Was anyone on here at this game?

yep was there in the back of the chaddy end - was a mad day - went for an underaged pint or two in the Golden Eagle on Rochdale Rd - long since demolished but was a good traditional boozer - West Brom fans everywhere all totally bladdered and falling out of cars / vans / minibuses etc along Rochdale Rd. Chaddy End had a small gang of Bolton scroates in cheering for the Latics as if we won they would get promotion IIRC - West Brom deservedly won and it was mayhem - and to cap iy all the Bolton fans got a well deserved kicking for their arrogance. I remember leaving past the RRE and no WBA fans at all as they were still in the ground - think it was 'interesting' later on in the town centre tho !

:bobby: :bobby:

yep was there in the back of the chaddy end - was a mad day - went for an underaged pint or two in the Golden Eagle on Rochdale Rd - long since demolished but was a good traditional boozer - West Brom fans everywhere all totally bladdered and falling out of cars / vans / minibuses etc along Rochdale Rd. Chaddy End had a small gang of Bolton scroates in cheering for the Latics as if we won they would get promotion IIRC - West Brom deservedly won and it was mayhem - and to cap iy all the Bolton fans got a well deserved kicking for their arrogance. I remember leaving past the RRE and no WBA fans at all as they were still in the ground - think it was 'interesting' later on in the town centre tho !

:bobby: :bobby:

I was also in the Chaddy and I remember Latics nearly scoring in the dying minutes, which would have kept West Brom down and wondering what the hell would have happened had it gone in.

IIRC that was the biggest crowd of the season around 22,000 with 15,000 from West Brom. They shut the RRE near to kick off as it was "considered" full (that was in the days before the introduction of crowd control computers) only for the West Brom fans to then start piling into the Chaddy end and march up the side of the pitch to the RRE. It would never happen now. I remember having an "interesting" conversation with a bit of a meat head West Brom fan in the paddock.

Notlob were at Charlton that day and there were indeed several of their fans in the Chaddy. Looked tasty at times. :wink:

IIRC that was the biggest crowd of the season around 22,000 with 15,000 from West Brom. They shut the RRE near to kick off as it was "considered" full (that was in the days before the introduction of crowd control computers) only for the West Brom fans to then start piling into the Chaddy end and march up the side of the pitch to the RRE. It would never happen now. I remember having an "interesting" conversation with a bit of a meat head West Brom fan in the paddock.

Notlob were at Charlton that day and there were indeed several of their fans in the Chaddy. Looked tasty at times. :wink:

Happy Days Harry!

I think we had around 25000 for the Notlob home game on Boxing Day - and that lived up to its name....

I remember talking to a WBA fan during the game who marvelled at the brilliant Alan Groves.

West Brom were very clever that day. We were playing 4-2-4 under Friz and Andy Lockhead, with Les Chapman + 1 (cant just recall who) in midfield and Len Cantello took out Chappie with a dead leg in the 1st couple of minutes.

I remember playing against Cantello some years later on the artificial at BP and chatting with him after the game when he admitted that it was a pre match discussion to take Chapman out with the aim of starving Groves of possession.

Dirty Brummie B'stards.

The defeat was made easier by the fact that Notlob were denied promotion though. Having said that as a 15 year old I hated any defeat. Still show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Yes, awesome sight to see all the west brom fans packed like sardines in the rocky road end and the bedlam when they scored.

Remember it well Steve.....with Rick and Col if I recall

I remember being swept on to the pitch and being kicked on the thigh by a West Brom fan. I fell on his scarf and it came off his wrist. I dined on that green and yellow scarf and how I "acquired" it for several home games after that...until somebody nicked it off me.....The fish was how big????? Lets never speak of it again!

Edited by L1onheart