By no means a classic but we played fairly well in the 1st half and deserved the lead. 2nd half we were rubbish, most players lacked effort, fitness or both. There was no way that we should have drawn that after they went down to 10 but Yeovil deserved the point by the end as we were so poor. Hopefully Dickov won't accept that 2nd half performance and we'll put in the full 90 next week.

A few standout points:

Taylor's goal was a very good counter attack and showed exactly what we can do. He was probably my MOTM but no-one deserved that accolade after the 2nd half showing.

Reid is a decent player...for 45 minutes. After that he's knackered and useless.

Tounkara has a lot to learn about making the ball stick up front. He's also knackered for this season.

Tarkowski had a decent first half but got torn to shreds by their pacy forwards and long balls in the 2nd half. Certainly something there to work with but needs to find a way of compensating for his lack of pace. He gave the ball away that led to the goal but he'll learn from it.

The fact that Taylor was our oldest player and captain was obvious. We badly lacked experience and good leadership.

Brill convinced me today that he's not good enough to be number one next season. Keep him as backup if we can afford him but we should look for better in the summer.

Evina, Lee, Furman, M'voto, Lowe and Alessandra were decent/average. Would like it if Lewi got a new contract as he offers us something different. White and Feeney offered very little.

Yeovil were poor but not relegation material.

Might sound strange but moving the full backs inside and going 3 at the back might have worked well in the 2nd half. Evina's pace would have stopped Yeovil using the long ball so often.

The abuse from the Yeovil fans towards Trevor Kettle was merciless, but justified.

Not sure I'd mind if we kept all or none of that team on for next season. All of them have potential but none are indispensible. Number one target in the summer has to be an experienced and streetwise striker, although sending Reuben Reid to boot camp wouldn't go amiss either.

Think we'll lose at Exeter next week. Not looking forward to it. :(

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

By no means a classic but we played fairly well in the 1st half and deserved the lead. 2nd half we were rubbish, most players lacked effort, fitness or both. There was no way that we should have drawn that after they went down to 10 but Yeovil deserved the point by the end as we were so poor. Hopefully Dickov won't accept that 2nd half performance and we'll put in the full 90 next week.

A few standout points:

Taylor's goal was a very good counter attack and showed exactly what we can do. He was probably my MOTM but no-one deserved that accolade after the 2nd half showing.

Reid is a decent player...for 45 minutes. After that he's knackered and useless.

Tounkara has a lot to learn about making the ball stick up front. He's also knackered for this season.

Tarkowski had a decent first half but got torn to shreds by their pacy forwards and long balls in the 2nd half. Certainly something there to work with but needs to find a way of compensating for his lack of pace. He gave the ball away that led to the goal but he'll learn from it.

The fact that Taylor was our oldest player and captain was obvious. We badly lacked experience and good leadership.

Brill convinced me today that he's not good enough to be number one next season. Keep him as backup if we can afford him but we should look for better in the summer.

Evina, Lee, Furman, M'voto, Lowe and Alessandra were decent/average. Would like it if Lewi got a new contract as he offers us something different. White and Feeney offered very little.

Might sound strange but moving the full backs inside and going 3 at the back might have worked well in the 2nd half. Evina's pace would have stopped Yeovil using the long ball so often.

The abuse from the Yeovil fans towards Trevor Kettle was merciless, but justified.

Not sure I'd mind if we kept all or none of that team on for next season. All of them have potential but none are indispensible. Number one target in the summer has to be an experienced and streetwise striker, although sending Reuben Reid to boot camp wouldn't go amiss either.

Just back myself, and all of that is pretty much spot on.

Would say I don't think you can call Brill one way or another based on the game. He hardly had anything to to do and the goal wasn't his fault. He kicked badly a couple of times, but also saved well just after half-time. I think we could do worse than hanging onto Brill.

They were all were fantastic in the first half, yet dropped their game in the second. None more so than Reid - fantastic play in the first-half, but not in the game in the second. Tarky was also knackered and was getting torn a new one by their forward in the second-half.

Would probably say Mvoto was Man of the Match.

God knows what Dickov said at half-time. It would have been a tall ask to keep the pace we started at up, but we had no tactic in the second-half apart from sit-back deep and let them come at us, with no real desire to get that second goal.

One positive is that I still don't reckon we miss Stepehens, in fact Furman's game seems to have come on more without him. He now seems to be the "ball-playing" midfielder, while Lowe tidies up.

Edited by JoeP

Didnt go to the game despite being only 45 mins away (day out by the coast with the mrs...).

Stats show we only had 3 shots with 1 on target? Pretty pathetic when playin against 10 men for a while.

Did Jonathan Obika look good for them? Much rather have someone like him on loan than Tonk.

