new stadium

When I went to Colchester there was a lack of anything when thing atmosphere was miles better at Layer Road. They now have the facilities at the new ground but no atmosphere and all I could think is this would have what OAFC at Failsworth would have been like.

I never liked going to Layer Road because it was a complete dump with the worst away stand in the League. I'd prefer to visit their new ground any day.

The rarely-wrong Chron quotes Corney as saying Mike Newton will not be investing in the Club, but it will hopefully get the benefit of his business knowledge. One of Newton’s roles will now be to bring together funding for the planned new Broadway Stand.

While still in its infancy, Corney said that, though progress may not be visible, hard work continues behind the scenes on the council-backed project.

“There is a lot of due diligence to get through. We are starting to draw up plans with architects, but there are still a lot of environmental and planning issues. But we have kicked on. It hasn’t stopped, it is an ongoing process.”

If the likes of Hull, Bolton, Wigan to name a few thought like that, they may not be where they are now. Fair enough, it may not be working at Colchester but moving onto the outskirks of the town didn't seem to do Bolton Wanderers any harm.

And out of interest, what is it that makes it feel fake at Colchester? If its the fact that its a flat pack four cheap ikea stadium ala Shrewsbury and Leigh, then if/when (delete as appropriate) a flatpack ikea stadium is built here, then that would still be fake?

But who knows eh, at the end of the day we don't know what the alternatives were. I can only presume if there were alternatives, it was decided that staying put would be the most viable option.

Hull's new ground is actually nearer the City centre than Boothferry Park was. The difference between their move and a number of other teams is that they have remained in a largely built up residential area but with even easier access. Moving to the outskirts needs that access, which Colchester don't have. Getting to it is a pain in the aris, unlike Notlob and Coventry etc.

Hull's new ground is actually nearer the City centre than Boothferry Park was. The difference between their move and a number of other teams is that they have remained in a largely built up residential area but with even easier access. Moving to the outskirts needs that access, which Colchester don't have. Getting to it is a pain in the aris, unlike Notlob and Coventry etc.

In that way, Failsworth would probably have more in common with Hull's new ground than Col U's. Obviously not walking distance for those who live around BP, but fantastic transport links and for others, could actually be better logistically.

What I was getting at though was you have three clubs there who have all

1) Moved to a new stadium at a new site

2) Gone on and bettered themselves since then, competing at least one division higher than before they moved

3) Overtaken us

If they would have bought into all this 'spiritual home' crap and stayed put, would they have gone on to be playing at the levels they were today?

Think that 'older' fans who can remember the days of packed open terraces and the better vocal support and atmosphere it brought tend to yearn more for staying at the 'spiritual home'.

For Latics fans of a certain age, that is made even more powerful by the memories of the seasons of the late 80s and early 90s - for many (me included) those memories help you put up with some of the crap we have had over the last 15 years.

A new ground wouldn't have these memories for anyone.

I am however not adverse to a new stadium, though preference would be for redeveloping BP, but I would be interested in a proper review of the impact of new stadiums.

In the last 20 years how many new ground have been built? What division were the teams in pre and post move?

For every Hull, there might be a Huddersfield (still in League One)?

If they would have bought into all this 'spiritual home' crap and stayed put, would they have gone on to be playing at the levels they were today?

I've got to agree with Darwin on such things, not the strongest or the most intelligent that survives, it's the most adaptable to change.

OAFC - Strong: meh, intellegent: ?, adaptable to change: NEVER!!!

Edited by jimsleftfoot

If we split the clubs currently in the football league who have moved to a brand new stadium into the following three categories, based on the division they were in when they played their first game at their new stadium, and the division they are in now, it would look something like this

I have simply based the comparison on where the club was in the first season in its new stadium, to where it is now, so ups and downs in between are not included. And there are also some examples such as Brighton and Morecambe who have only just moved.

