Cup Fever - Latics Get Liverpool

120 members have voted

1. 1. PRE-CUP DRAW: If you could only win one of the two cup games, which would you pick?

• Southend (FA Cup)
    • Bradford (JPT)
  2. 2. POST-CUP DRAW

• Bradford (JPT)
    • Southend (FA Cup replay)

Just had a quick nosey on one of the Liverpool forums to see what (if anything) they were saying about the draw.

I have to say I'm astounded and a little disappointed by the lack of football knowledge evident within.

One user's response was "Off to check what league they're in" whilst tens of others were just laughing...

I'd love either us OR Southend to stick it to the Scouse sods. I've no idea where their reputation as 'proper' football supporters comes from.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had a quick nosey on one of the Liverpool forums to see what (if anything) they were saying about the draw.

I have to say I'm astounded and a little disappointed by the lack of football knowledge evident within.

One user's response was "Off to check what league they're in" whilst tens of others were just laughing...

I'd love either us OR Southend to stick it to the Scouse sods. I've no idea where their reputation as 'proper' football supporters comes from.

That reputation was earned by their atmosphere on European football nights when they were good enough to play in the Champions League. It was contrived by the commentators on ITV including the awful Jim Beglin, who isn't biased in anyway and ITV have loads of football, so can recognise a good atmosphere when they hear it. It has nothing to do with European games being on a midweek so the half of Ireland and Norway etc. that come over for Premier League games can't make it.

Every club in the Premier League has proper football fans but during a cup tie against a lower league team the number in the stadium is increased as more proper football fans turn up from the away supporters. I bet quite a few of the Liverpool fans that go these days don't realise that we have played them in the league and the last time we played them at Anfield it was only a dubious amount of extra time which gave them the victory.

In the rarely-wrong Chron, Simon Corney spells out the possible financial benefits to the Club from the two cup runs.

Straight from the horse's mouth

Corney warned that beating Southend in the replay, in addition to making it to Wembley for the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final, would only take care of just over half of the club’s potential losses this year.

“We made £140,000 from the Everton game,” Corney added. “So looking at it, there may be a few more in attendance at Liverpool which could take it up to around £180,000. It is not quite the half-million jackpot some might think it is.

“Similarly with the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, we make nothing until and unless we make the final. If we manage both, then that would probably make us £600,000, which would be great. But that is against a shortfall this year which is in excess of £1million.

That reputation was earned by their atmosphere on European football nights when they were good enough to play in the Champions League. It was contrived by the commentators on ITV including the awful Jim Beglin, who isn't biased in anyway and ITV have loads of football, so can recognise a good atmosphere when they hear it. It has nothing to do with European games being on a midweek so the half of Ireland and Norway etc. that come over for Premier League games can't make it.

Every club in the Premier League has proper football fans but during a cup tie against a lower league team the number in the stadium is increased as more proper football fans turn up from the away supporters. I bet quite a few of the Liverpool fans that go these days don't realise that we have played them in the league and the last time we played them at Anfield it was only a dubious amount of extra time which gave them the victory.

I thought as much. They are no more deserving of that reputation than any other club would be.

It's not just the ITV that are up their arse though, Its all the media. They just love their history and that lovely cabaret song they sing before the match.

It’s a real whammy of a draw - but the pessimistic latics fan in me can't get excited yet, coz it'd be just bloody typical for us to go and stuff it up & lose the reply……..

But, the prospect of a money spinning trip to Anfield is such a carrot for the club, that surely; surely we can't stuff it up, can we?

Massive game tomorrow though - I want the lads to remain focussed as we have a realistic chance of a trip to Wembley on the cards too

No simpson for the replay, no diamond (probably) - the replay is not gunna be easy.

Just found this - Southend view - and if we think we need some money, they do too. That's why we've got to take advantage of the ticket prices and get behind the team tomorrow and a week on tuesday.

i'm hoping it isnt the attitude of the players but surely we've got to be putting more effort in against Bradford and Southend than against Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton with the chances of Wembley and Anfield on offer? There'll also be more income from the two league games than normal too so it's an important month with four of the hardest games we'll have faced all season.

In the rarely-wrong Chron, Simon Corney spells out the possible financial benefits to the Club from the two cup runs.

Straight from the horse's mouth

Corney warned that beating Southend in the replay, in addition to making it to Wembley for the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy final, would only take care of just over half of the club’s potential losses this year.

