Dickov admits he may have got his selection wrong

Investing time in Dickov is something we really should commit to. Not just the football club, but the fans too.

Investing time in any manager is what this club should have done at some point over the last 10 years. Only one who had a reasonable bit was Ritchie but mostly under the toughest of fiancial restraints.

There have been a string of managers that I've not been THAT keen on myself, but thought that we really need to try the stability factor and would have been willing to see them given 3-5 seasons providing we didn't get relegated.

Think Dickov should be given this season and next season as an absolute minimum. And to be honest I'd probably still back him for another season or two after that if we haven't been scrapping relegation everytime.

Very honest of him admitting he should have played Diallo

http://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/page/NewsUpdate/0,,10337~2467685,00.html

Honest I agree but it was a basic error and even though we had kept a clean sheet second half at Orient, it was obvious that playing Clarke at RB is not the way forward. More so if we believe that Dickov has the opposition watched before we meet them to understand their patterns of play etc, (Brentford - fit athletic side play with two wingers - dangerous away from home)

Still believe though that he was badly let down last week by a number of key individuals and that is ultimately why we lost the game.

He is learning all the time - so let's hope for a more balanced team selection and a more balanced team shape this weekend and a more consistent team performance.

In Dickov we trust.

Sticking with PD will, IMO, pay off. Big Joe didn't have the greatest of starts with no money, but the board stuck by him and look what happened. I'm not suggesting that PD will get us in the Premiership in the next 5 years, but he has shown what he can do and will only get better. The Championship is not an impossibility.

As for his team selection last week, yes he made a mistake. But when you've played as well as we did at Orient for the last hour, granted through an enforced change following Mellor's injury, it's difficult for a manager to say "Well done last week, lads, but some of you won't make it this time".

Many clubs have shown that a settled team is a key to success and this must have been in PD's mind. What he has learned is that sometimes you have to be a bit ruthless and change a winning side when other players are available again, giving what you believe to be your strongest side.

As others have said above, I sincerely hope that PD stays for a long time. I know it's a cliche, but he is a breath of fresh air and it's one that I don't want to see ride off into the sunset at the end of the season. SC says he has a real gem in PD, so let the club reward him with a long term contract and not be ready to boot him out if things go tits up a time or two.

Honest I agree but it was a basic error and even though we had kept a clean sheet second half at Orient, it was obvious that playing Clarke at RB is not the way forward. More so if we believe that Dickov has the opposition watched before we meet them to understand their patterns of play etc, (Brentford - fit athletic side play with two wingers - dangerous away from home)

Still believe though that he was badly let down last week by a number of key individuals and that is ultimately why we lost the game.

He is learning all the time - so let's hope for a more balanced team selection and a more balanced team shape this weekend and a more consistent team performance.

In Dickov we trust.

Decent post Dog; but I firmly believe the blame for last week lies firmly at the feet of PD. Granted the players didn’t reach a level of performance expected; but I firmly believe the marker was set pre-game with PD's poor selection & tactics.

On the flip side; how refreshing to hear a manager admit his mistake; and put his head above the parapit. What he needs to do now is make sure he learns from the mistake & quickly; not repeating it any time soon.

I think that PD has been / continues to be given a great deal of slack by the majority of fans (me included) because of articles like this - he is a young inexperienced manager who is learning as he goes. As long as he does indeed learn; then he needs to be given space & time at our club. I hope we're still singing Dickovs Barmy Army in 5 seasons time*

.* do I think that we will be? No, if I'm honest. We have previous don't we?

I’ve always thought that the hardest part of management, and the part that most managers struggle with, is how to make the right changes when things are going well anyway.

It’s easy to change a team after a bad result or run of results, make substitutions when you are losing etc, but the hard decisions are the subs you make to see out a game when you’re winning anyway, changing a winning team to suit the opposition or if certain players become available again, or adding to a squad that is doing well. Most managers struggle with this, especially the newer ones, but it’s the one’s that show the foresight to see and solve problems before they happen than go on to have a decent managerial career.

Many aren’t given the chance to develop and learn from their mistakes. Make the same error more than once and that’s enough for plenty of fans (not just here, it’s the same everywhere) to want the revolving door spinning again. It’s a difficult job being a football manager, despite everyone thinking they can do it, but if we persevere with someone and allow him time to mature into the job, well you never know, it just might work.

Investing time in any manager is what this club should have done at some point over the last 10 years. Only one who had a reasonable bit was Ritchie but mostly under the toughest of fiancial restraints.

There have been a string of managers that I've not been THAT keen on myself, but thought that we really need to try the stability factor and would have been willing to see them given 3-5 seasons providing we didn't get relegated.

Think Dickov should be given this season and next season as an absolute minimum. And to be honest I'd probably still back him for another season or two after that if we haven't been scrapping relegation everytime.

With the club's finances as they are, for as long as Dickov keeps us in this division, he deserves to keep his job. We can't reasonably expect anything more unless the financial situation changes.

I’ve always thought that the hardest part of management, and the part that most managers struggle with, is how to make the right changes when things are going well anyway.

I'm a bit like that - part of me doesn't like it when we sign players for positions where I like the ones we already had. This would result in an 11 man squad and elimination from the FA for failure to fulfill fixtures, but I would learn from my mistakes when leading the pheonix club back up the pyramid.