Clubs currently playing in a higher division since moving stadiums

Wigan (L1 - PREM)

Swansea (L1-PREM)

Doncaster (L1-CHAMP)

Hull (L2-CHAMP)

Stoke (CHAMP - PREM)

Doncaster (L1 - CHAMP)

Reading (L1 - CHAMP)

MK Dons (L2-L1)

Chesterfield (L2-L1)

Sunderland (CHAMP-PREM)

Burton Albion (CONF - L2)

Clubs playing at the same level since moving stadium

Bolton (PREM)

Man City (PREM)

Huddersfield (L1)

Brighton (CHAMP)

Colchester (L1)

Arsenal (PREM)

Shrewsbury (L2)

Leicester City (CHAMP)

Cardiff City (CHAMP)

Coventry (CHAMP)

Morecambe (L2)

Oxford United (L2)

Clubs playing at a lower level since moving stadium

Derby (PREM-CHAMP)

Middlesborough (PREM-CHAMP)

Southampton (PREM-CHAMP)

Darlington (L2-CONF)

Edited by Lookers_Carl

If we split the clubs currently in the football league who have moved to a brand new stadium into the following three categories, based on the division they were in when they played their first game at their new stadium, and the division they are in now, it would look something like this

I have simply based the comparison on where the club was in the first season in its new stadium, to where it is now, so ups and downs in between are not included. And there are also some examples such as Brighton and Morecambe who have only just moved.

Wigan (L1 - PREM)

Swansea (L1-PREM)

Doncaster (L1-CHAMP)

Hull (L2-CHAMP)

Stoke (CHAMP - PREM)

Doncaster (L1 - CHAMP)

Reading (L1 - CHAMP)

MK Dons (L2-L1)

Chesterfield (L2-L1)

Sunderland (CHAMP-PREM)

Bolton (PREM)

Man City (PREM)

Huddersfield (L1)

Brighton (CHAMP)

Colchester (L1)

Arsenal (PREM)

Shrewsbury (L2)

Leicester City (CHAMP)

Cardiff City (CHAMP)

Coventry (CHAMP)

Morecambe (L2)

Derby (PREM-CHAMP)

Southampton (PREM-CHAMP)

Darlington (L2-CONF)

Good post.

Lets move asap.

Wigan (L1 - PREM)

Swansea (L1-PREM)

Doncaster (L1-CHAMP)

Hull (L2-CHAMP)

Stoke (CHAMP - PREM)

Doncaster (L1 - CHAMP)

Reading (L1 - CHAMP)

MK Dons (L2-L1)

Chesterfield (L2-L1)

Sunderland (CHAMP-PREM)

Bolton (PREM)

Man City (PREM)

Huddersfield (L1)

Brighton (CHAMP)

Colchester (L1)

Arsenal (PREM)

Shrewsbury (L2)

Leicester City (CHAMP)

Cardiff City (CHAMP)

Coventry (CHAMP)

Morecambe (L2)

Derby (PREM-CHAMP)

Southampton (PREM-CHAMP)

Darlington (L2-CONF)

I think Oxford United moved to a new stadium in 2001, suffering relegation and enjoying promotion since.

There are a few oddities with new grounds though. Look at the gates Wigwam get - bloody awful for the Prem. Colchester are another example of poor gates - 3,023 when we went a few weeks ago.

Hull's move was unbelieveable attendance wise - over 20,000 for their first match at the KC compared to about 7,000 for their last one at Boothferry Park which, by the way, had its own railway station attached to the ground.

The advantage they had was that the Hull FC egg chasers also wanted to move from the Boulevard, which was falling down around their lug 'oles. Hull City Council pumped a King's ransom into the project.

It would be interesting to find out how much other Councils have injected into the new stadia that Carl has listed. Anyone able to come up with some figures without sitting up all night on t'internet with a calculator?

With regards to how much exactly I wouldnt know, but I think the local councils had financial input with the stadiums of the following clubs, and either part or fully own the stadium

Man City

Swansea

Coventry

Colchester

Hull

Doncaster

Stevenage

Theres probably alot more bt thats all i can think of without trawling the net

With regards to how much exactly I wouldnt know, but I think the local councils had financial input with the stadiums of the following clubs, and either part or fully own the stadium

Man City

Swansea

Coventry

Colchester

Hull

Doncaster

Stevenage

Theres probably alot more bt thats all i can think of without trawling the net

A useful list;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_England