224 members have voted

1. 1. If the worst happens and we are relegated should Paul Dickov be sacked?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't when JS was boss, and it hasn't been this season though, has it?

I understand the thought behind it, but it always seems to unbalance things.

And I slated Shez for it (although we were safely within the play-off spots when he messed it about).

While I think our weaknesses were clear before Christmas (goalkeeper, left back, goalscoring striker, right side of midfield) and the play-offs were always a big ask, the biggest unhinger was clearly stadium / Corney / late wages.

And I slated Shez for it (although we were safely within the play-off spots when he messed it about).

While I think our weaknesses were clear before Christmas (goalkeeper, left back, goalscoring striker, right side of midfield) and the play-offs were always a big ask, the biggest unhinger was clearly stadium / Corney / late wages.

No doubt about it, they are all highly likely to have been detrimental to players' attitudes and state of mind.

We've had Warnock too, a manager who went on to be promoted numerous times. Different regime, I know but it still pains me that one.

Just in the club's defence on this one - didn't Colin walk because he was told he wasn't going to be given any money to spend on players over the summer?

Ian Stott, I think, was generally quite happy to give managers time. He even gave Sharp more than two years, which was far longer than he should have had!

Looking back over the season, Hartlepool at home aside, our run of great form and performances left us at the end of November. December was a write-off but January at least brought upper mid-table results.

I agree that the loss of Holdsworth and Purdie (and M'Voto for Tonks) may have had an effect on morale. However, there is a turning point in our season that can be clearly identified - Corney's 'we won't be at Boundary Park next season' rant.

Initially, I felt that this wouldn't have had much effect on the performances, after all, the majority of our squad were either loanees or out of contract come June. However, I hadn't taken into account the general mood around the club. It's well reported that Dickov has been like a breath of fresh air around the place and this extends to the non-playing staff too. I would even include Simon Corney himself, who must at times have felt it just wasn't worth it.

My thoughts are that uncertainty about jobs brought about a sea-change in the atmosphere around the place to the extent that PD himself became entrenched to a lesser or greater degree.

My point is, that it is much harder to motivate from a point of uncertainty than when you are playing with the field ahead of you.

Simon, we know the job is thankless and you've been let down many times, but don't forget who is ultimately responsible for rallying the troops and placing a reassuring arm around the enfeebled.

Dickov talks a good game, but it is becoming increasingly clear he has run out of ideas to turn this round. If we're going into the Yeovil game still shy of 50 points, we really are staring down the barrel. I don't know what the solution is, the players seem to have lost belief and enjoyment. Maybe someone was on to something with the dressing room being affected with the non-playing jokers of Purdie and Holdsworth leaving, seems daft but the body language and morale at the moment is worrying. Off the field issues haven't helped but they're in the same situation as probably two thirds of League One Players. Given that Reid is forever arguing with his team-mates, others wouldn't say boo to a goose and then you've got Jones and Taylor fighting. If I had hair I would be pulling it out. This is the worst run we've had in living memory, I know we lost 10 out of 11 in 85/86 but we scored 11 goals in that run. This run has got beyond the joke, the players have to step up to the plate no more passing the buck, its up to them to create chances, football's a simple game - they're over doing it. LIke many of us have said and the GMR commentators said on numerous occasions, we're great until we get to their box, then clueless…

We lost 10 out of 11 in 2004/05, the turning point? Beckett, we need a goalscorer, if we don't get one we're doomed. We've been in this league for 14 years and pretty much every year one team handily placed at the turn of the year has dropped like a stone and our record since the turn of the year is:-

P20 W4 D5 L11 F19 31 pts 17

Relegation form!

Even if the ludicrous decision to sack Dickov was taken, it would be too late to turn it round with the deadline being tomorrow. I still feel his biggest mistake was going all out attack at the end of October, before then we had been a compact unit, not scoring loads but difficult to beat a continuation of that would have seen us comfortably in mid-table….

Mentioned the non-playing jokers in the dressing room leaving on chat last night.. at least someone else agrees with me that it may have affected the players looking at their body language etc..

Maybe we need someone to offer their mop to be chopped off by the players if we score a goal!

