How British are you?

Foreigners who want to become British have to read 'Life in the UK', a special book, and sit a 45-minute test on society, history and culture. Without reading the book, do you know what it is to be British? Could you pass the British Citizenship Test?

Sample Test

I'm ashamed to say I failed, I expect 'The Knock' any minute now…..

I'm all for making the test mandatory for everybody and deporting anyone who fails it to Ireland....

...and make it compulsory for them to support Irish football clubs, only being allowed to leave in the company of 'Irish John' and/or Dublin Blue, for the sole purpose of going to watch Latics and partaking of the drink thereby involved.

I got 75%, 18 out of 24 which is the pass mark.

17/24, although a couple I probably would have got if I wasnt rushing. My inner Fenian clearly sabotaged me. It is a load of crap though, unless you had a special interest in quite a few of them you would only be making your best guess.

Edited by leeslover

• 3 weeks later...

Got the first question right and then failed to see the connection between being British and knowing what % of the country is Muslim so gave up. Having to watch quite a lot of Cbeebies these days I've been labouring under the impression the country is about 40% white but it would appear the people at the BBC have been spinning me a lie. Or maybe they're just preparing the little uns for future realities.

ps - I am aware there are white muslims (just in case that's an extra fail point)

I got 13 out of 24

Such a juvenile way to decide who does or doesn't get to live in this country.

Most of these questions were absolutely absurd and unimportant. I mean why should anyone give a f*** when St George's day is, or in what year women were allowed to divorce their husbands?

My wife who is South African and has English as her first language has sat, and failed, this test twice. The test centre in Manchester is (or was) in Cheetham Hill and run by people of Asian descent. Curiously both times she sat the test there were people who appeared to have no grasp of English (but could chat to the adjudicators quite openly in a different language) who passed the test with no problems. Guess they must have spent their time on the plane over here studying really hard.

I got 13 out of 24

Such a juvenile way to decide who does or doesn't get to live in this country.

Most of these questions were absolutely absurd and unimportant. I mean why should anyone give a f*** when St George's day is, or in what year women were allowed to divorce their husbands?

And why on God's earth should anyone know what the record of parliamentary proceedings is called?