“We made £140,000 from the Everton game,” Corney added. “So looking at it, there may be a few more in attendance at Liverpool which could take it up to around £180,000. It is not quite the half-million jackpot some might think it is.

“Similarly with the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, we make nothing until and unless we make the final. If we manage both, then that would probably make us £600,000, which would be great. But that is against a shortfall this year which is in excess of £1million.

If Simon Corney said pigs can fly over Boundary Park would you believe him Diego. It is in his interests to make it out that we still loose money despite potentially 2 big money games. How is our shortfall in excess of 1 million- when we aren't paying the wages we used to pay, we are getting more ticket revenue, thanks to the increase in price for the big games and good attendances from the away fans, our shortfall was rumoured to be around £800k in a standard year (and that rumour stemmed from Corney's mouth) how come it is £200k more this year, with a smaller squad. I think we might make a profit from the Bradford game and probably the Northern final (if we get there), especially as one of the final's 2 games will be televised I think. However, that profit probably doesn't cover the losses we have made in the competition already but getting to Wembley would make us a profit in the competition as a whole. I have no idea how much money we might make from the Liverpool game IF we get there but it will not be hard to work out once the attendance is known and the ticket prices (plus if the club had any sense they'd sell more in the shop), and the prize money as well.

By my calculations our share of the gate recipes for Everton was £225k, we had extra prize money, extra TV money (being featured on MOTD got us more money). Plus a full house against Huddersfield (making us £100k), our cup run that year may not have wiped out our losses for the year but it will have come close. I don't think we will make half a million quid for the game at Anfield (IF we get there) but we will make a darn sight bit more than £180k.

If Simon Corney said pigs can fly over Boundary Park would you believe him Diego. It is in his interests to make it out that we still loose money despite potentially 2 big money games. How is our shortfall in excess of 1 million- when we aren't paying the wages we used to pay, we are getting more ticket revenue, thanks to the increase in price for the big games and good attendances from the away fans, our shortfall was rumoured to be around £800k in a standard year (and that rumour stemmed from Corney's mouth) how come it is £200k more this year, with a smaller squad. I think we might make a profit from the Bradford game and probably the Northern final (if we get there), especially as one of the final's 2 games will be televised I think. However, that profit probably doesn't cover the losses we have made in the competition already but getting to Wembley would make us a profit in the competition as a whole. I have no idea how much money we might make from the Liverpool game IF we get there but it will not be hard to work out once the attendance is known and the ticket prices (plus if the club had any sense they'd sell more in the shop), and the prize money as well.

By my calculations our share of the gate recipes for Everton was £225k, we had extra prize money, extra TV money (being featured on MOTD got us more money). Plus a full house against Huddersfield (making us £100k), our cup run that year may not have wiped out our losses for the year but it will have come close. I don't think we will make half a million quid for the game at Anfield (IF we get there) but we will make a darn sight bit more than £180k.

You haven't factored in the expenditure of the whole thing. If we are taking a cut of the the gate reciepts it will be based on profit from the day rather than just the income so while we will make some money fron the gate reciepts we will have to make a contribution to the police and stewarding and general running costs for the day of Anfield.

What a lot of knickers getting twisted about tickets for (possible) match at Liverpool.

ST holders will get first priority . Quite rightly. We have about 2500 - if all were allowed two tickets (as I think was the case at Everton?) many of the extra ones would be bought on behalf of regular supporters. There will be over 6000 available , we took 5500 to Goodison.

Part of the benefits of being a ST holder is getting first go at tickets. That's life.

I agree ST holders should get first access to tickets. If people don't like it, buy a ST!

Given the 6,000 allocation it probably makes sense to let ST holders have up to two each.

Edited by oafc0000

You haven't factored in the expenditure of the whole thing. If we are taking a cut of the the gate reciepts it will be based on profit from the day rather than just the income so while we will make some money fron the gate reciepts we will have to make a contribution to the police and stewarding and general running costs for the day of Anfield.

Agreed, I certainly haven't noticed anyone mentioning VAT which straight away knocks 20% or 1/5 off the income. With little idea of what the costs are, I find it utterly laughable that people wish to criticise someome for trying to pass on such information.

Funnily enough though, in one article I saw, one of the Southend players is banging on about em making a million from it!

Edited by jimsleftfoot