We need to strengthen - Dickov

I think that is called stating the bleeding obvious :shock:

It is, but at least he's said it. It contradicts what he's said in the past a little bit about the smaller, tighter squad and us having more quality this year than last year, but I'm glad he has said it as hopefully he's realised what most posters on this board have.

Although we're never going to have 4k-a-week players I think some of the Stephens money needs reinvesting in a couple of players with experience and who have played at a higher level (there seems to be plenty available).

I read not long ago that this squad was better than last seasons in Dickov's opinion. I laughed when I read it but I think it was just him trying to hype the team up.

Key phrase "becasue we are two or three short, maybe more"

Glad he's putting a bit of pressure on Corney to get someone in. The way I see it is we're already down with this squad but with a goalscorer or 2 and a couple more midfielders we may just stay up.

This is going to be a long old season.

Edited by Kingdingaling

The subs bench scares me - confirms the lack of depth, so I agree we need a bigger squad.

But where we need to strengthen most is in the mental approach to the game. Get stuck in more. Pressure the opponents more. Make it happen. Concentrate for the whole game, not just 75 minutes of it.

The subs bench scares me - confirms the lack of depth, so I agree we need a bigger squad.

But where we need to strengthen most is in the mental approach to the game. Get stuck in more. Pressure the opponents more. Make it happen. Concentrate for the whole game, not just 75 45 minutes of it.

It is, but at least he's said it. It contradicts what he's said in the past a little bit about the smaller, tighter squad and us having more quality this year than last year, but I'm glad he has said it as hopefully he's realised what most posters on this board have.

Although we're never going to have 4k-a-week players I think some of the Stephens money needs reinvesting in a couple of players with experience and who have played at a higher level (there seems to be plenty available).

'It contradicts what he's said in the past a little bit about the smaller, tighter squad'

Not really, to be fair even with 3 or 4 additions we will still be 4 or 5 players less than last season.

Don't think it matters if he tells us or not. He's been trying to get players in for the whole of pre season and it seems pretty obvious he's been messed about by players more than once.

Completely agree.

Peopel are commenting as if he has not tried.

He has consistently said he will make sure it is quality additions and that is right.

Worth holding out for.

1 quality and right players is worth 10 not right ones.

Don't think it matters if he tells us or not. He's been trying to get players in for the whole of pre season and it seems pretty obvious he's been messed about by players more than once.

'it seems pretty obvious he's been messed about by players more than once'.

You can't blame players for trying to get the best deal for themselves. It's all very well saying he wants players to buy into what we're trying to do at Latics rather than players chasing the dollar. If you're a striker, and in demand, of course you're going to try and get the best deal you can....it's simple human nature.

What would you do in that situation.....take £1500 and buy into Dickov's vision or £2500 a week somewhere else and see what happens. The vast majority of clubs in our division want promotion so I really can't see why signing for Dickov is such a big deal.

For us, a proven striker and dominant midfielder would almost certainly be the difference between a relegation scrap and a possible playoff place.

If we stick around the bottom of the table for the rest of the season our crowds will be down to 3500/4000, if we are on the fringes of the promotion pack it may be 4500 and possibly more. That equates to about £8000 of extra money every other week...about £170,000 over the 21 games remaining. A speculative splash into the transfer market would easily pay for itself over a season hopefully with a little bit over.

We've gone into the last few seasons with very poor attacking players and scoring and creating goals has been a massive problem. Crowds want to see goalmouth incidents and plenty of attacking football, but more importantly they want to see goals....it's a no brainer, we must become a bigger threat going forward otherwise, inevitably, crowds will reduce still further.

I'm not advocating we spend silly money but if we can balance the extra outgoings with extra punters through the turnstyle surely it has to be worth a little speculation.

Whilst I know we haven't got a pot to pi** in, we already have a much smaller squad than last year in Dickov's "quality before quantity" statement so there must be a few bob available for the right players. We need to show a little more ambition and show Latics fans that we are really giving it a go this season. I am certain that if you improve the product on the pitch it will be more than subsidised with the extra matchday revenue!

One things certain, if we don't get the right players in soon we will end up doing what we've done for a few years now, desperately trying to sign the best of what's left!!