FIFA ban England from wearing poppies on shirt

I'm sorry, but we should wear them anyway.

If FIFA take any negative action in response we should tell them to :censored: off and set up our own international football federation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15606557.stm

It's completely ridiculous. How is it political/religious?

It's remembering people who fought to protect Europe not just Britain.

Edited by oafcmad09

I'll buy a poppy this year like I always do.

But I understand and agree with FIFA's stance. If they allow a Poppy then where will it stop? USA adding a symbol for 9/11, Pakistan adding a symbol for the Pakistan-Indian War, and so on...it could, and most probably would, get very silly.

Edited by Yard Dog

So why allow the black ribbons to be worn on the England shirts when Diana died?

FIFA an organisation based in Switzerland, a country that has forever been more interested in counting its money than fighting for freedom…tell them to :censored: off and donate the percentage that gets paid to FIFA/UEFA when any International match is played to the Royal British Legion or better still pay someone to stab that :censored: Blatter in the head….

I'll buy a poppy this year like I always do.

But I understand and agree with FIFA's stance. If they allow a Poppy then where will it stop? USA adding a symbol for 9/11, Pakistan adding a symbol for the Pakistan-Indian War, and so on...it could, and most probably would, get very silly.

The poppy is an internationally recognised symbol of rememberance.

It was first used in the USA.

Most commonwealth countries, including India and Pakistan also use the poppy in a similar way.

This is a long established symbol.

I really do think the FA should have the balls to defy FIFA on this.

I would have said article 10, right for freedom of expression?

In that case can we bin Vauxhall as our sponsor for the night and have 'Blatter is a :censored:' on our fishal coach in arriving at Wembley, on the warm up tops, and the advert links during the tv coverage……."England Internationals, in conjunction with 'Blatter is a :censored:…' now that's freedom of speech...

In that case can we bin Vauxhall as our sponsor for the night and have 'Blatter is a :censored:' on our fishal coach in arriving at Wembley, on the warm up tops, and the advert links during the tv coverage……."England Internationals, in conjunction with 'Blatter is a :censored:…' now that's freedom of speech...

Now that I would pay to see :lol:

I would ask what’s the point of wearing it for an International match?

Yes commonwealth countries recognise it (I wonder why?), as do a few other countries that traditionally are allied with the commonwealth, but more importantly, Spain don’t. Given that England and Spain were on opposing sides in World War 2, I don’t really see wearing it as being a particularly unifying symbol.

Having done some brief research;

FIFA's Regulations regarding Players' Equipment are that they should not carry any political, religious or commercial messages. FIFA has 208 Member Associations and the same regulations are applied globally, and uniformally, in the event of similar requests by other nations to commemorate historical events.

FIFA fully acknowledges the significance of the Poppy Appeal and the ways in which it helps commemorate Remembrance Day on 11 November each year. FIFA understands the wish of The FA to respect and commemorate the lives of members of their armed forces, and following further correspondence has approved The FA's request for a minute's silence to be observed prior to kick-off, when England host the reigning European and World champions Spain at Wembley Stadium on Saturday 12 November.

England will get to wear their poppy's on the warm-up kit - this will be auctioned off for charity, and the event will observe a minutes silence prior to kick off. jimsleftfoot makes a good point about not creating "international unease" with our opposition on the night being Spanish; and we all know Franco was a bit of a :censored:. So let's face it, not much really to get upset about is there. All in accordance to FIFA's rules. Everybody wins.

Apart from the Daily Mail readers.

EXCLUSIVE: Poppy ban on England kit

enforced 'in case we upset Germans'

By LAURA WILLIAMSON

:petesake: