Simon Corney on GMR

Can't see much benefit for him though. What if his other business interests all got hammered the day after he wrote them off? It would have been money into a black hole. IT makes no odds either in terms of getting a windfall, he could just as easily pay himself a huge dividend as pay himself his loans back.

aye...

Its very much debt...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listened to the entire pre-match interview, which nearly made me late for the game!

Simon Corney also stated that we wouldn’t be ground sharing with Rochdale, Stalybridge Celtic or Curzon Ashton. However, he added that a couple of local authorities – and I think he said within a 10 to 20 mile radius - would welcome the club with open arms. The club was still considering options that some fans wouldn’t like.

Corney also added that he has personally put money into the club over recent months, and has probably stretched himself financially. He was even asked how wealthy he was!

I understood the comments about a new 6,000 to 7,000 seater Broadway stand to be an ideal goal, but the money simply wasn’t there to fund this. Like most Latics fans he would love to stay at BP, but wouldn’t commit to where we would be playing the season after next.

Corney also stated that he would be happy for someone to buy the club outright, or to work in partnership with him.

He tried to be diplomatic about Oldham Council, but said they had made some strange decisions!

In general Corney seemed very positive and upbeat about the future.

I would imagine if we built 6,000 seater stand at BP then the club would not have a car park going forward with the rest of the land being sold of for housing...

Would anyone want to buy a house so close to a football club ? I wouldn't want to buy the ones near the Clayton...

Orientd ground has tower blocks of flats in the corners between the stands. Many other clubs are surrounded by houses especially in London. Look at Charlton and the old Highbury stadiums.

they had 20 minutes with him before the game.

main points I caught were:-

players are normally paid last Friday of the month but will be paid within month of March (technically not late). Last months were 48 hrs late though, players and staff.

we've got no money but we've got no debt - does this mean the other 2 don't want their money back?

Failsworth 95% dead. council want us to keep trying but that could take years so unlikely we will

he mentioned a couple of times building a new 6-7,000 seat stand with all the facilities but no money for that at the moment

he'd like to stay at BP just like us

there are other options but we, the fans, wouldn't like them

asked would we be at BP next season he answered "i'd think so"

Lets keep our fingers crossed that Richards gets really annoyed at City because they won't give him a pay rise and he moves for £20m

In tonight’s rarely-wrong Chron, SC talks about the non-payment of wages and efforts to secure a new site for the stadium.

“I think people are scare-mongering and trying to cause problems, but we are absolutely fine.

“It is a struggle and nobody is denying that, month to month, but we will get through to the end of the season, somehow, some way.

“I have always said that and nothing has changed.

“I understand people are concerned, but they have to realise we are not in a bad situation.

“I say it all the time, we don’t have any debt. We are one of the better run clubs, whether people believe it or not.

“I think some people do try to cause trouble and stir things up, but it is absolutely fine.”

SC: Defiant talk

It's no use D_S, even when quotes directly from the horses mouth are aired live on radio and printed in a newspaper a lot of people on this forum still choose not to beleive it.

It's would seem is far easier to scaremonger and start conspiricy theories rather than focus on what's been said :petesake:

It's either a debt or its not debt... In the case above it is a very real debt.

It's a debt, but one that could give us a bit of room if they aren't calling it in. The tax man won't hunt us down if he isn't getting the full amount of tax owed or sending us into oblivion (as they want to do with any club somewhere). So we can run up debts to something around £1.67M of 'unfriendly' debt (tax), before it gets called in (if we owe say, £5M to Blitz).

Blitz won't call it in at the moment, as I suspect he knows how much money he will get, and there are other ways of getting some back - even if it isn't much.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

It's no use D_S, even when quotes directly from the horses mouth are aired live on radio and printed in a newspaper a lot of people on this forum still choose not to beleive it.

It's would seem is far easier to scaremonger and start conspiricy theories rather than focus on what's been said :petesake:

I'm a millionaire, have a twelve inch penis and am married to Megan Fox.

Do you see?

:applause1:

I love a conspiracy theory, but I fear that the scaremongering and spreading of ill-founded rumours and conspiracy theories can be damaging to the Club, in that those who choose to believe what they're told by the horse's arse, rather than its mouth, continue to use the misinformation as a reason to stay away from BP. :disappointed: I am constantly hearing untruths about Latics and I spend far too long talking to BP absentees who are as deaf as brick walls.

I'm a millionaire, have a twelve inch penis and am married to Megan Fox.

Do you see?

It seems people don't see.

My posts aren't scaremongering and aren't intended to be. They are a mix of questions and conjecture. When it comes to money a snapshot of "all is rosey" means nothing if forecastable events in the future aren't adequately planned for.

Mixing every Sunday with religious types I know a thing or two about blind faith... :) and DS will be first in line for the cool aid <_<

The doing down of people who are worried by suggesting they will be happy when they can say "I told you so" is bad mouthing of the worse kind.

Edited by oafc0000

Mixing every Sunday with religious types I know a thing or two about blind faith... :) and DS will be first in line for the cool aid <_<

The doing down of people who are worried by suggesting they will be happy when they can say "I told you so" is bad mouthing of the worse kind.

Worry when it is justified. Based on the reported procedural errors by the Council, I was worried about the Failsworth land debacle and, even though it was stated on here to be a done deal, I pointed out in advance that the Charity Commission would not approve it. I was proved to be correct, but unhappy that a golden opportunity had been lost due to incompetence.

How could anyone, who knows what Latics has always been about, have blind faith? I've lived through more crises at BP than some on here have had Holland's pies, and based on what the horse's mouth says repeatedly, I feel there is less reason to worry than believing scaremongerers and rumour merchants. Simples!

Relegation beckons but, hey ho, it'll be an opportunity to visit those elusive grounds. I'm just hoping Burton Albion stay in the League long enough for Latics fans, including those who don't go to BP, to have a day out in the Global Brewing Capital.

D_S was spot on about Failsworth, def not blind faifth. In my book he's only reiterated in quite an objectionable way that people should use there own brains when choosing who to beleve and to think before they pass it on. There is also a thin line sometimes between asking decent questions that need to be asked, and fueled rhetorical questions that spread doubt.

It's not about who is right and wrong... It is about people saying anyone would get a jolly from the down fall of the club by a chance to say I told you so that's not on...

If it was a contest about who was right and wrong then Corporal Jones would take gold <_<

Edited by oafc0000

He meant we hung on to Taylor as a gamble in reaching the playoffs, but if he'd known we would tail away they would have cash in on him to ease the cash flow problems.

That may have happened, if yet again FEBRUARY hadnt come around, dummies thrown out of the pram etc.Every year seems to be the same. The players are only human, young at that.Last year, Captain Gregan took them on one side and turned it round.

It's not about who is right and wrong... It is about people saying anyone would get a jolly from the down fall of the club by a chance to say I told you so that's not on...

If it was a contest about who was right and wrong then Corporal Jones would take gold <_<

So, where would we be now with the debt of a 20,000 seat stadium specificaly built to make "a statement of intent" to our neighbours?

I think you are in danger of cherry picking one comment of his. Admittedly he made about 3 comments and repeated them ad infinitum so it is an easy thing to do.

I was always filled with admiration for the Corp, anyone who can find so many different ways of saying the same thing over and over again has to be admired :grin:

I think having no money is somewhat more damaging to the club than anything said by a few internet personas on a message board.

Too many people are too easily led by baseless rumours and conspiracies, but it seems some are equally easily led by the content and structure of official statements.

I'm sure Simon can technically back up his statement that we have no debt, and in that context the imminent threat of administration would appear to be false. But he was quite clear about the rest of the story too - there is currently neither a plan nor a budget for next season.

I think having no money is somewhat more damaging to the club than anything said by a few internet personas on a message board.

Too many people are too easily led by baseless rumours and conspiracies, but it seems some are equally easily led by the content and structure of official statements.

I'm sure Simon can technically back up his statement that we have no debt, and in that context the imminent threat of administration would appear to be false. But he was quite clear about the rest of the story too - there is currently neither a plan nor a budget for next season.

totally agree with this. and i think it's a bit rich to moan about scaremongering when the simple fact is that for two months in a row there wasn't enough money in the club to pay the staff.

totally agree with this. and i think it's a bit rich to moan about scaremongering when the simple fact is that for two months in a row there wasn't enough money in the club to pay the staff.

One of the key points that DS made was that overstating the problems sends out a message to non-attenders that the club has no future and so pointless to support.

There have been cash flow problems - just as there have been at umpteen lower division clubs - but to turn that into anything more than that can be damaging. There's not enough cash flow primarily because not enough folk are coming through the turnstiles. It seems counter productive if those who claim support for the club alienate potential/lapsed customers.

And it's not going to have businesses putting sponsorship in either.

Corporal Jones may have self combusted but there are enough Private Frazers with their "doomed" utterances to make this like an evning of Dads Army on UK Gold.