Burnley likely to move for Taylor?

Why would this increase his value to a potential buyer?

Because we'd have been able to hold on to Stephens for longer before he left for free, therefore allowing us to hold out for a higher fee (or at least that should have been our theory... <_< ).

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well no - the longer we get to May 2012 with no new deal, even if it is 1 more year to add to our bargaining power, the less we can be seen to demand or will get in reality.

Le Fondre at rotherham - they want 500k at this moment, get to jan and they cannot demand that money as he has 6 months left worth of contract, so they'd be getting offers of 2-300k - either they accept that or he is gone for nowt in May.

Sell CT now as we can demand the most. 750K plus is a very good deal, but REALISTICALLY i think Burnley would pitch in at 500k which, for 1 YEAR LEFT is a fair price.

Pilington, Bennet all 2+ years to run.

It is also not so much as to how much we sell for but what % goes straight to PD, for a fee/wages.

I think a fair split on 500k should be 50% to running costs and 50% to PD, so out of 500k he would be looking at 250k

Edited by shefflatic

corney said a few words about CT and a new deal at the fans match, said it as more about what Chris wants to do than ourselves and said his agent is a bit of a tommy tanker, so i doubt very much it is Eyresy, unless he has been turned into a bad agent!

regards us getting a fair price - we can forget 1million for him right now - he is never worth that despite him being a key cog in our wheel; being truthfully honest he is a good player at this level but true flair and technical ability wise he is not - take his pace away and his game is pretty much redundant, unlike Eyresy who had true ability with no need for pace.

As much as we all want to see 750k or minimum 500k, if Chris makes it clear he will leave in May should we not be in the Championship, purely for reasons of wanting to play there, then we will HAVE to sell him. As much as SC and AH may stand their rightful ground and say 750k, if clubs (knowing the contract situation) say 'no, we're offering 400k no more' and no one else bids higher, the club is then having to accept that amount offered; fair price/rightful value aside.

My point is, we do not know what goes on with regard to transfer fee negotiation of outgoing players - we may very well be demanding top price as quoted on here i.e. 750k but as above if the player then forces the clubs hand and we have to sell, we can ONLY sell for the amount being offered regardless of whether or not we as fans or the club itself agrees that that is not a fair enough offer.

Should he go, and for an 'undisclosed', we will undoubtedly hear 'its 350k plus add-ons'.

The club will then be slagged off for underselling etc, but if as above Chris states he will walk, then the club HAS to accept that amount or if seen to let him go for nowt, again they would be slagged off.

Whatever he may/will go for, there is no point moaning about it - as fans we cannot influence it in any way and much as PD would have to do, we have to accept it, that's how much he has gone for, and that's that - should the above happen it is very much the club being damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Stephens is slightly different - unless we truthfully needed the money to avoid meltdown, then the reported £350k for someone with 2 years on contraact and his potential should have gone for 500k minimum; we got 500k from Trotman who played 20 good games for god's sake, so yes in this regard the club sold short even if Stephens intimated a desire to move on.

Edited by shefflatic

Because we'd have been able to hold on to Stephens for longer before he left for free, therefore allowing us to hold out for a higher fee (or at least that should have been our theory... <_< ).

That's his value to us, not his value to a potential buyer. If we double the price of an asset for whatever reason then the other club will offer a fee for someone else or higher wages to a free transfer.

I agree that it would be a big loss for the team and i also agree that he is worth at least 500k seen as though we turned down that amount a few seasons ago i think from Leeds United and he is as good if not better than he was then so we should get the same or more amount of money. However even though he is a good player i don't see him being a Championship player who could then move into the Premier League with Burnley, i reckon he is a player who can play at the Championship level at best so even though it would be a loss if we get a good sum of money then i could see the benefits of selling him as long as we re-invest the money and actually spend it which hasn't happened when we sold Spencer, Abbott, Eaves or Stephens etc!

corney said a few words about CT and a new deal at the fans match, said it as more about what Chris wants to do than ourselves and said his agent is a bit of a tommy tanker, so i doubt very much it is Eyresy, unless he has been turned into a bad agent!

regards us getting a fair price - we can forget 1million for him right now - he is never worth that despite him being a key cog in our wheel; being truthfully honest he is a good player at this level but true flair and technical ability wise he is not - take his pace away and his game is pretty much redundant, unlike Eyresy who had true ability with no need for pace.

As much as we all want to see 750k or minimum 500k, if Chris makes it clear he will leave in May should we not be in the Championship, purely for reasons of wanting to play there, then we will HAVE to sell him. As much as SC and AH may stand their rightful ground and say 750k, if clubs (knowing the contract situation) say 'no, we're offering 400k no more' and no one else bids higher, the club is then having to accept that amount offered; fair price/rightful value aside.

