Good blog summing up the Labour experiment nicely

http://www.oldholborn.net/2010/05/mummy-daddy-children-are-you-sitting.html

Then I'll begin

Parents

Your children, if aged 13 and under have only ever lived under a New Labour government. That means you have not had to take responsibility for their education, discipline, welfare, behaviour or aspirations. You have been taught to give them all they require and send the bill to the Government who promised to look after everything as long as you voted for them. Nike trainers, PS3's on demand, iPhones for under 10's, the lot. and if you couldn't afford it, Labour made sure that every credit shark in the business could lend you money you couldn't afford to repay.

If your partner legged it, so what, more tax credits. If little Timmy punched a teacher, so what, he'll get extra sweets from an ADHD diversity coordinator and if he burnt down the house, so what, Labour would give you another one. If he can't read and write, so what, he'll go on the Social and get a flat for his now pregnant girlfriend he met last night. No need to worry about the kids, that's what the state is for, ain't my fault, innit.

Well guess what? That's coming to an end. If you didn't bother to nurture your offspring, the State will no longer take responsibility for them. You will. Chardonnay is not going to get a council house because she dropped them as soon as she could to the first passing asylum seeker with no forwarding address. She and her halfling are going to be living in your spare room, smoking your fags and wolfing down your pot noodles.

Little Connor (who is an angel, says his Nan) is not going to get one on one tuition in an effort to stop him hitting the teachers. He's going to be smashing up YOUR front room instead of a classroom. Oh, and he's not going for two weeks camping with the council diversity coordinator where he can run riot and you get a fortnights heavy drinking in. He's staying with you. Ripping up your stuff to show how creative he is. And the army of hairy lipped sandalistas you normally rang and demanded "sort 'im aht, he's doin' my 'ead in" aren't going to be there anymore.

In short, the buck now stops with you. Not me, the taxpayer. Enjoy the fruits of your loins. Every horrifying minute stuck with what you allowed Labour to create in your name. Put down the remote and teach your child to read. Sit at a dinner table and eat with your child. Meals YOU have cooked. Teach him the value of food, conversation, family, money, hard work, ambition, aspiration and dreams. Show him knowledge. Teach him manners. Teach him the consequences of his decisions. Teach him respect.

Because no matter what they promised, Labour certainly didn't and now you are going to have to pick up the pieces. I wish you luck, you're going to need it.

Children

Your world is about to change dramatically. In order to survive, you are going to have to do things you have never done before. You are going to have to acquire skills that will enable you to live in a world where there are no free hand outs and no one is being paid to put up with your abuse anymore. Trust me, they aren't going to do it for free either.

If you decide that school is a pain, family is :censored:, money is everything and having a laugh whilst someone else pays and deals with the mess, then you are in for a shock. It isn't your fault but it IS up to you to sort it out. And you can. You have a unique opportunity to crawl out of the pond that so many of today's neets are mindlessly swimming in and you'd better make sure you're in the first wave who do, because sure as eggs, the ladder will be pulled up.

Study. Read a book. Gain knowledge that others do not have, it will make you valuable. It will mean you do not have to live with your mum, her numerous boyfriends and Chardonnays screaming brat "doing your head in". It will give you independence to live your life as you wish, not as a Politician wished you to live it. It will give you freedom.

One thing is for sure, if you want what Labour promised, an easy idle life with no responsibility, then you are going to have to finance it yourself.

As Liam Byrne said "There's no money left". And he wasn't joking.

Things starts to go wrong right under the masthead, where it says there's 60 million of us and 646 of them. There are 649 of them - if he means MPs. That's what they call a fact, and if someone can't be bothered to get them straight, I can't be bothered with any of their subsequent opinions.

Apart from that, it's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. I really I hope the writer's mental troubles can be dealt with, but I doubt it.

Might as well stick this here too, just substitute Cameron for Thatcher whilst reading.

"If Margaret Thatcher is re-elected as prime minister on Thursday, I warn you. I warn you that you will have pain – when healing and relief depend upon payment. I warn you that you will have ignorance – when talents are untended and wits are wasted, when learning is a privilege and not a right. I warn you that you will have poverty – when pensions slip and benefits are whittled away by a government that won’t pay in an economy that can't pay. I warn you that you will be cold – when fuel charges are used as a tax system that the rich don't notice and the poor can't afford.