He needs to ditch adeyemi for the next game and get winchester in there. Midfield was more of an issue than who played at left back. At least brad knows he will be getting a start tomorrow!

Got a sneaking suspicion he will retain Adeyemi tomorrow with Morais in for Simpson and Diallo in a Left back with Jean Yves dropping to the bench.

Expect the following team tomorrow: Cisak, Lee, Clarke, Diamond, Diallo, Morais,Adeyemi, Wesolowski, Taylor, Reid, Kuqi

Bench: Gerrard, MVoto, Smith, Simpson, Winchester

Got a sneaking suspicion he will retain Adeyemi tomorrow with Morais in for Simpson and Diallo in a Left back with Jean Yves dropping to the bench.

Expect the following team tomorrow: Cisak, Lee, Clarke, Diamond, Diallo, Morais,Adeyemi, Wesolowski, Taylor, Reid, Kuqi

Bench: Gerrard, MVoto, Smith, Simpson, Winchester

Hope not.

Away from home; Morais is a luxury. We would be more solid & have more shape with Simpson there. And Tom A wouldn't be making the starting X1 based on his last performance(s). Carl Winchester scored for the ressies mid week; so for me; he comes into the CM at the expense of the missing in action Adeyemi.

Bradley Diallo to LB is a no-brainer really, and a warranted change IMO.

Hope not.

Away from home; Morais is a luxury. We would be more solid & have more shape with Simpson there. And Tom A wouldn't be making the starting X1 based on his last performance(s). Carl Winchester scored for the ressies mid week; so for me; he comes into the CM at the expense of the missing in action Adeyemi.

Bradley Diallo to LB is a no-brainer really, and a warranted change IMO.

I doubt if either Morais or Winchester will start, Diallo should be a definite.

Tarkowski is coming on leaps and bounds and it won't be long before he's a first team choice IMO.

He needs to ditch adeyemi for the next game and get winchester in there. Midfield was more of an issue than who played at left back. At least brad knows he will be getting a start tomorrow!

I just hope he's been getting some tackling practice in this week. Thought he was a bit fortunate not to get another red for that late tackle against Brentford. I've seen people walk for less. He really does look a cracking player from what i've seen of him but no good if he's suspended all the time....

I agree that Dickov should be allowed time to build a side over a sustained period but no manager is beyond reproach. One of the most heavily criticised managers we had was Big Joe more so once we were being successful, but because our only medium of sounding off was BTB, the pub or the Terraces themselves it went largely unnoticed by the masses. Now we have information overload and a plethora of platforms to analyse, criticise and offer opinion. He got it wrong last weekend and has admitted he did, so as far as i'm concerned it's behind us, and i'm sure there'll be a more balanced side out there today.

The issue I have is a few on here seize on any discussion questioning the manager as a torch waving mob who want to remove the manager….

I agree that Dickov should be allowed time to build a side over a sustained period but no manager is beyond reproach. One of the most heavily criticised managers we had was Big Joe more so once we were being successful, but because our only medium of sounding off was BTB, the pub or the Terraces themselves it went largely unnoticed by the masses. Now we have information overload and a plethora of platforms to analyse, criticise and offer opinion. He got it wrong last weekend and has admitted he did, so as far as i'm concerned it's behind us, and i'm sure there'll be a more balanced side out there today.

The issue I have is a few on here seize on any discussion questioning the manager as a torch waving mob who want to remove the manager….

Spot on - what happened to healthy debate and opinion? I often question the tactics/team choice/substitutions - it doesn't mean I want the manager's head - just want to join in the debate!

Spot on - what happened to healthy debate and opinion? I often question the tactics/team choice/substitutions - it doesn't mean I want the manager's head - just want to join in the debate!

Most of Dickov's substitutions make sense.

Occasionally they're late. Often they don't work. But usually there is a logic to them.

He just had a bad week last week.

The biggest issue is getting the ball on the floor more and the midfield, including the wide players, supporting the front two.

Most of Dickov's substitutions make sense.

Occasionally they're late. Often they don't work. But usually there is a logic to them.

He just had a bad week last week.

The biggest issue is getting the ball on the floor more and the midfield, including the wide players, supporting the front two.

The manager keeps saying that every week, but nothing changes.

Edited by BP1960

Right, just so i know - where is the torch burning mob?

I've not seen it on here, nor heard it on the Oldham pubs i go in

People seem to confuse constructive criticism as manager / club bashing whem it isn't - I've been heavily critical of PD over the last week, but never have I said he needs to go etc

People need to wind it in - yoy can criticise and Pick holes in a manager without burning torches and calling for his head

PD os doing a cracking job under the circumstances, but he ismt immune from criticisme

Right, just so i know - where is the torch burning mob?

I've not seen it on here, nor heard it on the Oldham pubs i go in

People seem to confuse constructive criticism as manager / club bashing whem it isn't - I've been heavily critical of PD over the last week, but never have I said he needs to go etc

People need to wind it in - yoy can criticise and Pick holes in a manager without burning torches and calling for his head

PD os doing a cracking job under the circumstances, but he ismt immune from criticisme

The trouble is some fans are past caring any more, and that's sad for the club.