ball on the floor - 8

Jones - Much better in that position. Like Stephens, he tried to keep the ball moving despite the pressure - 7

Morais - Should be an out and out winger - when he roams into the middle we lose a necessary wing outlet and end up trying to force balls through packed defences instead of getting behind them. Clearly our most gifted player IMO, but missing too often last night - 6

Tonk - Offered little. Needs a confidence building shot in the reserves - 4

Taylor - Never looked comfortable when in the middle, and lacked confidence when taking it wide. - 5

Lewi - Had little time to prove himself, but didn't do anything wrong - 6

Reid - Why, Dickov, why? He has a long way to go to prove himself,and in the six or so minutes he was onfield, his only contribution was a silly yellow card for handling the ball when he should have done so much more with it - 4

Dickov - spent 90 minutes yelling "Ref!, Ref!" instead of barking orders to the team. Love his commitment, but he's the coach, and when we're playing poorly he should be offering some semblance of direction. Bored of listening to his constant whinging, and would have been happy to see him sent to the stands after swearing at the ref. Coach your side Paul, and forget the ref. - 4

Taggart - (Ok, he couldn't influence the game from where he was but my point still stands) We have let in 30 goals since January, with a third being from set pieces, and a huge portion conceded at the far post. What exactly is Taggarts role at the club? Not good enough Gerry - 2

Like many goalkeepers these days Amos seems reluctant to take command of the penalty area at set pieces, it may be do with the coaching trend of defenders watching the man rather than attacking the ball.

first few games he was after everything. seems to have been drummed out of him.

Black made a couple of crucial challenges at times,

he's very good at that - last ditch tackles

the problem is they often have to be last ditch on the back of his cock up a few seconds earlier

his positioning is terrible and given any time to think he doesn't seem to know what to do whether that be defending or going forward

Strange how we see things differently.

Certainly is – as another poster has said; football opinions eh?

I happen to think some of your ratings are wide of the mark for this game – usually you tend not to be too far off how i see it, but on this one; IMO some are well wide of the game I watched & the performances I saw.....

Without picking bones out of them all – I’ll just focus on Chris Taylor.

I; and those around me; thought he was excellent in his role last night; good job too as Tonk was none-existent. He provided a threat for both CB’s; he challenged for all the aerial stuff and at the very least made sure they ; the CB’s, never had a free header. He chased down everything all the minutes he was on the pitch; running himself into the ground in the process. I thought his runs into the channels were clever runs – just a shame Trotman was intent on not finding him with a ball all night. He got a standing ovation from me & those around me in the paddock as he walked wearily past us – a poor 4 is very; very harsh IMO.

So downbeat after last night – if we can’t defend; we’re simply not going to win games. Set pieces are a joke now; its gone beyond funny now – how we can have everyone back but still allow free headers is beyond me.

Trotman has been poor since his return, Todd was a disappointment in his showings and Reuben will always be prone to a gaff or 2. How we miss big Jean eh?

He need the set pieces sorting; we need to organise better across the back 5 – and we need a goalscorer................all easier said than done it seems.

what went on at the bottome of the chaddy end towards the end?

was it something to do with JJ warming up there?

yeah, didn't see much cos i was on the other side, but it was basically piss-taking on both sides that got out of hand. People were singing 'Oldham reject' and he responded (as i say, didn't see much but saw him mock-bowing to the crowd). Bit pathetic on both sides but i was surprised the referee didn't have a word with him.

what went on at the bottome of the chaddy end towards the end?

was it something to do with JJ warming up there?

Bit of banter at first from the group of 'singers' at the front of the chaddy, and JJ took it in good spirits, gave a bit back and a bit of a sarcastic clap to the fans...

Then a load of what looked like 14yr olds decided to give it the 'big un' and ran down to the barrier where he was warming up giving him a load of abuse. He took exception to one particular lad and got upset by what was said (i was too far away to hear what it was) and started pushing his way past the stewards towards the crowd. The lad then tries getting onto the pitch and a bit of a chase starts and a steward falls over.