My point is, we do not know what goes on with regard to transfer fee negotiation of outgoing players - we may very well be demanding top price as quoted on here i.e. 750k but as above if the player then forces the clubs hand and we have to sell, we can ONLY sell for the amount being offered regardless of whether or not we as fans or the club itself agrees that that is not a fair enough offer.

Should he go, and for an 'undisclosed', we will undoubtedly hear 'its 350k plus add-ons'.

The club will then be slagged off for underselling etc, but if as above Chris states he will walk, then the club HAS to accept that amount or if seen to let him go for nowt, again they would be slagged off.

Whatever he may/will go for, there is no point moaning about it - as fans we cannot influence it in any way and much as PD would have to do, we have to accept it, that's how much he has gone for, and that's that - should the above happen it is very much the club being damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Stephens is slightly different - unless we truthfully needed the money to avoid meltdown, then the reported £350k for someone with 2 years on contraact and his potential should have gone for 500k minimum; we got 500k from Trotman who played 20 good games for god's sake, so yes in this regard the club sold short even if Stephens intimated a desire to move on.

To be fair I would say Taylor has more than just pace.. his goals and assists last year were not down to just 'pace' In my view Taylor is nearly or even as good as Pilkington.. but our Board who don't have a spine will be willing to sell him for probably 400k, this is shown by Stephens and Eardley who were both sold for pittance money for me.. we should be looking for 750- 800k for Taylor.

I wouldn't take everything Corney says at face value. Word was in January he desperately wanted Taylor to leave, accepting an offer from Scunthorpe, but Taylor refused to go, much to Corney's disappointment.

personally think we'd get the best value for him if we offered a new contract and he had another good season before selling him next year in the same contractual position but increased experience/value. we've sold stephens so we've got our 'annual' transfer fee aswell as smalleys compo. ('annual' as in recieving £300k+ for eardley, eaves, stephens etc)

i'd be offering him a new deal as soon as possible. dickov looks to be doing well and as a Latic he'll see that and hopefully use his heart over head to sign if we offer. if we havent offered a new contract then there's something not right.

if i were him, i'd stick around for another season unless he was forced out or there was an offer too good to refuse. blackpool/burnley are bigger clubs, but i cant see either not consolidating their parachute payments and having another shot at them prem in a year or two which i couldnt see him prefer to the possibility of latics pushing for promotion. and theyre hardly more attractive places to play than oldham.

if we were to sell him, £250k was accepted in Jan and clubs will see that, and what eardley/stephens went for. £500k would be acceptable IMO, but the club should be starting at closer to £1million.

Agree with Harry Bosch, why let ourselves get ripped off... All this talk of 750 k being too much is a joke. He's performed consistantly at this level for 5 years barr one season, scores double figures playing in midfield and lays on so many more. I don't think it's that unrealistic to label Taylor a million pound player.. Personally be gutted to see him go, massively important to the team and no way we could replace what he brings with the amount we'd be willing to spend.

Agree with Harry Bosch, why let ourselves get ripped off... All this talk of 750 k being too much is a joke. He's performed consistantly at this level for 5 years barr one season, scores double figures playing in midfield and lays on so many more. I don't think it's that unrealistic to label Taylor a million pound player.. Personally be gutted to see him go, massively important to the team and no way we could replace what he brings with the amount we'd be willing to spend.

^^^

True

Our best player imo! I'd be pissed if we sold him.

/\ This,

Taylor is a proven player now; we're not talking potential anymore - he's the real deal in league 1 terms now. 5+ years experience, goals & assists and also he has had the captains armband here. IMO he could easily make the step up to Championship; easily.

Football transfers are / have gone crazy; and there are always deals where you end up scratching your head at how much a player has gone for (both high & low values).........but IMO; if Taylor goes for any less than £750K - £900K bracket which I place him in (and lots of others too judging from this thread); the the club have under-sold themselves & the player.

I actually hope we stay strong & can keep hold of CT; plus offering him a new deal. He is that important to us IMO. He is one of; if not the best player on our books, he's a local lad & he's "one of us"....those points added up mean to me, he is a key player and also a very difficuly player to replace (if we ever could?)

Big season for him this one; he's put the nightmare season working under Dangerous Dave behind him; and had a very solid; very good 1st season working under PD. I fully expect him to better last season's goal tally; and also add to his assists totals too this season; with the experience & knowledge gained from last year working with PD & his team. I want us to keep hold of him, as I think he's going to have a cracking season......

^^^

True

Our best player imo! I'd be pissed if we sold him.

Why? One year left, proably wont sign a new contract. To be fair it would be silly not to sell him now.

Is he more of a match winner than say, Morais? I'd cash in on 350k plus and I'm sure the board will.

£350,000 ?? really ? bloody hell i bet you'd also sell someone like cody mcdonald for £100,000 wouldnt you.