Well said Prozac,

His substitutions have been so frustrating its frightening . This sticking a defender up front malarky is clueless I hate it ! Its good when you have run out of subs and for the last 2 minutes but to bring a CB on in front of 2 strikers is stupid.

didnt like him dropping Tarky last night , he was my MOM against a Brighton , I mean how many CBs have kept Murray that quiet? The poor lad must be gutted

Also he has had a tendancy to make subs when its to late, he has been to reactive with his subs most games and its cost us.

Not blaming it all on Dickov by any stretch of the imagination. The players need to look at themselves and realise they are all in this together, too many billy big balls in that team,

I think with Tarky, whilst he has been thrown in at the deep end, Dickov doesn't want him to be playing games in quick succession..

Team for Tranmere game...

Brill

Lee

Mvoto/ Trotman (Due to unknown extent of M'voto's new injury)

Tarky

Black

Jones

Stephens

Furman

Lewi / Taylor (Taylor to start if he is over the illness and back to fitness)

Brooke

Lewi/Morais/Tonk (Lewi to start with Brooke if Taylor has recovered..)

Please note I am not calling for him but if we did get relegated, should he be sacked?

Case For

Terrible Run of form

Daft subs

Not able to turn it round

Not able to stop freefall

Case Against

Great start to the season

Champagne football at times

Goal of the season

Outside influences ara a factor.

Rookie manager

He will have learnt a lot

Needs time like any manager should get

The Goal of the season illustrates just how far we have fallen - slick, crisp passing move with a crashing shot at the end of it - that's what we are capable of - if only...

i get the feeling if we go down, it'll be the end of the club. i can't see corney staying around, and the players out of contract will want to find another L1 club. so we've got to do enough in the next eight games and build for next season.

if we did still have a club though, i'd keep hold of dickov for as long as possible because we've seen how he can get the team to play and give him a bit longer to build the team how he wants and hopefully he can learn from this awful run

Quite right Joe. The worst thing about being an Oldham fan is our ability to sack a manager too soon. Looking at what Chesterfield makes me cringe to think we sacked him after what was in effect a bit of handbags at the dogs, 3 or 4 defeats on the bounce and slipping out of the playoffs by a point or two. Moronic decision.

We've had Warnock too, a manager who went on to be promoted numerous times. Different regime, I know but it still pains me that one.

Keep hold of Dickov. His work ethic is top notch, up until Feb we weren't a bad side at all and we're going through what all teams and managers experience; a pretty bad run of games. It will turn around, we're not far off and losing the games by the odd goal.

how long did we give big joe to get it right????

sacking at the end of the season is ridiculous even if relegated or not....after what he inherited when he took over he has still done a good job..everbody was happy with mid table....its a learning curve..

we have been crying out for a goal scorer all season long,every other positionhas been adressed,except striker....is there money available to bring a loanin tomorrow???? i doubt it...but we need one.

I'm not sure if it's arrogance or simple naivety from some fans here - but Dickov looks to have a good future in the game to me and if you think for one minute that he would want to stay at a club with so much uncertainty surrounding it, future and financial, after taking them down must be off your rockers!

he'll be out like a shot - who could blame him?

So many of us have called for so many heads of our managers, most of them, probably unecessary over the last 10 years, I'm beginning to wonder if the football gods are closing in on paying us all back.

The grass is certainly never greener folks.

we've pretty much been :censored:e for years and being :censored:e under Dickov doesn't feel quite as :censored:e as it did when we were :censored:e under certain other :censored:e managers

at least they're trying this time

we won't go down anyway but he shouldn't be sacked even if we did

he may, however, leave for a better job :unsure:

Edited by HarryBosch

I'm not sure if it's arrogance or simple naivety from some fans here - but Dickov looks to have a good future in the game to me and if you think for one minute that he would want to stay at a club with so much uncertainty surrounding it, future and financial, after taking them down must be off your rockers!

he'll be out like a shot - who could blame him?

So many of us have called for so many heads of our managers, most of them, probably unecessary over the last 10 years, I'm beginning to wonder if the football gods are closing in on paying us all back.

The grass is certainly never greener folks.

To be honest if the worst comes to the worst then Dickov is going to have on his managerial C.V. 1 season in management 1 relegation its unlikely the big clubs are going to be beating a path to get him if thats the case.