A few standout points:

Pretty much agree with most of that. The passing and the speed with which we got into position for Taylor's goal was excellent. And we did it more than once but with no end product.

There were definitely two Reids out there today. He couldn't have trapped a bag of cement or passed to a blue shirt for a million quid in the second half. Tonk looks shattered. He ran his socks off again, but never looked like creating much.

I thought young Tarky looked good when he's facing the ball. I don't think he got beaten for a header all afternoon. He does beaten for pace but some of his recovery work was excellent. M'Voto was solid and quickly recovered from the odd mistake. To be honest, with those two at the back, I don't think we'd miss Hazell at all.

Taylor was MOM for me. He ran himself stupid chasing lost causes and his goal was a peach. Maybe not his best ever game, but he caused them problems. Alice showed some trickery and he has certainly got a football brain, but he ran out of steam. I'd liked to have seen Hughes given a run instead of White, who has completely lost the plot since he came back from injury. Feeney's 10 minute cameo did nothing to enhance his rather tarnished reputation.

You could be forgiven for thinking Lowe wasn't on the pitch for most of the game. When he did get involved, he looked decent. I thought Evina had a good game today, especially going forward at pace. He had a few pacy runs beating two and three defenders but couldn't find the killer touch.

Lee & Furball were pretty faultless and Brill didn't get his knees dirty until the second half. I thought he was a bit unlucky with their goal, unless TV replays prove that he should have saved it. He still worries me with crosses and free kicks though and some of his kicking was absolute rubbish. We were in more danger from some of them in the second half than the oppo goal was.

In short, we're not far off being a very good team. If we'd been 3 up at half time, Yeovil couldn't have complained, we were that much better than they were. And there was the problem - good passing and approach play, but nothing at the end of it. Taylor was always the most likely to score, so that tells its own story. Yeovil must have had a rocket up there arses at HT, becuse they went for it more than we did. We sat too deep and got dragged down to their level, even when they went down to 10 men.

There was only a 5 or so minute spell in the 2nd half when we threatened them. And believe me, they're not a good side. They play a lot of hoofball and only pass it around in midfield. Two points lost for us and their players and fans reaction at the end said it all. You'd think they'd battered us 6-0.

A few standout points:

Just picking that one point out. This is something someone said a couple of weeks back about him being a bit slow etc. Awareness, positioning etc are part of having a good football brain and you either have them or you don't (in most pro footballers it's "don't" unfortunately although they generally improve with age) whereas pace is soemthing you can work on. Maybe he isn't naturally blessed with pace but that is so easily rectified with some hard work down the gym. I always get the feeling in football that aside from pure aerobic fitness, other areas of physicality (for want of a better phrase) are overlooked or not given the same attention. Speaking with a girl I know at my gym who works for Leeds Utd as a physio and nutritionist, their diet/eating habits and how they train (again aside from aerobically) is pretty pathetic for anyone not just professional sportmen. I would assume that's a constant throughout the game at most clubs.

I also think there should be a mention for today's ref, one Trevor Kettle. I know he's made our blood boil in the past with his decisions. Today, he got the Yeovil fans steamed up. Many more performances like that and he should be in hot water with the Football League. He doesn't seem to be switched on to the game sometimes. OK, puns over.

From where I was sat, I thought we had a couple of decent penalty shouts, but good ol' Mr Kettle waved them away and then awarded free kicks on the half way line for similar offences. On one occasion, Tonk got a hefty push in the back causing him to fall face first on top of the ball. OK, his arms were under him as well, so Mr Kettle gives a free kick to them for hands. Tonk complained and got booked for dissent. Five minutes later, identical offence and a free kick is given for the push.

His assistant near us wasn't a lot better. Gave two throw ins (one for each side) when we could see that the whole ball clearly hadn't crossed the line. He completely missed Tarky being given a bear hug and wrestled to the ground in their box.

And in case you think I'm being biased, he gave us some decisions that were on the dodgy side, especially in the first 30 minutes or so.

I've simmered down now. Sorry, couldn't resist one more.

... Two points lost for us and their players and fans reaction at the end said it all. You'd think they'd battered us 6-0.

Thanks all for the incisive reports.

They were probably overcelebrating because they pulled a draw back after going down to 10 men and after being outplayed in the 1st 1/2 and also because the point makes them almost guaranteed a place in this div next season.

