Watch Sale sharks on sat .................. na

And Wigan (spit) regularly entered a team into the Rugby Sevens RU tournament and won that a couple of times too! If I remember rightly wasn't one of the games you refer to played at Maine Road?

I know one of the games was played at Twickenham,can`t remember where the other was played.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was Maine Road, (thought it was!)

Wigan Beat Bath 82-6 at Maine Road

Bath beat Wigan 44-19 at Twickenham

Article worth a read

"1996

Wigan RLFC, the first rugby league side to play under union laws at Twickenham, won the Middlesex Sevens, defeating Wasps 38-15 in the Final in front of a capacity 61,000 crowd. Fresh from annilhilating Bath 82-6 at Maine Road in the first of their high-profile cross-code clashes, Wigan outclassed the best union had to offer with a squad full of familiar names. Martin Offiah, Scott Quinnell, Va'aiga Tuigamala and Shem Tatupu all had union experience while Jason Robinson, Andy Farrell and Henry Paul went on to switch codes. Another member of the squad was a young Kris Radlinski who was a long-time target of the 15-man code. The team was led by rugby league great Shaun Edwards who became a respected union coach with Wasps, Wales and the British & Irish Lions. Defeated Wasps skipper Lawrence Dallaglio said, "Wigan expected to win and they would have been embarrassed if they hadn't done so. But the games here showed they are going to have trouble with the technicalities against Bath in their return match on Saturday week. They have sheer pace and power but I still reckon Bath will win by 20 to 30 points." Bath went on to beat Wigan 44-19 in their union clash at Twickenham."

Peanut Hugging

If you've ever played Rugby League you'll know that's bollocks and have the scars to prove it….yes Union's more brutal but you only have to look at people like Steve Thompson who play Hooker in RU then compare him to someone like James Roby, Danny Buderus or Michael McIlorum to know that one game relies on boot and brawn and the other skill, guile, power and pace.

That's like comparing the RL hookers to RL props. In Union the hookers have to hook in a scrum and in Union the scrum is intensive, properly contested, involves moving 8 men (not 6) and isn't seen as a light cuddle. How often in RL does a back get involved in the scrum- quite a bit, in Union it hardly ever happens. Not to mention in Union one of the hooker's main jobs is to throw the ball in to a lineout, which is a lot harder than it looks, something that never happens in League. If you were to compare centres or wingers across the codes (which would be a much more equal comparison) then Union would shade it I reckon, although not by much.

Yes 15 years ago Wigan gave Bath a pasting at both Union and League but Union had been professional for about 2 years then, now its been profesional for a generation. If you were to take the England Union team and the England league team now, my money over a game of union and a game of league would be on the union side overall everytime. Wigan won the Middlesex sevens because in 7s scrums are RL-esque, there is very little forward play (so little rucks and mauls), very little kicking and 7s is a lot like league in general.

A good game of one will always be better than a bad game of the other.

And Wigan (spit) regularly entered a team into the Rugby Sevens RU tournament and won that a couple of times too! If I remember rightly wasn't one of the games you refer to played at Maine Road?

RL pace would beat RU strength everytime in Sevens which has wider spaces to run at. Put RL in a full RU XV and they'd get thrashed. And vice-versa. Cue the refercences to the god-awful cross code Wigan vs Bath :censored:e back in 1996.

RL pace would beat RU strength everytime in Sevens which has wider spaces to run at. Put RL in a full RU XV and they'd get thrashed. And vice-versa. Cue the refercences to the god-awful cross code Wigan vs Bath :censored:e back in 1996.

Rats. That'll teach me for not reading thru the thread to the end.

'96? Jesus was it really that long ago?

You going Saturday by the way Rummy? Reckon we'll finally get the Leeds monkey off our back....

'96? Jesus was it really that long ago?

You going Saturday by the way Rummy? Reckon we'll finally get the Leeds monkey off our back....

I'm not unfortunately, and it's killing me. Give 'em a shout will you.

I remember the last time I saw Saints win there against Hull FC. In that season I saw Scully lift every single trophy there was to win, I saw all the games live too. That one cold night in the Reebok beating the Broncos really closed off a great year for Saints. Me and my Dad call it Jamie Lyon's year - with no disrespect meant to the rest of the team, it was fantastic.