However I do think sticking with him is the best option an he should do enough between now and the end of the season to steer us home and I would like to see him give 2-3 more attempts atleast to get it right here and build a squad steadily not ripping it up and starting again although with the uncertainty surrounding the club at the moment he may not get that opportunity I hope the summer brings some kind of stability but I'm nervous though.

We should be extended PD's contract and allow him to finish the job that he's started.

This has been his first ever season as a manager and a very steep learning curve. We've seen so many positives and his style of play is light years ahead of what we've witnessed since Shez left. Yes he's made some mistakes, made one or two dodgy signings and some tactical decisions have made you scratch your head but I can only see this club progressing under one person and that's Dickov.

Allow him the chance to make a few playing changes, retain the stronger players and release the weak links and we can do something next season.

Question is whether the owners can afford to sign him up on a long-term deal and provide him with a stable environment to progress.

we've pretty much been :censored:e for years and being :censored:e under Dickov doesn't feel quite as :censored:e as it did when we were :censored:e under certain other :censored:e managers

at least they're trying this time

we won't go down anyway but he shouldn't be sacked even if we did

he may, however, leave for a better job :unsure:

are they ?

They dont look to have tried half as much since they wasnt paid

Looking back over the season, Hartlepool at home aside, our run of great form and performances left us at the end of November. December was a write-off but January at least brought upper mid-table results.

I agree that the loss of Holdsworth and Purdie (and M'Voto for Tonks) may have had an effect on morale. However, there is a turning point in our season that can be clearly identified - Corney's 'we won't be at Boundary Park next season' rant.

Initially, I felt that this wouldn't have had much effect on the performances, after all, the majority of our squad were either loanees or out of contract come June. However, I hadn't taken into account the general mood around the club. It's well reported that Dickov has been like a breath of fresh air around the place and this extends to the non-playing staff too. I would even include Simon Corney himself, who must at times have felt it just wasn't worth it.

My thoughts are that uncertainty about jobs brought about a sea-change in the atmosphere around the place to the extent that PD himself became entrenched to a lesser or greater degree.

My point is, that it is much harder to motivate from a point of uncertainty than when you are playing with the field ahead of you.

Simon, we know the job is thankless and you've been let down many times, but don't forget who is ultimately responsible for rallying the troops and placing a reassuring arm around the enfeebled.

That's a good point JP, it was the enforced break for the weather that seemed to derail us, when we finally got a game everyone said the form had desserted us.

We've been on a downward spiral ever since.

THey say football is a mental game, 90% inspiration, 10% perspiration, so maybe it is that old mental strength thing.

I am sure Dickov has it, everything in his career indicates it, just some of the younger players who possibly have never truly experienced uncertainty like the possibility of losing your job.

I don't know hat it is. It's not normally one thing, is it, a culmination of things.

My view is the mian facor is focus.

Distracted in the last 20 mins, distracted when ahead in a game, distracted by the stadium, distracted by players leaving, distracted by non payment of wages.

And to be fair, that is down to the mananger to sort. which I beleive he can.

Edited by singe

If we want a parrallel, and I think there are quite a few in football like Old Red Nose and our own Joe Royle,there is one in Rugby too. Tony Smith now at Warrington, which some will know.

I posted similar on the Roughyeds site.

Seeing Warrington's result against Quins it does make Warrington the template, they had 11,000 + there from a 80,000 population.

And in Tony Smith, who got Giants relegated and then lost the first 13 games before finally getting the Giants back the season after, shows what can be achieved by sticking by someone in adversity.

That's a good point JP, it was the enforced break for the weather that seemed to derail us, when we finally got a game everyone said the form had desserted us.

We've been on a downward spiral ever since.

That reasoning wasn't acceptable last season...now ironically, we need a bit of last seasons grit and backbone to halt the slide. Not sure if we've got it. Wouldn't get rid of Dickov but then, I wouldn't have got rid of other past managers when we did, bar the one (BT).

That reasoning wasn't acceptable last season...now ironically, we need a bit of last seasons grit and backbone to halt the slide. Not sure if we've got it. Wouldn't get rid of Dickov but then, I wouldn't have got rid of other past managers when we did, bar the one (BT).

Indeed. Sooner or later we will pick a duffer as manager. That will see us relegated.

A manager needs three YEARS to mould his team. Let's give him that and see where we are. Like we should have the others*.

*I won't start on another Sheridan sacked rant.