new stadium

We are hopefully getting a new stadium......stand by stand. Simon Corney said on LW that the intention was to build 4 new stands hopefully within the next few years. Obviously it will depend on investment but if it comes off we will have the best of both worlds with a new stadium in what is our spiritual home!

We are hopefully getting a new stadium......stand by stand. Simon Corney said on LW that the intention was to build 4 new stands hopefully within the next few years. Obviously it will depend on investment but if it comes off we will have the best of both worlds with a new stadium in what is our spiritual home!

I've bolded the key words.

I'm intrigued as to where the money is going to come from for the first new stand, let alone the other three. As for Chaddy End and the old Main Stand, the "ten years" stated by Corney sounded like "we'll get round to them when we can". Which means they'll be left to rot until condemned.

I want them to stay at BP. I hope "the plan" - whatever it is - comes together and I hope Boundary Park becomes a sustainable option. If it can't be done that way, I'm open to a better alternative of a new stadium in a sensible location, if it can be found.

watching brighton v liverpool on tv at the moment. Still think we need a new stadium as that will provide us with a fresh start all round. Much as i love boundary park and walking down sheepfoot lane with my dad i think its time we moved on. Spoken from the heart.

Thoughts anyone?

I don’t think you will get any disagreement from anyone in wanting a bright new shiny stadium. However it’s not the wanting it that’s the issue.

I went to Colchester's flatpack stadium a few weeks back. The stadium in Failsworth was pretty much going to look like that.

For Colchester it is a vast improvement on Layer Road, but there used to be an atmosphere of sorts there. At the new stadium the A12 was louder than the crowds. The atmosphere is fake and crowds are dropping, there was hardly anyone there. The new stadium for Colchester will help them compete better in this league where as in the past they've always struggled against relegation.

We are a bigger club than Colchester, but I feel we had a lucky escape with Failsworth, I fear we could have ended up in the same situation as Colchester. We could compete in a higher league but a new stadium like we were going to get would have condemned us this league or lower.

If you build a new stadium it has to be something everyone is proud to call home. Brighton's ground is different, it has character which Colchester's doesn't and why Brighton will now thrive and grow.

Unless we got something similar which with major investment we won't we are better to stay at our home BP and modernise that. If can modernise BP then I think we can grow again.

I went to Colchester's flatpack stadium a few weeks back. The stadium in Failsworth was pretty much going to look like that.

For Colchester it is a vast improvement on Layer Road, but there used to be an atmosphere of sorts there. At the new stadium the A12 was louder than the crowds. The atmosphere is fake and crowds are dropping, there was hardly anyone there. The new stadium for Colchester will help them compete better in this league where as in the past they've always struggled against relegation.

We are a bigger club than Colchester, but I feel we had a lucky escape with Failsworth, I fear we could have ended up in the same situation as Colchester. We could compete in a higher league but a new stadium like we were going to get would have condemned us this league or lower.

If you build a new stadium it has to be something everyone is proud to call home. Brighton's ground is different, it has character which Colchester's doesn't and why Brighton will now thrive and grow.

Unless we got something similar which with major investment we won't we are better to stay at our home BP and modernise that. If can modernise BP then I think we can grow again.

The reality is that less money will likely be spent on the refurb of BP than would have been on Failsworth. Therefore i'm not sure how what we 'could' be getting will be any better than what Col U have got now.

The reality is that less money will likely be spent on the refurb of BP than would have been on Failsworth. Therefore i'm not sure how what we 'could' be getting will be any better than what Col U have got now.

We won't be moving grounds so we wouldn't lose what atmosphere we have, I fear it would have been worse had we moved and not turned it into home. I know the only plans currently are for a new Broadway Stand but to have 4 stands again will be great for the club.

Actually the long term plans are for four new stands, with the broadway stand being the first, and the existing main stand being the next one I believe.

That depends on your definition of 'plan' though, doesn't it? The only plan that really appears to be anywhere near concrete is for one stand only.

Grounds dont make the atmosphere, fans do.

Always makes me laugh when our fans go to doncaster or sumat for a LDV Vans game, with 800 people in the ground, and declare it a 'soul less bowl'

I can confirm 100% that, right this second, brightons new ground is a soul less bowl, because its silent and empty.

This is a very good point that seems to keep getting glossed over. Trouble is we haven't got the fans.

Anyone see the fenerbache story in today's paper? They have been ordered to play two home games behind closed doors due to crowd trouble. They found a legal loophole that said it was only men that were to be banned and thus filled the stadium with 41000 women and girls!! Now that's clever.

Edited by BlueJazzer

watching brighton v liverpool on tv at the moment. Still think we need a new stadium as that will provide us with a fresh start all round. Much as i love boundary park and walking down sheepfoot lane with my dad i think its time we moved on. Spoken from the heart.

Thoughts anyone?

Could not agree more, was absolutely dismayed when it was announced we are staying here and it still isn't going down well.

However, as far as I am aware, the lease for the land here has been signed, and the decision has been made that we are staying here, so the constructive thing to do for those behind the scheme would be to look at how we can make the best of what we have.

I would love to know what the alternatives were to staying here once failsworth went tits up, or if indeed their were any alternatives, but I doubt that info will ever come out.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

What makes you think that we won't be getting the same again re flat pack ikea stadium, only on this site not failsworth.

Always makes me laugh when our fans go to doncaster or sumat for a LDV Vans game, with 800 people in the ground, and declare it a 'soul less bowl'

I can confirm 100% that, right this second, brightons new ground is a soul less bowl, because its silent and empty.

Very true but about fans making the atmosphere but you are less likely to make an atmosphere if things feel fake. The first game I saw at Colchester's new ground the atmosphere was good, this season there wasn't one and they won 4-1! If you don't make a new stadium home then you will be struggling for years to come. Everyone is used to BP therefore we should be able to thrive better here than anywhere else.

Very true but about fans making the atmosphere but you are less likely to make an atmosphere if things feel fake. The first game I saw at Colchester's new ground the atmosphere was good, this season there wasn't one and they won 4-1! If you don't make a new stadium home then you will be struggling for years to come. Everyone is used to BP therefore we should be able to thrive better here than anywhere else.

Its often the history or the memories of a place that make it home and give it a special atmosphere. If we moved to a new stadium it would take some adjusting but give it some years and more importantly some success on the pitch creating history and memories and it will feel like its ours.

Hope so. But I suspect many brentford, colchester, yeovil, etcetera fans leave BP and think 'that was :censored:e, theyve got no atmosphere'

What makes you think that we won't be getting the same again re flat pack ikea stadium, only on this site not failsworth.

BP is home and we aren't getting a complete new stadium over night in a completely new area. Ikea stadiums can work if they are made to feel like home. That's down to the fans as well as the people building it.

When I went to Colchester there was a lack of anything when thing atmosphere was miles better at Layer Road. They now have the facilities at the new ground but no atmosphere and all I could think is this would have what OAFC at Failsworth would have been like.

If the likes of Hull, Bolton, Wigan to name a few thought like that, they may not be where they are now. Fair enough, it may not be working at Colchester but moving onto the outskirks of the town didn't seem to do Bolton Wanderers any harm.

And out of interest, what is it that makes it feel fake at Colchester? If its the fact that its a flat pack four cheap ikea stadium ala Shrewsbury and Leigh, then if/when (delete as appropriate) a flatpack ikea stadium is built here, then that would still be fake?

But who knows eh, at the end of the day we don't know what the alternatives were. I can only presume if there were alternatives, it was decided that staying put would be the most viable option.