224 members have voted

1. 1. If the worst happens and we are relegated should Paul Dickov be sacked?

• Yes
    • No

Please note I am not calling for him but if we did get relegated, should he be sacked?

Case For

Terrible Run of form

Daft subs

Not able to turn it round

Not able to stop freefall

Case Against

Great start to the season

Champagane football at times

Goal of the season

Outside influences ara a factor.

Rookie manager

He will have learnt a lot

Needs time like any manager should get

Edited by singe

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not calling for him to be sacked; just stirring the :censored: eh?

A disgraceful post.

What a ridiculous post.

I think my view is very clear from the post, but I think it important to see how LAtics fans are feeling.

Most should be worried, but is it enough to see past the current issues.

So you don't think anyone has thought or should think about this?

If I had my wish, it would be 100% No.

Edited by singe

I do not want to see him sacked at all. I want him to be given time to build a team. I have said all year top ten will do me. Despite us losing tonight we are still playing good football compared to 12 months ago ok so we lose and did not play aswell as on Saturday. But still put in a decent performance give him time. World was not built in day.

Why are people defending dickov so much. Ok he's a decent bloke and had a good start but this run is the worst run I've ever known for no goals and no balls in the team. I hope he pulls at least 3 wins out if the hat before the end of the season. If he doesn't he categorically DOES NOT DESERVE a new contract.

Imagine if Penney or Moore went 10 games and only scored 2 and shipped loads ?

:hanged: :hanged:

Dickov talks a good game, but it is becoming increasingly clear he has run out of ideas to turn this round. If we're going into the Yeovil game still shy of 50 points, we really are staring down the barrel. I don't know what the solution is, the players seem to have lost belief and enjoyment. Maybe someone was on to something with the dressing room being affected with the non-playing jokers of Purdie and Holdsworth leaving, seems daft but the body language and morale at the moment is worrying. Off the field issues haven't helped but they're in the same situation as probably two thirds of League One Players. Given that Reid is forever arguing with his team-mates, others wouldn't say boo to a goose and then you've got Jones and Taylor fighting. If I had hair I would be pulling it out. This is the worst run we've had in living memory, I know we lost 10 out of 11 in 85/86 but we scored 11 goals in that run. This run has got beyond the joke, the players have to step up to the plate no more passing the buck, its up to them to create chances, football's a simple game - they're over doing it. LIke many of us have said and the GMR commentators said on numerous occasions, we're great until we get to their box, then clueless…

We lost 10 out of 11 in 2004/05, the turning point? Beckett, we need a goalscorer, if we don't get one we're doomed. We've been in this league for 14 years and pretty much every year one team handily placed at the turn of the year has dropped like a stone and our record since the turn of the year is:-

P20 W4 D5 L11 F19 31 pts 17

Relegation form!

Even if the ludicrous decision to sack Dickov was taken, it would be too late to turn it round with the deadline being tomorrow. I still feel his biggest mistake was going all out attack at the end of October, before then we had been a compact unit, not scoring loads but difficult to beat a continuation of that would have seen us comfortably in mid-table….

Edited by oafcprozac

Well said Prozac,

His substitutions have been so frustrating its frightening . This sticking a defender up front malarky is clueless I hate it ! Its good when you have run out of subs and for the last 2 minutes but to bring a CB on in front of 2 strikers is stupid.

didnt like him dropping Tarky last night , he was my MOM against a Brighton , I mean how many CBs have kept Murray that quiet? The poor lad must be gutted

Also he has had a tendancy to make subs when its to late, he has been to reactive with his subs most games and its cost us.

Not blaming it all on Dickov by any stretch of the imagination. The players need to look at themselves and realise they are all in this together, too many billy big balls in that team,

If we were to let Dickov go, I can see him "doing a Shez" and going on to manage another club and doing a good job. Why should another club benefit from the experience we have given a rookie manager?

I say hold onto him - better the devil you know. His replacement could turn out to be another Penney. Even the best manager would struggle being in charge of Latics at the moment, with all the constraints involved.

We also need a bit of stability - chopping and changing the management and players every year does the club no good at all. How many years did sacking Shez and appointing Penney set the club back?

This said, Dickov needs to learn from his mistakes, something which he doesn't seem to be very good at. He needs to work out his best eleven (in my opinion, the nearest possible to the starting line-up at Tranmere on the first day of the season) and stick with it. Was talking to some relatives who are City fans at the weekend and they said that needless tactical changes have been a City trait for as long as they can remember - maybe it's a bad habit Dickov's picked up while he was there?