Bit embarrassing really how a bit of banter escalates into that.

yeah, didn't see much cos i was on the other side, but it was basically piss-taking on both sides that got out of hand. People were singing 'Oldham reject' and he responded (as i say, didn't see much but saw him mock-bowing to the crowd). Bit pathetic on both sides but i was surprised the referee didn't have a word with him.

Variety club crew that travel on the official coach and embarrass themselves every week - they were abusing JJ and Jones*

Although as I was walking up to watch the last few minutes stood at the top of the Chaddy End steps, I couldn't resist shouting to JJ = "Oi JJ, you have to be the laziest bastard ever to pull on our shirt…"

Edited by oafcprozac

Wtf do we do in training? We could have 10 central defenders on the pitch and we'd still concede from corners and crosses! Letting Greegs go was a massive mistake this season, he may of been slow, but his footballing brain and loud mouth more than made up for it, those saying he'd of been caught out loads this season, Hazell and Trotman aint much quicker!

Amos - Looked at fault for 1st goal i think it was (through his legs? cant quite remember) and sometimes to slow in getting the ball out, look to throw it out to the wings more when have chance to get it out quickly, had perfect chance to throw it over to Tonk for a break, but insisted on waiting then hoofed to Tonks head, however has been good since when came in - 5

Lee - one of the Better player tonight, White offered him no protection, had to deal with 3/4 of theirs at times, Jones looked to help him out while White jogged back, looked decent when going forward, brilliant sneaking run behind their defence from that brilliant pass by Stephens, very close to going in - 7

Hazell - He does shout sometimes, alot more than Todd, but shouldn't let it bounce - 5

Trotman - Won aerial headers but overall disappointing - 5

Black - When got skinned or been attacking, often jogged back leaving us more exposed, couldnt do much for their 3rd, he was never going to win that header - 5

White - get back and defend, and man up! dont get knocked off it all the time, and dont hide away - 3

Stephens - Quite a few wayward passes but it was same from everyone, his goal and that pass to Lee was sublime, his 2nd half volley on goal all over it but Tonk got in way - 7

Jones - Looked assured in possession, ran around closing down alot, but not as not as Furman, like Stephens few wayward passes but both looked to get it down and pass it about, will get better with more games in CM - 7

Morais - Only wide outlet, got lucky with his goal as it took a deflection, looks to cut inside to much though, you can tell when he's about to - 6

Taylor - After the little incident infront of Chaddy with their defender (did Taylor get kicked?) looked out of it, chased down blind alleys, and when he could of got the ball in second half, he just gave up

Tonk - He'll have a headache, amount of times its punted up towards him and he has defenders smashing into back of his head, looks like he prefers it to his chest, didnt offer to much of a threat, 6

Alice and Reid had little time to make an impact, next game if we stick with the 4-4-1-1 would like to see Alice playing 'in the hole'

Time to ditch working on defending and look to creating and scoring chances, previous seasons when we have throw ins in line with edge of their box, we always had 2 players in the box, now we have 3 out wide looking for the ball (well Tonk's head to flick it on) and no one in the box. Defending set-pieces in numbers isnt working - change it PD (did you notice how much better we defended it in second half when we left some up pitch?)

Current loanees apart from Amos as adding nothing we dont already have, need to look to get a striker in on loan even if only a youngster like Eaves (someone mentioned we could get Harry Bunn? Could also looked at that kid in Liverpool squad, Sterling i think he's called?)