/\ This,

Taylor is a proven player now; we're not talking potential anymore - he's the real deal in league 1 terms now. 5+ years experience, goals & assists and also he has had the captains armband here. IMO he could easily make the step up to Championship; easily.

Football transfers are / have gone crazy; and there are always deals where you end up scratching your head at how much a player has gone for (both high & low values).........but IMO; if Taylor goes for any less than £750K - £900K bracket which I place him in (and lots of others too judging from this thread); the the club have under-sold themselves & the player.

I actually hope we stay strong & can keep hold of CT; plus offering him a new deal. He is that important to us IMO. He is one of; if not the best player on our books, he's a local lad & he's "one of us"....those points added up mean to me, he is a key player and also a very difficuly player to replace (if we ever could?)

Big season for him this one; he's put the nightmare season working under Dangerous Dave behind him; and had a very solid; very good 1st season working under PD. I fully expect him to better last season's goal tally; and also add to his assists totals too this season; with the experience & knowledge gained from last year working with PD & his team. I want us to keep hold of him, as I think he's going to have a cracking season......

Agree, the fact he is an oldham fan, adds to his value, more than any other player, as Taylor will always play with that bit more passion and fight in games for us, and as we have seen in the past, he isn't that keen on leaving us for another club.

Is he more of a match winner than say, Morais? I'd cash in on 350k plus and I'm sure the board will.

He can be. He adds more to our game than any other player we have.

Why? One year left, proably wont sign a new contract. To be fair it would be silly not to sell him now.

£350,000 ?? really ? bloody hell i bet you'd also sell someone like cody mcdonald for £100,000 wouldnt you.

Taylor isn't likely to shaft the club out of a hundred grand. Best thing would be to offer him a new long-term contract now (along with Furman and Lee!) and if he rejects it now, we can sell him now, rather than in January when his value would be half as much as it now, due to only 6 months left.

Agree that £350k is way to low, double that should be the starting point.

Taylor isn't likely to shaft the club out of a hundred grand. Best thing would be to offer him a new long-term contract now (along with Furman and Lee!) and if he rejects it now, we can sell him now, rather than in January when his value would be half as much as it now, due to only 6 months left.

Agree that £350k is way to low, double that should be the starting point.

But who's to say that a club will come in for him in January? Touch wood he could get injured in October a be out until march april then he goes for free? All this he aint going to shaft us etc yeah i agree he wont if he can help it. I agree with offering him a contract but you should know that the club dont do pro active thinking like that!

By the way Lee has just signed an extension hasnt he?

SIGN FURMAN UP!!!!!!!

But who's to say that a club will come in for him in January? Touch wood he could get injured in October a be out until march april then he goes for free? All this he aint going to shaft us etc yeah i agree he wont if he can help it. I agree with offering him a contract but you should know that the club dont do pro active thinking like that!

By the way Lee has just signed an extension hasnt he?

SIGN FURMAN UP!!!!!!!

Just saying, best for us to find out now what his intentions are, and if they are to stay with us, he can sign up now. And to be fair to the club, they did secure Stephens early on last season, but Taylor need's to be sorted now, as we won't get compo for him.

Yeah Lee has recently signed, but its only until the end of the season, but he is one of our most consisent and best performers. Getting Taylor, Lee and Furman onto new long term deals now, enable us to be in a good position if anyone wants to sign them. Also show's a statement of intent from the club, showing that we want our best players. Also good in the eyes of potential signings if they can see our best players will be here for a while.

Just saying, best for us to find out now what his intentions are, and if they are to stay with us, he can sign up now. And to be fair to the club, they did secure Stephens early on last season, but Taylor need's to be sorted now, as we won't get compo for him.

Yeah Lee has recently signed, but its only until the end of the season, but he is one of our most consisent and best performers. Getting Taylor, Lee and Furman onto new long term deals now, enable us to be in a good position if anyone wants to sign them. Also show's a statement of intent from the club, showing that we want our best players. Also good in the eyes of potential signings if they can see our best players will be here for a while.

That was a little different with Stephens, we didnt really know that clubs wanted him for deffo. He started like a house on fire then we gave him a contract for 4 years or what ever it was. Taylor has been linked with every club for a few years now but with interest becoming more and more and clubs actually putting bids in then we should be tieing hiim up to a contract but i carnt see it happening and him going for peanuts.

That was a little different with Stephens, we didnt really know that clubs wanted him for deffo. He started like a house on fire then we gave him a contract for 4 years or what ever it was. Taylor has been linked with every club for a few years now but with interest becoming more and more and clubs actually putting bids in then we should be tieing hiim up to a contract but i carnt see it happening and him going for peanuts.

which is why the club should use their brains and offer him one now, if he rejects then we can sell now for the highest price.. rather than offering him in jan nd him rejectin then and us trying to sell him on cheap.. or waiting until next summer and risk losing for nothing..