RIP Gary Speed

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You only have to look here - already 3 people have admitted they've suffered or are suffering, which, when you consider the relativly small pot of people which post on here shows the scale of the problem.

it's so much more common than the vast majority think

Depression is known as 'the common cold of mental health' - not because it's minor and will go away in a couple of days, but because it is so prevalent.

You only have to look here - already 3 people have admitted they've suffered or are suffering, which, when you consider the relativly small pot of people which post on here shows the scale of the problem.

it's so much more common than the vast majority think

And credit to you 3 for coming out and having the courage to talk about it openly.

I'm no expert in this and their people on this board in the medical proffession who are better qualified than me to talk about it but I belive it is a problem particularly in young men as opening upto something like this I'm sure can be very hard, maybe the fear of people thinking less of you for it.

Rememeber a couple of years ago thinking if we could of given him a chance to cut his teeth as a manager you could tell he had all the qualities to become a top manager.

If there is anyone out there who feels the need to talk to someone please know you're not alone. People are always out there who want to support you in your fight.

These may be of use:

[1] http://www.mind.org.uk

[2] http://www.nhs.uk/Li.../Helplines.aspx

[3] http://www.depressionalliance.org

[4] http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk

[5] http://www.bbc.co.uk.../mental_health/

[6] http://www.sane.org.uk/

Also dont forget http://www.samaritans.org/

Especially coming up to one of the toughest times of the year for both families and individuals

I suffer from depression and it can be a really debilitating condition. My advice to anybody is to tell people that you are suffering.

Its really tough to do so...you create a mask in order to hide it. I don't know why, perhaps its the stigma, perhaps its the misconceptions about others thinking you are 'mental' and could turn at any second. The fact is that its a very personal illness until you take the step to admit it. From personal experience, actually admitting it is the hardest, yet the best thing that you can do...as the admission makes you feel so much better than than the depression makes you feel bad.

There are also some things that you can do without medication. Exercise releases endorphins and seratonin, and any exercise helps. I try to run a couple of miles per day and even though I am a long way off the London 2012 Olympics I feel better when I exercise regularly. Sunlight is also a good thing, as I always feel better when there is a bright sunny day, winter or summer (not a good thing if you live in Oldham!!)

On the down side, alcohol is a major no no. It is a depressant and actually ends up lowering your mood. Not only that, but you also have to cope with the problems of a hangover!! Also, if you are feeling down, then try and get out of the house. Its easy to say that daytime TV is depressing, but if you get out and interact with people then it does help to raise your mood. You may find places and interests that you never knew you had - Museums, Art Galleries, Rambling in the moors, window shopping?

Finally, don't expect to "snap out of it" and don't allow people to tell you that you will "snap out". Many people did with me and I believed them, and when I didn't I was even more down.

If you admit it, and make positive steps then you have made some progress. Some progress leads to more progress etc etc.

Gary, like Robert Enke before him tragically seemed to have let their masks cover their illness.

If you think you have a friend displaying any symptoms of depression please talk to them. Dont force them to admit their illness, as they will withdraw, but let them know you are there.

And don't blame it on supporting Oldham...we could be Stockport County fans....

For those who suffer from depression, me included, what an articulate post on the trials and tribulations of a sufferer! It really is the worse thing in the world when you can't put your finger on why you can barely get yourself out of bed. Before, anyone says buck your ideas up! I've travelled the world, have some good close friends (which helps), and have re-trained at the age of 27 into a reasonably good profession! I'll give you an example of what can set off a depresion sufferer rather close to home for all of us. And before anyone says anything this is not a dig at the website! On numerous occasions when I've commented on here and received a reply that has got under my skin it has then sent me into a depression. To 90% of people they would just shrug it of, but to some it may just be the trigger that sends someone into that vicous circle of negative thoughts! That is it, a trigger, it can be stress at work, bullying, a women not answering a text for 3 days, whatever really. A depression sufferer distorts the truth and it just builds and builds until either you talk to someone or you hit rock bottom.

I'll echo for me the most important point, in my opinion,by the poster above. If you want to help someone suffering from depression! Do not tell them to snap out of it! You will only make them feel worse!

On a positive note, I would say I lead a happy life 80% of the time so I must be doing something right to combat it :)

cheers

Edited by laticsmad

I was first diagnosed in 2002 and its been peaks and troughs ever since. I think it really brave of the people who have admitted being a sufferer. I certainly never thought, I would saying this on here.

