Stoneleigh Park, Derker for new ground?

Ah ...Mumps and the town centre bus stations are all a good 15 mins away as well... so unless you change buses!!. Its an ideal location. I bet whoever ripped the Derker Hotel down may live to regret it after all. It may also attract a new lot of fans. Plus i could park at my brothers :o)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A move to *Any Area in the Borough of Oldham*?

No thanks, that's me not going!

Blah Blah Blah etc...

I say we go for what ever ground we can. Bus connections to Derker are ace, 3 buses (83, Derker bus, Waterhead bus) Plenty of Bus stops around Derker, waterhead and Rippy Road.

We should go for whatever we can get.

It's not Derker though.

Frankly says not go to Derker (see what I did there!)

.. and that is good enough for me.

there is no way we would be allowed to build on Stoneleigh park anyway (a nice park it is)

there are still people living on Derker, i think the residents of Vulcan Street, Browning road etc would have something to say about it

the old seddon site and the golf course are not near the bottom of the park jazzer

Eh? Of course they are? I lived on Stoneleigh Street till i was 21 and worked at Seddon Atkinson till i was 24. I walked through the park to get to work, so trust me, thats exactly where it is. The golf course (proposed) is to the right of the path that leads from Whetstone Hill to the bridge at the back of the old axle shop at the very back of the seddon site. To the left are the football fields that lead straight into the park.

Edit...

It depends what u define as the park i suppose. If your taling about the playground and bowling green bit then i suppose its a bit of a distance. I always considered the whole :censored:nshinola all the way down to the bottom football pitches as the park. I expect that was just me willy waving and wanting my park to be bigger than everybody elses!!!!

Anyway, the crux of my point was that, if there was any substance to the rumour, which FrankShank has scotched, then i would expect it would mean the bottom end where the football pitches, stoneleigh primary school, and the proposed golfy thing is.

Edited by BlueJazzer

Eh? Of course they are? I lived on Stoneleigh Street till i was 21 and worked at Seddon Atkinson till i was 24. I walked through the park to get to work, so trust me, thats exactly where it is. The golf course (proposed) is to the right of the path that leads from Whetstone Hill to the bridge at the back of the old axle shop at the very back of the seddon site. To the left are the football fields that lead straight into the park.

Edit...

It depends what u define as the park i suppose. If your taling about the playground and bowling green bit then i suppose its a bit of a distance. I always considered the whole :censored:nshinola all the way down to the bottom football pitches as the park. I expect that was just me willy waving and wanting my park to be bigger than everybody elses!!!!

Anyway, the crux of my point was that, if there was any substance to the rumour, which FrankShank has scotched, then i would expect it would mean the bottom end where the football pitches, stoneleigh primary school, and the proposed golfy thing is.

i meant just the park without the pitches yeh, but to build a stadium you would need the pitches aswell so we are both right :grin:

Considering what the club told us with the failsworth development, about it being the only viable site, you would have to ask regarding any rumoured or suggested sites.

1) Were they considered alongside failsworth?

2) If they weren't viable then, why are they viable now?

3) What will the main objections be to planning permission (ie any big hurdles ala failsworth charitable land debacle)

I used to play football at Stoneleigh Park and IIRC there was one hell of a slope on the pitch. A sloping pitch is part of Latics history, so it's a pity the proposed site is not this one.

Considering other no go areas include Beal Valley and Higginshaw Gas Works, really am struggling where these three sites could be located, unless the plans are drastically watered down.

What pubs are there? Is it on the way to anywhere? I am perturbed now.

there was 2 pubs IIRC, both have been bulldozed, the Alex and the Derker hotel

if you are going to hell, you pass through Derker first

Derker - http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=map+of+stoneleigh+park+oldham&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7TSEH_enGB378GB378&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Stoneleigh+Park,+Vulcan+St,+Oldham+OL1&gl=uk&ei=W8N4TYbjNoKKhQeat8DeBg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQ8gEwAA

only the 81 goes to and from Derker, its a 10 minute to get the nearest 83 and a 15/20 minute walk to get the nearest 82

but lets not let that get in the way of people owning cars . .

It takes me 5 Minuetes to walk to Latics down Sheep foot lane. Won't take much longer from Rippy Road to get to Stoneleigh Park, My sister used to live in a flat round there.