How Oldham Athletic's pinch-me season won over a nation

Yeah it did, but how does it compare to the advantage the likes of Man U and Liverpool have with their big gates. Didn't Man U go a couple of seasons without having a penalty given against them at OT, something which strikes me as an anomaly and its a brave ref that turns down a possible penalty claim for Liverpool in front of the Kop now, nevermind then. Or how about Stoke and their very narrow pitch at the Brittania, I'm guessing when they loose their long throw in men it might get wider.

Home advantage is what you make of it, it wasn't like they turned up to find the heating off in the middle of winter, the opposition could have prepared for it and on many occassions their preparation was lacking +/- they were beaten by the better side.

Even that year the two games we played at top flight opposition we drew, Arsenal the reigning champions lost at both grounds in the league.

Im surprised no one has commented on the mention of Nick Henry's disallowed goal that the officials had a bias towards to opposition.

They went just short of 11 years without conceding a penalty - Ruel Fox scored a pen for Norwich in Dec '93, before Danny Murphy finally converted one for Liverpool in April '04. During that spell there were only 3 other penalties awarded against Utd at OT, (All missed by Juniho. Muzzy Izzet and David Dunn)

They went just short of 11 years without conceding a penalty - Ruel Fox scored a pen for Norwich in Dec '93, before Danny Murphy finally converted one for Liverpool in April '04. During that spell there were only 3 other penalties awarded against Utd at OT, (All missed by Juniho. Muzzy Izzet and David Dunn)

That is highly impressive as per usual Prozac.

Im surprised no one has commented on the mention of Nick Henry's disallowed goal that the officials had a bias towards to opposition.

ManUre season ticket holder Joe Worrall, who failed to award the goal when Nicky Henry's shot crossed the line in the first half of the F.A. Cup semi-final replay against ManUre at Maine Road. :ranting:

Great article and also great to read the comments - many from non 'tics - about the memories of the team and football in general at that time.

Feel blessed to have seen Latics through those years, makes the pain and suffering now bearable [just]. Feel for those too young to have seen this time in our history - hope you get some good times as well.

I was 12 in the 89-90 season - the perfect age in my opinion to really appreciate the golden years! In my opinion, on our day we were the best team in the land for 6 months or so, proved by when we beat arsenal the then champions! I feel privelidged to have lived through those years.

My first game was against Oxford United. My dad took me to watch us thrash them 3-0 and we stood in the RRE where I took up my place behind the big yellow gate giving it the big'gun to the Oxford keeper with the older kids! I'll always remember that game for the greatest goal line clearance I've ever seen. Leading 3-0 with around 10-15 mins to go, Oxford striker broke free and found himself 1 on 1 with the Latics No1, whom he promptly rounded and slotted from just inside the area. Out of nowhere Paul Warhurst came steaming in at full pelt and with the ball on the goal line, he somehow managed to scoop the ball over the cross bar for a corner and thus preserving Latics clean sheet.

My next game was a gritty 1-1 draw with Millwall and that was the first time there was real atmosphere around Boundary Park. My dad had told me to stay close to him when we was walking down Sheep Foot Lane, which I duly did and to avoid the travelling idiots my dad took me into the George Hill Stand.

It was the atmosphere that day against Millwall that kept me hooked and I used to go home and pretend I was my hero: Andy Ritchie. Getting the full kit and rolling my socks up for a kick about with the other Latics fans on the estate (which back then was the majority of kids). I later joined Junior Latics for pretty much our entire top flight existence and was lucky enough to be mascot for Latics against Notts Forrest on Saturday 30th January 1993 at the City Ground.

For any of the tic's on here who wasn't as privileged as me to see Latics in the top flight and also see some amazing football, I hope one day that our club can go on and do "a Blackpool". It's truly an amazing experience, that I dearly miss now.

I was 12 in the 89-90 season - the perfect age in my opinion to really appreciate the golden years! In my opinion, on our day we were the best team in the land for 6 months or so, proved by when we beat arsenal the then champions! I feel privelidged to have lived through those years.

Same here mate, I was 13 in Feb '90…..

The better teams, particularly those that won promotion and Spurs in the Cup, came to BP and were victorious on the plastic. Derby won at BP in the League and ZDS. Lesser teams were afraid of it, even though many of them trained on plastic.

I remember singing "We can play on grass as well" as Latics beat Chelsea 3-0 in the first the top flight game at BP for 68 years. Happy days! :grin:

What a strange (yet surreal and a fantastic) experience that evening was, seats in the Chaddy End and grass at BP, I'd only ever known Plastic Paradise and I had to stand in the RRE….what a great night though….even David "Chicken' Currie scored…..I am privileged to have witnessed that, and so many of our great days in the top flight….

Edited by oafcprozac

Same here mate, I was 13 in Feb '90…..

Aye 89 to 94 was my 5 years at Senior school. I remember one particular morning in 1993. I couldn't get into school quickly enough (rare for me) to give it to all the united fans after we beat table toppers united. Made all the sweeter as we were bottom and united top! Memories!

Great article and also great to read the comments - many from non 'tics - about the memories of the team and football in general at that time.

Feel blessed to have seen Latics through those years, makes the pain and suffering now bearable [just]. Feel for those too young to have seen this time in our history - hope you get some good times as well.

