Dale Stephens

Is he definitely a goner? Or is he staying? My inkling is there is a bidding war going on for him, and we are holding out for the right amount. Its not often we have a player in such high demand, even Eardley was only ever rumoured to be interesting Blackpool. However a number of Championship clubs and failures of League 1 clubs are rumoured to be sniffing around, I feel we could genuinely hold out for a big deal, unless of course Stephens is waiting to see who we sign and Dickov has made it clear we will build our team around him?

Thoughts

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is he definitely a goner? Or is he staying? My inkling is there is a bidding war going on for him, and we are holding out for the right amount. Its not often we have a player in such high demand, even Eardley was only ever rumoured to be interesting Blackpool. However a number of Championship clubs and failures of League 1 clubs are rumoured to be sniffing around, I feel we could genuinely hold out for a big deal, unless of course Stephens is waiting to see who we sign and Dickov has made it clear we will build our team around him?

Thoughts

I'm pretty confident he will be starting the season with us. Nothing firm seems to have been placed for him. We'll probably lose him midway through the season if he has a good start.

If he stays we should be pretty solid in midfield, just defence, GK and attack we need to worry about.

I'm pretty confident he will be starting the season with us. Nothing firm seems to have been placed for him. We'll probably lose him midway through the season if he has a good start.

If he stays we should be pretty solid in midfield, just defence, GK and attack we need to worry about.

3/4 of our team then ? :lol:

then why on earth did we let him go out on loan for nothing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Surely Latics are not that naive to let him go on a loan without a fee (like we had to pay for Beckett) or a firm agreement for them to sign him ?

Edited by losesome

Surely Latics are not that naive to let him go on a loan without a fee (like we had to pay for Beckett) or a firm agreement for them to sign him ?

Don't you play Football Manager?!?

I would say we got a fee for the loan, with S'ton having an option to buy him for an agreed fee at the end of the loan. I am not basing this on anything except Football Manager, so prolly talking out of my backside :)

I am sure we got a loan fee for him?

I am sure we got a loan fee for him?

i seem to remember a SC interview after the last game where he emphasised the fact that we DIDN'T get a fee for him.

Said he was putting to bed all the stories that we let him go for money because there was a lot a scaremongering at the time that we didn't have enough to pay wages etc.

We did get a fee. AH or SC said so at the time.

i seem to remember a SC interview after the last game where he emphasised the fact that we DIDN'T get a fee for him.

Said he was putting to bed all the stories that we let him go for money because there was a lot a scaremongering at the time that we didn't have enough to pay wages etc.

I thought I heard SC or someone say that we got a very lucrative deal for the loan of Stephens. Otherwise what was the point in loaning him out?

I thought I heard SC or someone say that we got a very lucrative deal for the loan of Stephens. Otherwise what was the point in loaning him out?

I am convinced that when we were having the wages trouble and Stephens left , SC was on GMR to scotch any rumours that Stephens was sold to pay the wages . He then went on to say

"To show that its completely untrue i can tell you that we didn't even receive any fee for Stephens loan period"

He didn't mention anything about saints potentially signing him at the end of the season but i remember thinking at the time , we must have agreed a deal for the transfer if we haven't got a loan fee ?

I am convinced that when we were having the wages trouble and Stephens left , SC was on GMR to scotch any rumours that Stephens was sold to pay the wages . He then went on to say

"To show that its completely untrue i can tell you that we didn't even receive any fee for Stephens loan period"

He didn't mention anything about saints potentially signing him at the end of the season but i remember thinking at the time , we must have agreed a deal for the transfer if we haven't got a loan fee ?

We did get a fee but it wasn't paid until the end of the season. That came from Simon Corney at the last fans forum. I heard it with my own ears straight from Simons mouth.