Just picking that one point out. This is something someone said a couple of weeks back about him being a bit slow etc. Awareness, positioning etc are part of having a good football brain and you either have them or you don't (in most pro footballers it's "don't" unfortunately although they generally improve with age) whereas pace is soemthing you can work on. Maybe he isn't naturally blessed with pace but that is so easily rectified with some hard work down the gym. I always get the feeling in football that aside from pure aerobic fitness, other areas of physicality (for want of a better phrase) are overlooked or not given the same attention. Speaking with a girl I know at my gym who works for Leeds Utd as a physio and nutritionist, their diet/eating habits and how they train (again aside from aerobically) is pretty pathetic for anyone not just professional sportmen. I would assume that's a constant throughout the game at most clubs.

Lets not read too much into Tarkys lack of pace yet. Hes 18. Had real problems with a bad injury last year. Has played a lot of games this season for a young lad. Give him a chance.

Edited by Museum de Latique

I'm surprised at that, I thought that all pro footballers were advised about diets these days. I am sure the Prem clubs and most top European clubs are very hot on the players diets.

As far as pace goes, you've either got it or you haven't. Working in a gym you probably know more than me, but I doubt you could make much improvement. Stamina and strength can be greatly improved, but pace and speed of thought are different.

Nowt special that I know of yet, will keep you posted if I hear of anything.

Ta - car boot etc.

Remember t he first time I went to Exeter as a neutral was a Easter Monday. Nearly paid in at the speedway before I found out I was at the wrong place :lol:. Twas the first game of three games in one day. Would have been about 1984. Exeter v Wolves 11am, Bristol Rovers v Brentford (at Bath 15.00) and Crewe v Burnley (19.30). Was crazy in those days as well.

I also think there should be a mention for today's ref, one Trevor Kettle. I know he's made our blood boil in the past with his decisions. Today, he got the Yeovil fans steamed up. Many more performances like that and he should be in hot water with the Football League. He doesn't seem to be switched on to the game sometimes. OK, puns over.

From where I was sat, I thought we had a couple of decent penalty shouts, but good ol' Mr Kettle waved them away and then awarded free kicks on the half way line for similar offences. On one occasion, Tonk got a hefty push in the back causing him to fall face first on top of the ball. OK, his arms were under him as well, so Mr Kettle gives a free kick to them for hands. Tonk complained and got booked for dissent. Five minutes later, identical offence and a free kick is given for the push.

His assistant near us wasn't a lot better. Gave two throw ins (one for each side) when we could see that the whole ball clearly hadn't crossed the line. He completely missed Tarky being given a bear hug and wrestled to the ground in their box.

And in case you think I'm being biased, he gave us some decisions that were on the dodgy side, especially in the first 30 minutes or so.

I've simmered down now. Sorry, couldn't resist one more.

Thanks to my extraordinary long-range vision, I said at the time Latics should have had two penalties in the opening few minutes, but nobody sat near me seemed to agree, the general opinion being to agree with the Yeovil fans that our players went down too easily. Dickov also saw them as penalties but reckoned they were both in the first minute.

http://www.football.co.uk/oldham_athletic/dickov_raps_officials_rss1644399.shtml

Whistling Kettle was the most unpopular man at Huish Park. The home fans were anticipating trouble brewing, based on their previous experience. More Yeovil fans responded to the “Stand up if you hate Kettle” chant than to the one about loving Yeovil.

There is even a facebook site about his unfitness to referee.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27603969486

The Yeovil manager and Fans’ Forum report also reflect on Kettle going off the boil and time the two penalty claims as the first ten minutes.

http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/ASP/news/news.asp

I'm surprised at that, I thought that all pro footballers were advised about diets these days. I am sure the Prem clubs and most top European clubs are very hot on the players diets.

As far as pace goes, you've either got it or you haven't. Working in a gym you probably know more than me, but I doubt you could make much improvement. Stamina and strength can be greatly improved, but pace and speed of thought are different.

That's what I thought as well and they are, it's just they are contractually bound to follow a diet plan. The problem isn't so much they eat loads of fatty foods etc, more they eat the wrong things at the wrong times and have absolutely no knowledge of why they're eating things beyond 'protein gives me bigger muscles herpa derp'.

Regarding pace, you've kind of hit the point I was making. Yes you can be born with natural pace which is a fortunate position to be in for most sports, but you can most certainly build pace as well. One of the most neglected muscles in the leg is the hamstring and it's really important for speed. I would almost guarentee that if you went and watched our players or indeed most other footballers weights routines at the gym they don't even touch them apart from assisting in other movements. I see a lot of Leeds Rhinos and Carnegie players working on speed and explosive power in their legs and they concentrate on romanian deadlifts (not necessarily the best hamstring builder but decent enough) and heavy squats with emphasis on the push rather than the negative. If we got Tarky doing this sort of thing and sprinting with resistance we'd see an improvement.

I should point out i'm not having a go at Tarky in particular just pointing out a misconception more than anything else.