No disrespect to the article, but the reader's comments are the best thing. Makes you realise again just how far and great the impact of that side was on football fans around the world at that time....

Edited by Yard Dog

Aye 89 to 94 was my 5 years at Senior school. I remember one particular morning in 1993. I couldn't get into school quickly enough (rare for me) to give it to all the united fans after we beat table toppers united. Made all the sweeter as we were bottom and united top! Memories!

Ironic that i'm now a History Teacher, as History was the lesson I used to bunk off from most Friday mornings to secure my tickets for that weekends big game….

The better teams, particularly those that won promotion and Spurs in the Cup, came to BP and were victorious on the plastic. Derby won at BP in the League and ZDS. Lesser teams were afraid of it, even though many of them trained on plastic.

I remember singing "We can play on grass as well" as Latics beat Chelsea 3-0 in the first the top flight game at BP for 68 years. Happy days! :grin:

I thought the best example of that song was stuffing Pompey 4-1 at Fratton Park after their Manager had said in his program notes that Oldham could only play on the plastic. If the legend is true, Big Joe didn't give a team talk that day, he just pinned that article up on the dressing room wall :grin:

My first game was against Oxford United. My dad took me to watch us thrash them 3-0 and we stood in the RRE where I took up my place behind the big yellow gate giving it the big'gun to the Oxford keeper with the older kids! I'll always remember that game for the greatest goal line clearance I've ever seen. Leading 3-0 with around 10-15 mins to go, Oxford striker broke free and found himself 1 on 1 with the Latics No1, whom he promptly rounded and slotted from just inside the area. Out of nowhere Paul Warhurst came steaming in at full pelt and with the ball on the goal line, he somehow managed to scoop the ball over the cross bar for a corner and thus preserving Latics clean sheet.

My next game was a gritty 1-1 draw with Millwall and that was the first time there was real atmosphere around Boundary Park. My dad had told me to stay close to him when we was walking down Sheep Foot Lane, which I duly did and to avoid the travelling idiots my dad took me into the George Hill Stand.

It was the atmosphere that day against Millwall that kept me hooked and I used to go home and pretend I was my hero: Andy Ritchie. Getting the full kit and rolling my socks up for a kick about with the other Latics fans on the estate (which back then was the majority of kids). I later joined Junior Latics for pretty much our entire top flight existence and was lucky enough to be mascot for Latics against Notts Forrest on Saturday 30th January 1993 at the City Ground.

For any of the tic's on here who wasn't as privileged as me to see Latics in the top flight and also see some amazing football, I hope one day that our club can go on and do "a Blackpool". It's truly an amazing experience, that I dearly miss now.

I was at that Oxford game - wasn't their 'keeper folically challenged and had to put up with 45 mins of "You bald b*****d!" from the Chaddy?

We thrashed Watford at home, around about the same time, (4-1?) and Redfearn scored with a belting lob over David James.

I was at that Oxford game - wasn't their 'keeper folically challenged and had to put up with 45 mins of "You bald b*****d!" from the Chaddy?

We thrashed Watford at home, around about the same time, (4-1?) and Redfearn scored with a belting lob over David James.

He did it twice that game I think, made James look like a right arse!

He did it twice that game I think, made James look like a right arse!

Redders got one, first time James had ever been chipped and it was years before anyone did it again!

David Holdsworth put them one up, Stitch equalised with a pen, then quickly backheeled us in front, Redders' chip then Nick Henry rounded it off late on...

Edited by oafcprozac

Paul Kee..Northern Irish Keeper...

Edited by oafcprozac

Redders got one, first time James had ever been chipped and it was years before anyone did it again!

James wasn't very good on corners either. He let one in for Liverpool to help keep Latics in the Prem League, and he did the same for Citeh, although it was mysteriously disallowed, when Latics won in the F.A. Cup thanks to Scott Vernon's goal.

James wasn't very good on corners either. He let one in for Liverpool to help keep Latics in the Prem League, and he did the same for Citeh, although it was mysteriously disallowed, when Latics won in the F.A. Cup thanks to Scott Vernon's goal.

I remember his late season blunders from corners in 96/97 that effectively cost Liverpool the title, two v Man Utd (Pallister heading in a brace) and a similar error saw Dion Dublin score at Anfield.

It was two at BP, beaten to one and he dropped one over the line - one each for Beckford and Olney

I echo the sentiments, great days, great read and oh what great legs Mr Barrett & Mr Warhurst...:grin:

Well I was 19 in 1990, what else is a young lass to oggle on a cold night at BP....

Ricky Holden for me an oh yes the Throw in/roll off the back of the UTD player is my memory off that game...wonder if we can adopt that now as no bugger comes for throw ins this days.

Happy days.....glad i was one of the "pinch me" fans.

Speaking of Neil Redfern - we sold him in the summer of 1991, correct!? Why did we sell him, did he have a falling out with Royle?

According to Redders book JR wanted him to play on the right, Redders felt that after 17 goals from CM he deserved his shot in the middle - but as we'd re-signed Spike, it was never going to happen. First week in September '91 he demanded a transfer and was allowed to go on loan to Barnsley, soon after made permanent and quickly followed by David Currie arriving at Oakwell. Redders does concede in his book that he was too hasty and that is his one regret in his career - not seeing how things turned out at BP (Even though he became an Oakwell legend)