I warn you that you must not expect work – when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don't earn, they don't spend. When they don't spend, work dies. I warn you not to go into the streets alone after dark or into the streets in large crowds of protest in the light. I warn you that you will be quiet – when the curfew of fear and the gibbet of unemployment make you obedient. I warn you that you will have defence of a sort – with a risk and at a price that passes all understanding. I warn you that you will be home-bound – when fares and transport bills kill leisure and lock you up. I warn you that you will borrow less – when credit, loans, mortgages and easy payments are refused to people on your melting income.

If Margaret Thatcher wins on Thursday, I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to get old."

I hear Labour sponsored Bin Laden, killed kittens, gave Lancashire to Yorkshire and fixed football results so that United won too.

Not to worry though as the David Cameron killed Bin Laden with his bare hands, then took out the camera man to save face for the Americans, gave mouth to mouth to the same kittens ten years later and still brought them back to life, removed Yorkshire from the Earth by charming the sea in a hundred miles and then stuffed Giggs' left foot down Ferguson's throat (hence why you don't see him on the telly).

Things starts to go wrong right under the masthead, where it says there's 60 million of us and 646 of them. There are 649 of them - if he means MPs. That's what they call a fact, and if someone can't be bothered to get them straight, I can't be bothered with any of their subsequent opinions.

Shame you didn't get as far as the comments bit at the bottom then, priceless.

Daily Mail's standards are slipping.

:lol:

I'm looking around that blog searching for the "Thursday mornings/being Spanish/coleslaw/dinosaurs/felt-tip pens will give you cancer" post.

Now all I'm wondering is which film the picture at the top is from.

If I'm right it's a short film where the woman goes to the pub to attract a certain bloke and leaves her kids outside the pub all night. On the bright side, you see her fanny when she's having a fight on the village green. This is going to annoy me all night.

Apart from that, it's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. I really I hope the writer's mental troubles can be dealt with, but I doubt it.

According to Wiki there are 650 members of the house of commons, which includes the speaker. Take away the 4 from Sinn Fein (since Gerry Adams resigned) and its 646. There are also 650 constituencies.

Now all I'm wondering is which film the picture at the top is from.

If I'm right it's a short film where the woman goes to the pub to attract a certain bloke and leaves her kids outside the pub all night. On the bright side, you see her fanny when she's having a fight on the village green. This is going to annoy me all night.

Hurrah, I wasn't imagining it. Wasp.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388534/

According to Wiki there are 650 members of the house of commons, which includes the speaker. Take away the 4 from Sinn Fein (since Gerry Adams resigned) and its 646. There are also 650 constituencies.

Ha! We're both wrong. There are 650 constituencies and 648 MPs - Belfast West and Inverclyde are vacant.

Both versions are a little crude really. I don't think you will find many people with a job who don't feel that there is too much of an entitlement culture at present, and both (all?) political parties know it too. What's to be done about it is the question.

I don't think you will find many people with a job who don't feel that there is too much of an entitlement culture at present, and both (all?) political parties know it too.

Basically... I'm alright jack so screw those who aren't... Tory mentality and the UK took the coolaid like they did in the 80s...

I warn you that you must not expect work – when many cannot spend, more will not be able to earn. When they don't earn, they don't spend. When they don't spend, work dies.

:rolleyes:

Basically... I'm alright jack so screw those who aren't...

Yep, if that's how you feel. Charity ought to be voluntary and not induced via coercion.

Basically... I'm alright jack so screw those who aren't prepared to get off their arse and do something constructive. Support those who genuinely can't.

No idea if this could be considered to be Tory / Lib Dem policy, as I'm fecked if I really understand what the policies are, but defining the line between idleness and genuine need would be a starting point.

No idea if this could be considered to be Tory / Lib Dem policy, as I'm fecked if I really understand what the policies are, but defining the line between idleness and genuine need would be a starting point.

