Obviously it's a big 'if' had Cisak not gifted Southend their goal we would be sitting here typing we'd just witnessed one of the best goalkeeping performances in a Latics shirt. Not the busiest a Latics keeper had been during a match by a country mile however what he had to do he did fantastically well with a couple of outstanding saves. More than made up for his poor clearance for their lofted goal.

should have come for it against bury and didnt

should have stayed against southend and didnt

both mistakes cost us wins imo

he's been steady and has made some good saves but he has a lot of work to do yet before we can say he's the besy we've had in years

Didn't go yesterday so can't comment about Southend but from what I've seen he's been good. Does the simple stuff really well. Even in the MK game with a slippery surface he looks comfortable and the majority of the time the ball sticks. Definite improvement and I reckon he'll go on to play a higher level.

should have come for it against bury and didnt

should have stayed against southend and didnt

both mistakes cost us wins imo

he's been steady and has made some good saves but he has a lot of work to do yet before we can say he's the besy we've had in years

In goalkeeping terms he's a kid, even younger than Brill, he saves more than he concedes. I'd like to see more clean sheets from him. As for the goal yesterday, yes it was a crap clearance but how much time does Hall have, who's putting their foot in? No-one! The ball watching midfield are equally culpable. Same with the Bury game, Clarke should have dealt with it, sick of seeing throughout the game at every level this shielding the ball bollocks - feckin' deal with it!

Most consistent keeper we've had since Kelly imho, as I say, improve the clean sheets ratio and we'll be on to a good 'un. AND he's got competition now from Bouzanis. The one major compliment I can pay Alex is that unlike most keepers we've had over the last four or five years, my heart is never in my mouth when the ball is near our goal. With people like Brill any sort of effort would often result in a goal.

Edited by oafcprozac

My view of their goal was that, yes, it was a poor clearance under pressure but that Scapuzzi once again wasted possession on the edge of their area and made a poor decision. So many times he gifted the opposition the ball. So talented but he winds me up.

he was under no pressure and if he stayed in his box the ball would have rolled to him

he rushed out when he didnt need to, but we got away with it so win the replay and if he learns from it then ok

he was under no pressure and if he stayed in his box the ball would have rolled to him

he rushed out when he didnt need to, but we got away with it so win the replay and if he learns from it then ok

It's easy with hindsight, but he didn't need to come rushing out; as there lad (Moshi ??) was never going to get to it before it dropped into his area.

That said - I want my 'Keeper to be decisive and Cisak was - it was just that his clearance once he'd made the decision to come was pants.

The lad (& he is just that - in goalkeeping terms he's just a kid) has been a very shrewd addition to our side. IMO he's the best contracted 'Keeper we've had since Kelly, and the best we've had since Lee Grant if we're including Loanees.

I'm not twitchy or nervous when the opposition take shots at goal, crosses come into our box or free kicks are conceded around the edge of the area…….and I think that's one of the biggest compliments you can give a 'Keeper.

Being realistic - whichever 'Keeper came in was always going to be an improvement over Brill; just as long as they could stop a shot, set a wall up properly and just bloody catch a cross. However, Cisak has exceeded expectations. IMO he's destined for a higher level; I just hope that's with us (but in reality it won't be)

I just hope the knuckle-draggers don't start to get on his back anytime soon……………

A lot of people would see his mistake on the replays and think he's cost us a guarenteed place in the 3rd round against Liverpool. Yet some of the saves he pulled off to keep us in it were truely amazing!

He's been a solid keeper and not a liability like Brill. He's made a couple of mistakes but so have every player so far. I can see why Stanley fans were dissapointed to see him leave.

• 2 weeks later...

The 3 saves in the first half were fantastic, what was also telling was that the players reaction to the saves were "Alex will save that". They have so much confidence in him, he seems a quiet lad who just gets on with his work, some of the crowd get on his back as he doesn't release the ball quickly at times but I think his calmness permeates through the team.

Definitely one of the best keepers we have had in a long time.

The 3 saves in the first half were fantastic, what was also telling was that the players reaction to the saves were "Alex will save that". They have so much confidence in him, he seems a quiet lad who just gets on with his work, some of the crowd get on his back as he doesn't release the ball quickly at times but I think his calmness permeates through the team.

Definitely one of the best keepers we have had in a long time.

That was winding me up last night.

I felt the players were too tense and 'on edge' - Cisak was nice and calm all night, and he wasn't rushing to release the ball - which I fully agreed with. Had he been kick-rushing; it would have quickly spread through the side & put out a panic message that we had to force it; which we didn't.

On a horrible night, his kicking was again top-draw and those 3 first half saves kept us in it. I'd have expected a decent 'Keeper to save them; but with some of the dross we've had down the years - some would have shipped all 3 of them in. I was never 'head in hands' as any of them flew to goal - I have that much confidence in the lad. His defenders and the rest of the team do too & it shows.

Absolutely the best we've had since Lee Grant, and Kelly before that. Imperative we keep hold of him.

Great work Alex!!!

The one I liked the most was one when the ball straight to him but, all he had to do was get down on his knees and catch it. He did with no fuss, but if it had been Brill (and I liked him) god knows what would have happened, throught the legs, punched out to an oncoming forward, anything. I'm just starting to relax after two years on the edge when the oppo shoot.

The one I liked the most was one when the ball straight to him but, all he had to do was get down on his knees and catch it. He did with no fuss, but if it had been Brill (and I liked him) god knows what would have happened

I turned to my dad after Cisak make that save and said "Brill would have let that in"!

He's a great keeper and will play at a higher level - we're lucky to have him.

He does occasionally look uncertain on crosses but a lot of our fans forget he's only a young lad.