I just really wanted to reiterate what everyone is saying help is available if you think you need it. And there has been some really good tips of coping and supporting people with depression. A lot of what I read above brought a smile to my face, and in some ways it felt like a weight had been taken off my shoulders, because I have thought similar thoughts and been through similar things.

The scary thing for me is that I never know just low I am until I have started to feel an improvement. So the admitting there is a problem comes after the worst is over. But I have a good support network in place who usually recognise when I'm slipping down and drag me out of the house, it really is surprising what a few hours in the sun can do.

Not sure it matters, regardless of the reason Speed did what he did, one outcome has been quite a few men have admitted to themselves that they have an issue with their mental health which has to be a good outcome from a sad event.

Exactly what I was going to say. Let's face it, suicide is almost always linked to mental health problems. Whether it was or not in this case, it's a very positive result that it is having this effect. I would say too that anyone in good mental health would be very unlikely to do something like that, even if the stuff about the tabloids is true.

Reading this thread has forced me to admit I have an issue. After spending 6 years re-training I'm still struggling to find a full-time position and since qualifying in 2010 over the last 18 months I have gradually felt lower and lower. My self-confidence has evaporated and i'll be honest I've often felt a burden to my family and that they'd be better off without me. Being out of work is hard, I come from a family where the men find it hard to show emotion and several times over the last few months I've been at breaking point. Despite my best efforts i'm nowhere nearer securing that position that I feel would make all the difference. I thought I was getting somewhere with the supply, but the agency I was with have let me down badly, and I feel like i'm back at square one. There's nothing more demoralising than getting up in the morning day after day with nothing to look forward to. My wife tries to understand the best she can, but she's got her career and the security and self-esteem that comes with it, but the ball of frustration and helplessness inside is just getting bigger by the day. I feel like i'm in a vicious circle and have no idea how to stop the rot.

There's other things going in my life too, my dad's in poor health and we do a lot of running about for my grandma. The biggest issue is that I have gone from being highly-motivated to simply 'meh' about everything the feeling of failure can be overwhelming at times. All I want after 6 years of working my butt off is someone to show faith in me...

Being out of work is terrible for your self-esteem. It's so frustrating to think that you just need someone to give you a chance. And now is a rotten time to be looking.

Hang in there. I was out of work for a while - after walking away from a teaching job, ironically - a few years ago, having decided it wasn't for me. I sent hundreds of applications and got nothing but rejections (often nothing at all). Not even an interview for months. Eventually an agency I'd registered with months earlier, who had offered me nothing during that time, called as they were absolutely desperate for a temp. All of sudden I got three interviews elsewhere. This put the pressure on the place I was temping to offer me something permanent. And I'm still there now.

It will happen in time. I know it's easier said than done but try not to let it get you down.

Are there any voluntary work options, that might help you get a foot in the door somewhere?

I was quite lucky with my employer. They moved me from a high pressured sales role to a cushy "made up" desk job for an extended period of time. No impact on income.

But, after several months, the inevitable pressures on budget arrived and somebody decided that I should be made to start applying for proper jobs within the company. 16 interviews and rejections was a hell of a lot to take ... probably not helped by my own honesty as to how I'd found myself doing what I was doing (nobody ever told me to lie). I can only begin to imagine what it must be like for people who don't have the certainty of income I had during that awful time.

In the end the business unit "found" a proper job for me bypassing the usual selection process and I've been promoted twice since - although those events in themselves proved stressful as I had to manage my own fear of failure once appointed. It's several years since I was last depressed (in the clinical sense) and I think I manage my mind in a smarter way now that I used to.

Oddly, I don't work as hard as I used to. I take more breaks. I go home earlier most nights.

Question for all those who suffer from depression! Have you ever suffered from Deja vu type symptoms!? At first I though it was just a case of Deja Vu. Then I realised this was usually the trigger for feeling hot sweats then just needing to be alone and I basically just basically not really wanting/or be able to move for a few hours! This usually happens when something unpredicatble is happening or in a very stressful situation! I realise this may just be a panic attack, but this and the feeling really down usually happens in tandem!

Sorry for sharing abit to much information but I don't know any of you guys and would be interested in knowing has anyone else felt these really quite frightening type of deja vue experiences!?

cheers