Latics v Blackpool

Smith will be very tricky to deal with. He looks a very good player so far but I hope we don't build our hopes up too much. He's not had a full season anywhere and might run out of puff as the season goes on. But he is very, very promising.

I also thought Reid did well today, looked much fitter than he has in the past and was a threat.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith looks a find, but before people start with the "20 goals a season", lets see how he gets on when the pressure is on. He was very good today.

Number 4 was a tidy player. Hardly gave it awway, kept things ticking over. Looked knackered late on and is obviously lacking fitness.

Diamond - very impressed with him. Calm on the ball, won everything. Lacks a bit of pace, but he read it well. Ok it was a friendly, but I liked what I saw. And was very vocal and telling people where to be.

Much better than anticipated.

When you look at the squad we have, it seems pretty effective and (injuries permitting) could do surprisingly well. It would be good if we could pick up this triallist, and I think we need another striker to avoid Smith being burdened with too much expectation. But, that apart, I think we're almost there with assembling our team for next season.

When you look at the squad we have, it seems pretty effective and (injuries permitting) could do surprisingly well. It would be good if we could pick up this triallist, and I think we need another striker to avoid Smith being burdened with too much expectation. But, that apart, I think we're almost there with assembling our team for next season.

Din't go to the game but first 11 sounds decentish! However, not to put a dampener on things but don't most players try harder in pre-season so as to impress the gaffer. Plus injuries are going to be a huge problem for us this season with such a tread bare squad.

Smith looked good today, few decent touches and won almost everything in the air. Reid looked better than last season, thought he could of scored early on, but was a good save by Gilks. The trialist midfielder was quiet but steady, did the job he needed to do, will get better as his english improves. Zander and M'voto look solid. Millar looks like he has put some muscle on this summer, Mellor looked decent, and scored a good free-kick. We moved the ball about nicely at times, and looked to play out to the wings. Looks like we have re-found some confidence for scoring, and if M'voto and Diamond stay fit for the season, i don't think we will concede too many. We finally look like a threat at corners when Millar took them in second half

all in all looking good but as good as our kids are they are only back-up in my eyes at the moment.

unless PD is happy with gerrard or one of the young keepers as cover then we need another GK

Another LB as cover for black

The CM trialisr didn't impress me, too slow with the ball and got caught many times - another 2 CM's needed for me.

As things stand we are ok up front numbers wise and reid/smith lok useful but beyond that we have nothing - brooke and bembo would be ok with smith as the target, but if he is injured then goals wise we are screwed.

ship Feeney out ASAP absolutely dire player and get another tallish/bulky guy with pace, be it a prem kid loanee, whatever.

so GK, LB, CM 2 and a ST if poss - 4 to 5 more needed be it loans/frees.

add those to the mix and we look very decent as a 1st 11 and with good back-up depth.

Smith looks a find, but before people start with the "20 goals a season", lets see how he gets on when the pressure is on. He was very good today.

Number 4 was a tidy player. Hardly gave it awway, kept things ticking over. Looked knackered late on and is obviously lacking fitness.

Diamond - very impressed with him. Calm on the ball, won everything. Lacks a bit of pace, but he read it well. Ok it was a friendly, but I liked what I saw. And was very vocal and telling people where to be.

Much better than anticipated.

If things carry on like this, you may have to change your signature... :shock:

I agree with your comments. Also, Taylor had the beating of Eardley all day long in defence and attack.

No sign of Josh Parker or Euan Holden today, the Spanish lad #4 alongside Furman was steady but unspectacular and the French? Lad with the hairdoo played last 20 mins at LB and showed a few nice touches.

Dikov constantly chewing the ear of the 4th official who gave as good as he got - can understand his stresses during a league game but during a friendly?

Ollie seemed disgusted with what I would guess was his first choice 11 during the 1st half and came out 2nd half with a completely different team and despite many or them being young reserves they were better than the first lot!

1500 home supporters and 300 away - Will Haining sat with us in main stand.

No sign of Josh Parker or Euan Holden today, the Spanish lad #4 alongside Furman was steady but unspectacular and the French? Lad with the hairdoo played last 20 mins at LB and showed a few nice touches.