BP1960. I assume that you are talking about Jacobsen. Saw him on several occasions for the ressies and he looked quality, even though not fully fit including against Ferdinand, Anderson and Brown when he scored. Looking at he Acci site, since hes been there, think hes played 14 games, theyve lost only 2, kept clean sheets in the last three and hes scored a couple also. I think that there was more to it that he went. When Dickov came in, he must have been told to get rid of the 6 players to save money and chose him and a few others because they were injured. He was injured in training when he first got here. Played a few games, whilst clearly still injured, had two ops in the summer and then never got a chance. Smells very much to me that Dickov didnt want to lose face and change his mind. Instead he bought in the fourth choice reserve left back from Arsenal and since then has consistently dropped both Evina and Black! Im not going to criticise these players as thats not something I do, but a lot of players that have been bought in appear to have been done so because they appeared to have potential and they were very cheap. Not many of them have any real track record and Feeney has obviously taken most of the budget. These are all Dickovs decisions (maybe some down to Corney)and this team is definitely his. In my opinion some of the players let go, could be very useful right now. Purdey came to us with an excellent reputation, Holdsworth looked good and Smalley could easily been recalled to name but a few. Penney made everything look even worse last season, but these players hardly played under him.Time will tell of course, but I think the present problems have been building up for a long time and big mistakes have been made

Hey roboafc and other negative tossers

Some of you on here are pathetic get behind the players.

It’s really easy to slate players on forums have you been to any of the manager’s sessions and

made your point directly or do you just sit behind the keyboard wringing total tosh were you can hide and make indefensible

comments call yourself true supporters I don’t think so .

It’s really easy to slate players on forums have you been to any of the manager’s sessions and

made your point directly or do you just sit behind the keyboard wringing total tosh were you can hide and make indefensible

So am negative for saying things as i see them? I never once called myself a 'true supporter' but i have been to nearly every single home game for past 10 years or so since i was able to understand and take an interest in football.. Manager's sessions? Presume you mean manager forums like at Tara? Well their have been 2 and i didnt attend the Tara one as i've started revising for my exams.. I get behind the players every time i get into the ground..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

Just in case you hadn't realised what this site is.

Don’t normally get involved with crap like this but does my head in, some people just so full of crap and just like to moan you know who you are you.

We all know the team isn’t doing well that’s obvious but slating players, give constructive criticism and stop knocking players at every opportunity and get life.

Lee - Very average, with little willingness to overlap - 6

I'm not Lee's biggest fan but I don't blame him for holding back. When he did go forward no one filled in and it led to the second goal. And therein lies a lot of our problems in that our midfield four don't defend/trackback well enough. OK Morais scored, has a lot of skill but he concedes possession far too easily and fails to track back too often. White is only a kid but the same applies. Good teams defend from the front, something we consistently fail to do.

BP1960. I assume that you are talking about Jacobsen. Saw him on several occasions for the ressies and he looked quality, even though not fully fit including against Ferdinand, Anderson and Brown when he scored. Looking at he Acci site, since hes been there, think hes played 14 games, theyve lost only 2, kept clean sheets in the last three and hes scored a couple also. I think that there was more to it that he went. When Dickov came in, he must have been told to get rid of the 6 players to save money and chose him and a few others because they were injured. He was injured in training when he first got here. Played a few games, whilst clearly still injured, had two ops in the summer and then never got a chance. Smells very much to me that Dickov didnt want to lose face and change his mind. Instead he bought in the fourth choice reserve left back from Arsenal and since then has consistently dropped both Evina and Black! Im not going to criticise these players as thats not something I do, but a lot of players that have been bought in appear to have been done so because they appeared to have potential and they were very cheap. Not many of them have any real track record and Feeney has obviously taken most of the budget. These are all Dickovs decisions (maybe some down to Corney)and this team is definitely his. In my opinion some of the players let go, could be very useful right now. Purdey came to us with an excellent reputation, Holdsworth looked good and Smalley could easily been recalled to name but a few. Penney made everything look even worse last season, but these players hardly played under him.Time will tell of course, but I think the present problems have been building up for a long time and big mistakes have been made

from what ive seen in the first team, he was a solid defender and even though he'll have been on a decent wage, i think we should have kept him because black and evina only do well when the team do well