I'm not an amazingly commited fan of rugby at either level. I watched Hornets as a lad, so obviously have no eye for talent as such, and have seen a few games I've selected recently (grand finals, Quins in Catalan, etc.). What I have noticed by seeing a few games of both codes is that league is awesome on TV and Union is better to watch live where you can see more going on and the whole momentum of things.

I'd still rather watch League live, but I think that is my Northernness rather than actual entertainment talking.

NB. I agree with Prozac earlier though. Watch Sale and you are stabbing small clubs like ours in the back after what they did to Stockport.

To add to this when Wigan & Bath were dominating their respective leagues in League & Union in the 90's a two legged match was arranged whereby the two sides played each other,one game with League rules,the other with Union rules.Wigan slaughtered Bath at League & Bath didn't win by anywhere near the same margin in the Union game.Proof that League is better!

Union is a different game now, they were barely professional when the games took place, players are much fitter after working with coaches brought in from league.

The two sports are closer than they've been for some time, once contested scrums are outlawed you might as well merge the sports, it's what Uncle Rupert would like in Australia.

I remember the last time I saw Saints win there against Hull FC. In that season I saw Scully lift every single trophy there was to win, I saw all the games live too. That one cold night in the Reebok beating the Broncos really closed off a great year for Saints. Me and my Dad call it Jamie Lyon's year - with no disrespect meant to the rest of the team, it was fantastic.

Lyon was awesome last week in the NRL final, I was there in 2006 too and unfortunately in 2007, 2008, and had to endure the Wigan supporting missus sat next to me last year, and watching the goons win at Wembley this year, so I hope we can finally win one for the first time in 5 years. Leeds aren't the team they were and if we play with the power and pace we've shown in the Play Offs, we'll win. (If it doesn't rain!)

Still think it's bollocks that 3rd and 5th are contesting the Grand Final but hey ho that's the beauty of the Play Off system and I will care not a jot if Saints are celebrating come 8 o'clock on Saturday night!!! COYS!

Went looking at the new stadium over the summer, wow! Gonna be a great venue for RL!

Be great to finally have closure on Jamie Lyon by meeting his Manly side for the WCC in February, be nice to say a proper goodbye and show our appreciation again but one step at a time, 80 minutes from greatness tomorrow night and for a team of kids and crocks that's not too bad!

To add to this when Wigan & Bath were dominating their respective leagues in League & Union in the 90's a two legged match was arranged whereby the two sides played each other,one game with League rules,the other with Union rules.Wigan slaughtered Bath at League & Bath didn't win by anywhere near the same margin in the Union game.Proof that League is better!

To be fair, at the time RU was played by fat amateurs more interested in drinking ghames and childishly rude songs.

Taking 6 RU types who have ever watched a game of RL in their lives to Wembley on bonfire noight for the international double hearder. Should be fun.

Stuff it.

NFL would hammer all those pansies altogether. You soccer loving fools. Jussayin.

I've tried, I really have but what a complete nonsense of a "sport"

I was running a management training course a few years back and a Superbowl winning New York Giants defensive end (George Martin) was in my class. I wouldn't have told him that...

I've tried, I really have but what a complete nonsense of a "sport"

I was running a management training course a few years back and a Superbowl winning New York Giants defensive end (George Martin) was in my class. I wouldn't have told him that...

*Bend over, shout a few random numbers, throw ball, teammate catches it, play stops for ten minutes* Dire sport.

The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about :wink:

I know if the quarterback throws a 69er the receiver scores a touchdown. WHOOP GO PATRIOTS!

Strangely enough I was actually wearing a New England t-shirt when I posted earlier. Although I was given it by an american, and it's extremely comfortable...

Lyon was awesome last week in the NRL final, I was there in 2006 too and unfortunately in 2007, 2008, and had to endure the Wigan supporting missus sat next to me last year, and watching the goons win at Wembley this year, so I hope we can finally win one for the first time in 5 years. Leeds aren't the team they were and if we play with the power and pace we've shown in the Play Offs, we'll win. (If it doesn't rain!)

You know the game's being played in Manchester in October, right?

It's a miracle Saints have made the final at all so i suppose we should just be grateful they're there, but i've spent all week thinking "oh please God i can't face getting beat by Leeds AGAIN". Neither team's anywhere near as good as they were, neither team were really expecting to be there, so anything could happen. Should be a good game for the neutrals. I'd definitely recommend going to the beer and chocolate festival in Manchester then watching this, rather than heading to the crappest bit of Stockport to watch yawnion.