If we were to let Dickov go, I can see him "doing a Shez" and going on to manage another club and doing a good job. Why should another club benefit from the experience we have given a rookie manager?

I say hold onto him - better the devil you know. His replacement could turn out to be another Penney. Even the best manager would struggle being in charge of Latics at the moment, with all the constraints involved.

We also need a bit of stability - chopping and changing the management and players every year does the club no good at all. How many years did sacking Shez and appointing Penney set the club back?

This said, Dickov needs to learn from his mistakes, something which he doesn't seem to be very good at. He needs to work out his best eleven (in my opinion, the nearest possible to the starting line-up at Tranmere on the first day of the season) and stick with it. Was talking to some relatives who are City fans at the weekend and they said that needless tactical changes have been a City trait for as long as they can remember - maybe it's a bad habit Dickov's picked up while he was there?

Line-up at Tranmere (I think - as I was in Turkey)

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Jarrett

Black

Jones

Furman

Stephens

Lewi

Tonk

Feeney

swap M'Voto for Jarrett and that imo is still our strongest line-up. Feeney for his detractors is better when he starts (Mongs away apart) coming on as a sub in this team is difficult unless you have the spark of Morais. So come Notts County I hope Dickov can go with that line-up, for Tranmere i'd swap Feeney for Lewi, bringing in Taylor if he's recovered.

Tranmere

Brill

Lee

Hazell

M'Voto

Black

Jones

Stephens

Furman

Taylor

Tonk

Lewi

key to this team is keeping the ball in the final third and people making the runs (Stephens and Furman and possibly Lee) Lewi will hold the ball up and keep possession, Tonk will work the channels and we go back to doing what we did so well in the first third of the season...

It's a fair question, the fact that it's only being questioned at this stage of the awful run shows just how well liked Dickov is by us, as razza said people would've been calling for his head a while ago if it had been another manager on this form.

He shouldn't be sacked though, I'd even go as far as saying keep him in the job if we get relegated. He's the right type of manager for the club as well as showing many promising signs that can be worked on. I doubt we'd find anyone better for what we can afford.

If we were to get relegated he'd have to go In my opinion. He'd have obviously lost the dressing room if a team who were in the Play off frame were relegated come May.

As it happens, I like Dikov. I think we'll stay up and he'll get another crack next year.

Line-up at Tranmere (I think - as I was in Turkey)

Brill

Lee

Hazell

Jarrett

Black

Jones

Furman

Stephens

Lewi

Tonk

Feeney

Tonk came on for Kelly

Latics (4-4-2): Brill; Lee, Hazell, Jarrett, Black; Jones, Stephens, Furman, Alessandra; Feeney, Tounkare (Kelly 84).

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/MatchReport/0,,10337~52646,00.html

I wouldn't sack Dickov.

Brand new to management. Shows promise. Needs 3 seasons.

Just hope we're not Stockport next season!

We could be Stockport -10 mate…..just when you think things can't get any worse, this club proves you wrong time and time again. Oldham Athletic excellence in being :censored:e since 1895….

Latics (4-4-2): Brill; Lee, Hazell, Jarrett, Black; Jones, Stephens, Furman, Alessandra; Feeney, Tounkare (Kelly 84).

Replace JJ with Mvoto and Jones with Taylor, and add Morais, Tarky and White to the subs bench, and you have the best balanced side we've put out all season, with the added bonus of a quick wide player to run at teams for the last 15 minutes.

That side has been messed with too much, and confidence has been shattered, just as it was with Shez in charge. Why do they feel the need to fix what aint broken, in the name of 'strengthening' the side?

If you're just outsdie the play-offs sure trying to improve things is the right thing to do?

It wasn't when JS was boss, and it hasn't been this season though, has it?

I understand the thought behind it, but it always seems to unbalance things.

Quite right Joe. The worst thing about being an Oldham fan is our ability to sack a manager too soon. Looking at what Chesterfield makes me cringe to think we sacked him after what was in effect a bit of handbags at the dogs, 3 or 4 defeats on the bounce and slipping out of the playoffs by a point or two. Moronic decision.

We've had Warnock too, a manager who went on to be promoted numerous times. Different regime, I know but it still pains me that one.

Keep hold of Dickov. His work ethic is top notch, up until Feb we weren't a bad side at all and we're going through what all teams and managers experience; a pretty bad run of games. It will turn around, we're not far off and losing the games by the odd goal.