Dikov constantly chewing the ear of the 4th official who gave as good as he got - can understand his stresses during a league game but during a friendly?

Ollie seemed disgusted with what I would guess was his first choice 11 during the 1st half and came out 2nd half with a completely different team and despite many or them being young reserves they were better than the first lot!

1500 home supporters and 300 away - Will Haining sat with us in main stand.

Parker is on international duty

My view...

Dale Connor - Nothing to do whilst he was on so carnt really give him a rating.

Paul Black - Played very well, some good movement with taylor down the left.

Zander Diamond - Solid at the back, lacks a little place but his ability of being in the right place in the right time will make up for it.

Jean Yves Mvoto - Solid, not much got past him. The partnership him and Diamond will have will a strikers worst nightmare.

Kerian Lee - Good defending and even better attacking. Linked up nicely with Filipe Morais.

Filipe Morais - Had a good game, didnt do enough to warrant wearing yellow boots :wink: but his normal trickery was on show to see which is good.

Marc Fernandez - Awesome passing two touches is all he needs. Abit of bitch screaming when he got touched but hey taylor does that!

Dean Furman - will shine again this yeah. Played well sprayed the ball about the pitch very well. Being captain will bring the best of him.

Chris Taylor - Had Neil Eardley in his back pocket all game defensivley and attacking he played well and floated a few balls in the box.

Matt Smith - This lad COULD be special. An old style english CF strong and looks like he knows where the net is.

Rebuen Reid - Is improving, needs more match time and i think he will be scoring a few next season.

From the subs only David Mellor and Carl Winchester made an impression for me.

Overall was a very good display and hopefully aload more to come!

If things carry on like this, you may have to change your signature... :shock:

I agree with your comments. Also, Taylor had the beating of Eardley all day long in defence and attack.

Gutted is probably the phrase I use more than any other - so its staying. When looking for a flag to buy to take to games, I looked at a few football falgs online and saw a "BORN TO MOAN" one with a teams badge on it from barmy flags. I was going to have one with the badge (new or old?) and GUTTED written above. I just don't know if many people would find it funny enough or whether its just my humour that would appreciate it.

Reid did more in the first 10 mins yesterday than he did in all last season whilst here. Keep it up Rueben and get even fitter. He will have to work and play hard to turn around the non believers. Some promising stuff yesterday without getting carried away. Zander looked good with big Jean and reminded me of Clint Hill to look at. Reid and Smith defo have something for PD to work on. Obviously Spanish Marc is gonna be signing soon and we need at least 2 more perms in and then it's looking towards the loan market. I can't see Feeney moving out until January but we could do with his wages back into PD 's budget.

Reid did more in the first 10 mins yesterday than he did in all last season whilst here. Keep it up Rueben and get even fitter. He will have to work and play hard to turn around the non believers. Some promising stuff yesterday without getting carried away. Zander looked good with big Jean and reminded me of Clint Hill to look at. Reid and Smith defo have something for PD to work on. Obviously Spanish Marc is gonna be signing soon and we need at least 2 more perms in and then it's looking towards the loan market. I can't see Feeney moving out until January but we could do with his wages back into PD 's budget.

agreed. His movement was much better. He gave an option. He anticipated flick ons would come. Ok he didn't always guess right, but that will come the more smith and him play together.

The finish from Smith looked simple BUT you have to be in the right place to make it look simple in the first place. Thats the exciting thing for me he looks LIKELY to score. Reid credit to the lad his Nandos doing the trick. I still dont know what he said in the interview "The pennys dropped with me" but to take a pay cut and want to stay deserves some credit.

Feeney well he appears a genuine bloke but surely must be thinking hang on I cant get in this team and need to put in a shift. He doesnt look hungry enough for success.

PD and GT are getting there with lots of great young players to develop further. Obviously some will make it and some wont but.... at least 5 or 6 look likely. The average age of team must be close to 21.

Think its closer to 18!

Its one of life's great mysteries, along with why ginger muffs smell a bit odd and frenchmen dont feel guilty about cheating on their wives.

Just spat a bit of tea over my desk when I read that.

Green tea too proving that I am uncouth, homosexual and a pansy all in three seconds work.