Like putting people signed off by a medical expert on to job seekers because there is a small possibility of them doing a job which they will almost certainly not get due to that illness and the fact that the illness that narrows there option has stopped them building any work history :)

Boody Tories :)

Edited by oafc0000

Like putting people signed off by a medical expert on to job seekers because there is a small possibility of them doing a job which they will almost certainly not get due to that illness and the fact that the illness that narrows there option has stopped them building any work history :)

Anyone subscribe to the 'they all piss in the same pot and their all equally useless' school (although I well and truly despised Labour towards the end of their time in government moreso than the existing coalitionTory government propped up by Lib Dems)

Edited by Lookers_Carl

Anyone subscribe to the 'they all piss in the same pot and their all equally useless' school (although I well and truly despised Labour towards the end of their time in government moreso than the existing coalition)

I don't dislike many things more than the current coalition.

On one hand you are spot on, lots of people who have been off sick/ill will find it very hard to get work because they have been off sick/ill. In theory employers are not supposed to discriminate against those who are disabled (including those who are ill) and supposed to make reasonable adjustments. However, if 2 people of the same ability etc. and one has a record of ill health and the other one doesn't; who gets the job?

However, because you get more money through incapacity benefit there are people who go on the sick, and its easily done even the most hardened GP will give in eventually if you pester them enough, when they are capable of getting work. In fact studies have shown that a good way to get better if you are ill for a prolonged period of time is to work, unless contraindicated.

The country had very little money and the coalition is bringing out the stick, if the country gets a windfall (which it might in about 13 months) they might bring out the carrot in time for the next general election. Unfortunately for Labour, when they could have done with bringing out the stick it was much nearer a general election and they were rightly worried about not getting re-elected. Its a contrast between the two principles of social justice and beneficience, and Labour might get the rewards of the coalition being potentially too harsh at the next general election.

On one hand you are spot on, lots of people who have been off sick/ill will find it very hard to get work because they have been off sick/ill. In theory employers are not supposed to discriminate against those who are disabled (including those who are ill) and supposed to make reasonable adjustments. However, if 2 people of the same ability etc. and one has a record of ill health and the other one doesn't; who gets the job?

However, because you get more money through incapacity benefit there are people who go on the sick, and its easily done even the most hardened GP will give in eventually if you pester them enough, when they are capable of getting work. In fact studies have shown that a good way to get better if you are ill for a prolonged period of time is to work, unless contraindicated.

The country had very little money and the coalition is bringing out the stick, if the country gets a windfall (which it might in about 13 months) they might bring out the carrot in time for the next general election. Unfortunately for Labour, when they could have done with bringing out the stick it was much nearer a general election and they were rightly worried about not getting re-elected. Its a contrast between the two principles of social justice and beneficience, and Labour might get the rewards of the coalition being potentially too harsh at the next general election.

What windfall?

What windfall?

If the Olympics brings in more than it cost, the country could end getting a decent amount of money. Considering it cost about £9 billion then 1% of that is still about £100 million, which is a decent sum of money. However, I have no doubt that it is much more complicated than that.

@ zeros - if you want to speak for working class people, you need to stop speaking for none working people as if they were the same. You might kid the Independent readers but the people themselves who go out and work hard for lower wages know that there are people taking their tax money to sit on their arses. Whose side are you on?

I HAVE A DREAM.....that one day Yard Dog will be Prime Minister....and I will micro-chip in the neck every mother :censored:ing long-term benefits recipient with no physical disability. No longer will the benefits recipients get cash benefits - instead they will attend a clinic every day where they will be given a syringe full of genetically-modified, spaceman-type liquid food to give them enough nutrition to keep them going to the next day. No longer will they be able to go home to a spacious, well-built council house or state paid for private rented accommodation - instead they will be given a sleeping bag, tent and use of the Olympic Stadium.

I reckon it might save us a few bob.

Anyone protesting against these measures gets buried at sea with Bin Laden.

zeros - if you want to speak for working class people, you need to stop speaking for none working people as if they were the same. You might kid the Independent readers but the people themselves who go out and work hard for lower wages know that there are people taking their tax money to sit on their arses. Whose side are you on?

You see those on low incomes are also in the least stable employment - people who gave relied on benefits before and might well do so again in the near future. Cuts in benefits and the heavy stick approach to jobseeking while sick are as much an attack on low income workers as they are on people who don't work.