So we are in a relegation battle and we get rid of our best player

Well done Latics ,

you never cease to amaze !!! :ranting:

I was never never that amazed before. I think before now I was fairly confident in us pulling a win or two out of the run-in, but that was when I knew we had the likes of Stephens who was always good for a few more goals before the seasons end.

A huge, huge gamble this by the club, who had it in their power to keep him here. The whole agents turned his head angle is a load of bollocks, they've basically taken the fee from Southampton and made some room on the wage bill to bring someone else in. But to do it with the player who's contributed by far the most in terms of goals and creativity literally has put our future in this division well and truly on the line.

It will be interesting to see the spin applied by the club from this, but I suspect what it'll be anyway.

Right, we're all pissed off about this I'm sure. But instead of bitching and feeling completely deflated by it all, can't we focus our energies in supporting the club as we enter the business end of the season?

I was never never that amazed before. I think before now I was fairly confident in us pulling a win or two out of the run-in, but that was when I knew we had the likes of Stephens who was always good for a few more goals before the seasons end.

A huge, huge gamble this by the club, who had it in their power to keep him here. The whole agents turned his head angle is a load of bollocks, they've basically taken the fee from Southampton and made some room on the wage bill to bring someone else in. But to do it with the player who's contributed by far the most in terms of goals and creativity literally has put our future in this division well and truly on the line.

It will be interesting to see the spin applied by the club from this, but I suspect what it'll be anyway.

Right, we're all pissed off about this I'm sure. But instead of bitching and feeling completely deflated by it all, can't we focus our energies in supporting the club as we enter the business end of the season?

amen, starting on Monday night's crucial game

Luxury player for us.

As crazy as it sounds, he was our best player but we don't need him. It's obvious we're not going to click into the same free-flowing passing team we were early on in the season. Whatever points we earn now we're going to have to battle for, that's why I'd rather have Furman, Taylor, Morais. Players who run, Stephens is fantastic technically and is blessed with great passing and shooting talent, but it's all hand on deck time now, we have to dog every opponent, bomb around the pitch, snatch our chances. The pretty stuff which Stephens would be a big part of is out of the window.

Disappointed he has gone, because he is quality, but rather him than Furman or Taylor.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Well done Latics ,

Well done Latics, if the monies being received from Southampton allow us pay the other players!!

I suspect we have had an up front amount for the permanent move which will happen close season...

Business is business!

The only constant, season after season, is that players will come and go. And in Latics case a fair sprinkling of managers as well. Yes it's disheartening but if a player wants to go or even if the club has a reason to let them go, then so be it. Of course I'd love to keep hold of our best players but accept that at a club like ours that's never going to happen. Why do I still come? It's not a choice. I don't always enjoy it. But it's a calling. Well, as long as I have the money that is! So I'll be there again on Monday, grumbling about having to move from the Roccie Rd end again and for no proper reason. And maybe, just maybe we will sneak a win and I'll drive back home dreaming once again about the possibilities for next season. It's pure Groundhog Day at BP.

Keep Stephens or go bust? Not a hard question.

Jones in centre mid (his best position) and we've not lost that much in my opinion. Certainly not enough to make us a bottom 4 side. One win will solve this slump, hopefully Monday.

No blame can be laid at Corney's door, how much money can he be expected to spunk on the club? Clearly gave in and backed the manager, again, at the turn of the year with a few more new signings and we've :censored:ed it up. He gave Dickov money for a fee on Reid, yeah that fat bastard we paid a fee for him. When I say we I mean Corney.

Can't blame Dickov really but he signed Jones and Feeney and hasn't played them. Wasted wages on someone as :censored: as Kelly and paid a fee for a player we didn't really need. Reid was a welcome addition but wasn't needed as we had / have a few strikers on the books.

The blame can be laid on all the fans who will be moaning about us selling him but are too tight to shell out the money to support the club and attend the home games.

to be fair i thought most of what you said there was bollocks

The bit about 5 paragraphs? ;-)

Not sure how people can blame Corney, if he was being a bastard Lee and Furman would be out and the loan players wouldn't be here.

People just need to calm down and look at those that aren't supporting the club.

We won't go down, form is temp and I can't see us going the rest of the season without winning at least another 2 games.

We won't go down, form is temp and I can't see us going the rest of the season without winning at least another 2 games.

I like the cut of your jib, but I was thinking that after 5 or 6 games without a win. One will come soon, surely?

But it hasn't, and should most behind us win games in hand we'll be nestled right above the drop zone.

I really hope this young lad from Blackburn slots in nicely. Just seems to be so much riding on pretty young, inexperienced shoulders IMO.

This thread is :censored:ing brilliant!It's like Springer in here.Who's next to have a tiff?Come on, roll up, roll up...

There's some over-reaction to this. We get/save a few quid, would appear to have only let him go once a suitable replacement was secured, he could have gotten injured tomorrow and, crucially, he apparently wanted to go.

:dntknw:

Well done Latics ,

Don't know if you've heard, but we've scored 2 goals in 17 hours.

Stephens has been a central part to the team that have "achieved" this.

I can't see being without Stephens having much impact on the way this season turns out.

Don't know if you've heard, but we've scored 2 goals in 17 hours.

Stephens has been a central part to the team that have "achieved" this.

I can't see being without Stephens having much impact on the way this season turns out.

I don't agree Joe. He was missing for a few games of this trecherous run, and of the few goals we have managed to score, one of them was a beauty from Dale. To see he won't have much impact suggests a bit of naivity. Then again, it could be soothed with an immediate impact by the new boy Lowe, but having to pin our hopes on someone so inexperienced leaves me more than a tad uncomfortable about the run-in.

I'm not quite sure what some people expect the club to do, we are absolutely potless, we couldn't pay last months wages on time and I'm sure this month would have been the same.

They had no choice in the sale of Stephens if we want to continue to exist, I suspect we may lose at least another of Furman, Taylor or Lee in the summer as well, as they are about the only ones saleable.

The pathetic crowds we get will always ensure that we will have to sell anybody saleable just to stay in business.

It's the harsh financial reality of football for most clubs (not just us) in Leagues 1 & 2.

I stopped reading after this TBH.

Lol...me too...the lad clearly hasn't seen Jones in the middle or clearly doesn't know much about football. I'll give him benefit of the doubt and say he hasn't seen him in midfield. Which ironically, not many of us have when he's played there as he is utterly anonymous in the position. More so than Butcher was!

Edited by boundaryblue80